23 members have voted

1. 1. What should I try next?

• KDE (Kubuntu)
    • XFCE (Xubuntu)
    • Pantheon (elementary)
    • Mate (Ubuntu Mate)
    • Cinnamon (Mint)
    • Stick with Gnome (Ubuntu Gnome)

Since Ubuntu 15.04 released I have been using Ubuntu Gnome on both my laptop and desktop. I like it a lot but I still want to branch out and try a lot of desktops. So when 16.04 releases next week I want to pick something different. I have been leaning on KDE or XFCE. With me already playing around with XFCE in virtual box. I will be customizing the desktop that is picked to my liking and I'll use it for the summer/fall of this year. So I thought I would make it more interesting by asking what you guys think I should try next. I have experience in Pantheon but I never stick around, and I have used Unity for years. I'm willing to go Mint if it is voted but I have had bad experiences in the past with it. 

If you vote... What kind of theme/icon pack do you really like? I'm curious about what options there are. Feel free to reccomend other Ubuntu based distributions, I won't go outside of Ubuntu for now though. I need something that I'm familiar with for my school work.

Here is a screenshot of what I have done on my Xubuntu VBox so far.

Screenshot%20from%202016-04-13%2011-55-3

Lord of Helium.

I'm not too keen on ricing actually, just using vanilla Mint with Cinnamon.

I like Gnome's 'start' menu, but the huge title bars and the baffling decisions to remove the window list from the task bar and compact view from Nautilus keep me from using it.

Gnome with numix pack is my go to theme. Since you're around to try a new desktop there would be solus/budgie or if you prefer rolling budgie/manjaro. 

https://solus-project.com/#

https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=29774.0

Or for crazy stuff deepin. Mind you it's a chinese os, only god knows what's in there.

https://www.deepin.org/?language=en

I'm use xfce most of the time, pretty neat

I wouldnt switch to mint if you're already comfortable with ubuntu. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 hour ago, Svinsparbriivu said:

I'm not too keen on ricing actually, just using vanilla Mint with Cinnamon.

I like Gnome's 'start' menu, but the huge title bars and the baffling decisions to remove the window list from the task bar and compact view from Nautilus keep me from using it.

I just make it more to my taste, I try not to go overboard. If i had to stay vanilla I would only use Unity and Pantheon.

Lord of Helium.

1 hour ago, SparkyRain said:

Gnome with numix pack is my go to theme. Since you're around to try a new desktop there would be solus/budgie or if you prefer rolling budgie/manjaro. 

https://solus-project.com/#

https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=29774.0

Or for crazy stuff deepin. Mind you it's a chinese os, only god knows what's in there.

https://www.deepin.org/?language=en

Would prefer a Ubuntu base, Deepin actually would have been my choice if they had continued using a Ubuntu base. I'm willing to branch out but not on my primary computer for now.

Lord of Helium.

You could give Trenta OS a spin. It's based on Ubuntu with the Rainier theme and icon pack. It's one of my favourite theme packs and there is also a ppa for it, so it's not just limited to Trenta OS.

Chalet OS is pretty neat as well and also based on Ubuntu.

2 minutes ago, Hamako said:

You could give Trenta OS a spin. It's based on Ubuntu with the Rainier theme and icon pack. It's one of my favourite theme packs and there is also a ppa for it, so it's not just limited to Trenta OS.

Chalet OS is pretty neat as well and also based on Ubuntu.

I saw your other post about Trenta and I was interested. I wished they had more screenshots on their website. As for Chalet I used it on a live usb for while It was clean and I loved the idea of a out of the box conkey intertwined into the distribution. I'll fire it up in a virtual box later and check it out.

Lord of Helium.

Trenta OS is still under development, with a huge update coming in June. I've used it myself and trust me, it doesn't disappoint in terms of looks. I don't have any screenshots at the moment, but Google images should provide you with some idea of what it feels like. There are also some YouTube videos about it.

1 hour ago, Hamako said:

Trenta OS is still under development, with a huge update coming in June. I've used it myself and trust me, it doesn't disappoint in terms of looks. I don't have any screenshots at the moment, but Google images should provide you with some idea of what it feels like. There are also some YouTube videos about it.

Fired it up and It is very well designed, a bit too OSX for my tastes though so I'll keep looking for now.

Lord of Helium.

I chose Xubuntu, because it's awesome, but tbh, I suggest LXDE over XFCE. So, my real vote is Lubuntu. Or any other Debian with LXDE (LXMint and debian lxde are always good)

12 minutes ago, FullTank1337 said:

I chose Xubuntu, because it's awesome, but tbh, I suggest LXDE over XFCE. So, my real vote is Lubuntu. Or any other Debian with LXDE (LXMint and debian lxde are always good)

LXDE is way to barebones for my taste. Thank you for the suggestion regardless. I have used XFCE a bit and It's very stable and clean. 

Lord of Helium.

25 minutes ago, Burusutazu said:

LXDE is way to barebones for my taste. Thank you for the suggestion regardless. I have used XFCE a bit and It's very stable and clean. 

Fair enough, no salt. XFCE is also good. I've heard good things about Cinnamon, but never used it. Heard a rumor it's being discontinued...? Don't know for sure. 

Deffo XFCE is good.

4 hours ago, FullTank1337 said:

Fair enough, no salt. XFCE is also good. I've heard good things about Cinnamon, but never used it. Heard a rumor it's being discontinued...? Don't know for sure. 

Deffo XFCE is good.

Yeah XFCE looks like a good balance. I've never tried Cinnamon because i was never able to install mint on my computer due to hardware issues. (Which should be fixed by now)

Lord of Helium.