Overclocking My GTX 970 Strix?

Hey guys, so i am very passionate about overclocking my CPU as many of my friends know. I have it at 4.7Ghz at 1.20 volts :P. But i have my 2 week old GTX 970 Strix here and i have never liked overclocking GPU's because i know it can decrease their life span by alot. CPU's aren't that much to worry about because CPU's tend to last for at least a decade without overclocking and overclocking it will only decrease its lifespan by 2 years out of 10?. Besides, my point is should i overclock my graphics card? is it dangerous? is it worth it? does anyone have suggestions on what volts/clock speed to set it too?.

Thanks in advance :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

4 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Hey guys, so i am very passionate about overclocking my CPU as many of my friends know. I have it at 4.7Ghz at 1.20 volts :P. But i have my 2 week old GTX 970 Strix here and i have never liked overclocking GPU's because i know it can decrease their life span by alot. CPU's aren't that much to worry about because CPU's tend to last for at least a decade without overclocking and overclocking it will only decrease its lifespan by 2 years out of 10?. Besides, my point is should i overclock my graphics card? is it dangerous? is it worth it? does anyone have suggestions on what volts/clock speed to set it too?.

Thanks in advance :P

Overclocking is always a risk, but you should be able to do it safely. It's "free" performance and your GPUs should handle the temps/volts. I dont know any settings but there are many presets and guides  online. I think its worth it.

Just now, Savir said:

Overclocking is always a risk, but you should be able to do it safely. It's "free" performance and your GPUs should handle the temps/volts. I dont know any settings there are many presets online. I think its worth it.

Okay, thanks darth vader! xD

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

it is just like the cpu's when overclocking with lifespan and all you do is get something like afterburner and just guess and check to see if its stable and if it doesn't work/ crashes just restart your computer and try again jay does a way better job at explaining it than me just watch his video

1 minute ago, ProKeero said:

Okay, thanks darth vader! xD

BTW you are crazy for overclocking your 4690K to 4.7. What are your average temps on load? 

it's worth it, for beginners I wouldnt touch the voltage (plus you'd have to custom flash your bios to do it anyway) cards like the strix are meant to be overclocked, just play with the settings until it's borderline unstable and back off the clock a bit. MSI Afterburner is the easiest OC software to play around with and it shouldnt shorten your card's life at all as long as it stays cool, I keep my cards in the mid 70s or lower but you can go up to the low 80s, that's pushing it though and the boost will drop a bit around those temps

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

1 minute ago, Savir said:

BTW you are crazy for overclocking your 4690K to 4.7. What are your average temps on load? 

With a hyper 212 evo i get 80 degrees max :P.

Just now, ProKeero said:

With a hyper 212 evo i get 80 degrees max :P.

A hyper 212? Damn dude.

1 minute ago, HrutkayMods said:

it's worth it, for beginners I wouldnt touch the voltage (plus you'd have to custom flash your bios to do it anyway) cards like the strix are meant to be overclocked, just play with the settings until it's borderline unstable and back off the clock a bit. MSI Afterburner is the easiest OC software to play around with and it shouldnt shorten your card's life at all as long as it stays cool, I keep my cards in the mid 70s or lower but you can go up to the low 80s, that's pushing it though and the boost will drop a bit around those temps

Okay, that explains alot thanks dude! i'm running at +225 core clock and +500 Mem clock. Does the memory overclock make a difference?

1 minute ago, Savir said:

A hyper 212? Damn dude.

I have won the silicon lottery xD

Just now, ProKeero said:

Okay, that explains alot thanks dude! i'm running at +225 core clock and +500 Mem clock. Does the memory overclock make a difference?

mem clock a little but core clock is where the big gains are at. and wow that's a great OC!

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

Just now, HrutkayMods said:

mem clock a little but core clock is where the big gains are at. and wow that's a great OC!

Lol i seem to get the best luck at everything! xD. Well not with ma SSD if you check my signature :(.

8 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

remember to run valley to make sure it's stable i ran mine for like an hour and a half

Just now, Thatguy676 said:

remember to run valley to make sure it's stable i ran mine for like an hour and a half

Im running it right now xD.

2 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Im running it right now xD.

just go till it crashes

the way i do it is if it can run like 20 min then i up it more and more then once it does crash kinda lower it down a bit then go for the full hour or so but i got a 380x and amd isn't really known for there high overclocks i got a stable 1,250mhz tho :P