Desktop freezes on install.

TheRomanSenate

Well I'm not sure what's wrong with the machine. It'll pass all the tests I toss it's way, but for some reason freezes when installing programs and drivers or when trying to use specific applications.

I've already performed a clean reinstall of Windows 10 home. Run prime95 for an hour no problems, run windows memory diagnostic 5 times, run chkdsk /f C: to see what shows up all clear minus the failed to create log 50 message. Checked power connections. Looked for any other loose cables. Got a couldn't find Windows boot device twice although that might have been because of the cable fiddling.

I'm stumped as to why it only freezes when installing drivers and programs. It's not performance based and I can install games and steam so it's not all programs Im still able to play GTA v no problem. The rog front base still shows new data after the freeze, so I'm not sure it really is the motherboard, I'm leaning currently to bad ssd or bad drivers causing anarchy.

16 hours ago, King_Tuna said:

Bad storage device. Probably.

Turns out it was the optical disk drive that was giving me registry errors. Asus DVD read/write.

On 4/14/2016 at 0:19 PM, King_Tuna said:

w0w i wasn't expecting this to happen!

I know right, you think you've accounted for everything then poof, glad it wasn't my 1tb ssd.