First time builder needs honest opinions

jeff002400

Hey there,

First time posting, first time reading...  heck, first time on these boards!  

I have decided to build my first gaming PC ever.  I've been, and will continue to be a console gamer, but have always dabbled in lower end pc games on my laptop.  Time to join the ranks of the PC gamers, and get in on the goodness I've been missing! 

Enough intros!  On to it.  

I'm planning out my build, and have been for a bit now.  I'm building a more budget conscious PC at this point.  I am also future planning, as I want to upgrade as I go.  It's primary uses will be gaming and web browsing.  My current budget is in and around $1000 CAD.  I already own a case, so my $1000 CAD is for internals.  Not for monitors, mouse, keyboard...  I have some stuff that will get me by for now until I choose to upgrade them.  

I already have come into ownership of an NZXT Phantom 530 case (white) which I think is really cool!  It's nice, shiny and new.  I am planning a red/white theme given time, so this fits right in with my plans.  Need red case fans! 

I'm planning on gaming in 1080 right now, no 4K (but would love to in the future). Not going to be delving into many AAA titles with the PC yet, there's far too many of the smaller indie and simulation type of games I want to get into first!  I mean, I've put 50 hours into prison architect so far.  

I chose some parts with upgrading in mind.  I chose the motherboard because I eventually will be getting a better CPU to try overclocking out and all that.  It has some features I really like to it, and have read and watched reviews stating a few times it's a good board for a beginner that would allow for a killer PC.  So, even though my board may be a little overkill for now, I plan on upgrading, please keep that in mind.  I'm not set in stone on the board I picked, but if suggestions come in I would ask you keep in mind the upgrade path I will eventually take.  

My PSU is a little overpowered right now too, but again, will need more power in the future.  Potentially will SLI as well.  

I'm also going to upgrade to be able to do some VR in the future.  Obviously not with the budget start I have planned.  I want to give the good folks in VR time to learn,and work out the kinks.  

Without further ado, here's the parts I've selected:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/HYjr99

CPU - Intel core i3 6100 using stock cooler

MOBO - MSI Z170A gaming M5 

Memory - G.Skill Ripjaw V Series 8GB

SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SSC

PSU - EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold

Opitcal - Asus DRW (I want to be able to burn photos I've taken to CD as a backup)

All that running Windows 10 home. 

Now, I'm not totally sure on what I will upgrade to in the future, but here's an example of what I may go for one day. 

core i5 6600k with a possible custom water cooler setup

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Some form of 16 GB memory

And so forth.  Obviously as time passes those choices might change, but they're a consideration if I were choosing to buy a new part now.  

As a first time builder, I appreciate honest opinions.  I will never be offended if any of you with far more experience have some criticisms of my build.  The only thing I ask is if you have some suggestions for me, please tell me why you suggest it.  It's how I learn, and want to eventually become well enough versed to keep up with you folks! 

Thanks ahead of time, I appreciate any opinions, good or bad.  

First the gpu could be a little better, if you want you can get a used GPU for much cheap price( I get a Gtx 770 for 150$)

As long as you are not sli , 500W PSU will be good enough as long as you have a good one with good brands

3 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

First the gpu could be a little better, if you want you can get a used GPU for much cheap price( I get a Gtx 770 for 150$)

As long as you are not sli , 500W PSU will be good enough as long as you have a good one with good brands

Hm, thanks for the idea with the GPU.  I chose it because it will run quite a few of the games I want to play right now, is fairly decently priced and seems to be highly reviewed.  

Also, I should have clarified that I want to have the option of doing an SLI in the future.  

10 minutes ago, jeff002400 said:

Hey there,

First time posting, first time reading...  heck, first time on these boards!  

I have decided to build my first gaming PC ever.  I've been, and will continue to be a console gamer, but have always dabbled in lower end pc games on my laptop.  Time to join the ranks of the PC gamers, and get in on the goodness I've been missing! 

Enough intros!  On to it.  

I'm planning out my build, and have been for a bit now.  I'm building a more budget conscious PC at this point.  I am also future planning, as I want to upgrade as I go.  It's primary uses will be gaming and web browsing.  My current budget is in and around $1000 CAD.  I already own a case, so my $1000 CAD is for internals.  Not for monitors, mouse, keyboard...  I have some stuff that will get me by for now until I choose to upgrade them.  

I already have come into ownership of an NZXT Phantom 530 case (white) which I think is really cool!  It's nice, shiny and new.  I am planning a red/white theme given time, so this fits right in with my plans.  Need red case fans! 

I'm planning on gaming in 1080 right now, no 4K (but would love to in the future). 

I chose some parts with upgrading in mind.  I chose the motherboard because I eventually will be getting a better CPU to try overclocking out and all that.  It has some features I really like to it, and have read and watched reviews stating a few times it's a good board for a beginner that would allow for a killer PC.  So, even though my board may be a little overkill for now, I plan on upgrading, please keep that in mind.  I'm not set in stone on the board I picked, but if suggestions come in I would ask you keep in mind the upgrade path I will eventually take.  

My PSU is a little overpowered right now too, but again, will need more power in the future.  

I'm also going to upgrade to be able to do some VR in the future.  Obviously not with the budget start I have planned.  I want to give the good folks in VR time to learn,and work out the kinks.  

Without further ado, here's the parts I've selected:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/HYjr99

CPU - Intel core i3 6100 using stock cooler

MOBO - MSI Z170A gaming M5 

Memory - G.Skill Ripjaw V Series 8GB

SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

PSU - EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold

Opitcal - Asus DRW (I want to be able to burn photos I've taken to CD as a backup)

All that running Windows 10 home. 

Now, I'm not totally sure on what I will upgrade to in the future, but here's an example of what I may go for one day. 

core i5 6600k with a possible custom water cooler setup

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Some form of 16 GB memory

And so forth.  Obviously as time passes those choices might change, but they're a consideration if I were choosing to buy a new part now.  

As a first time builder, I appreciate honest opinions.  I will never be offended if any of you with far more experience have some criticisms of my build.  The only thing I ask is if you have some suggestions for me, please tell me why you suggest it.  It's how I learn, and want to eventually become well enough versed to keep up with you folks! 

Thanks ahead of time, I appreciate any opinions, good or bad.  

Few pointers,

The intel stock cooler has thermal paste pre applied so you can save a few bucks there, also I'd go with a less expensive mobo (red mobo's are not hard to find) and upgrade your GPU. I have a 960 in my build and it runs most all games at 40-60 fps at 1080p. But be sure to post pictures of it when it's built

12 minutes ago, jeff002400 said:

Hm, thanks for the idea with the GPU.  I chose it because it will run quite a few of the games I want to play right now, is fairly decently priced and seems to be highly reviewed.  

Also, I should have clarified that I want to have the option of doing an SLI in the future.  

750ti are a very old card, and I have a 750ti it can not handle the most AAA in the market you may get a 950 or R9 270 (the gtx 950 is only 30$ more than 750ti)

2 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

750ti are a very old card, and I have a 750ti it can not handle the most AAA in the market you may get a 950 or R9 270 (the gtx 950 is only 30$ more than 750ti)

Definitely fair points.  I'll do some price comparison, see what the refurbished market has (I don't like the idea of buying used parts privately)  Better for only $30 more doesn't sound bad at all! 

6 minutes ago, mattbatc said:

Few pointers,

The intel stock cooler has thermal paste pre applied so you can save a few bucks there, also I'd go with a less expensive mobo (red mobo's are not hard to find) and upgrade your GPU. I have a 960 in my build and it runs most all games at 40-60 fps at 1080p. But be sure to post pictures of it when it's built

Very good point, I can knock off the paste.  Thanks for the ideas! 

Just now, jeff002400 said:

Very good point, I can knock off the paste.  Thanks for the ideas! 

Just save up for a little bit longer for the 960, totally worth it

5 minutes ago, mattbatc said:

Just save up for a little bit longer for the 960, totally worth it

1080 will coming soon, the GTX9xx will be cheaper soon

I want to do a bit of a budget GPU for now, like zehao says, the new cards will be coming out soon enough, and the 980's should come down.  I'd like to go to a 980 when prices come down.  I'm not spending what they want for them in a starter rig.  

That said, I'm still a month out from buying my parts.  If I see a better, newer card available in the similar price range sooner I'll definitely jump on it.  I can't budget in an extra $200 for a single part, too many summer projects to the house and such coming up. When the snow starts flying again, that's when I'll start upgrading things (starting with GPU closer to the end of 2016.  CPU will come earlier in 2017)

So, given it seems the GPU is my weak point right now, does the rest of the build look like it'll do well enough for me for the time being? 

11 minutes ago, jeff002400 said:

I want to do a bit of a budget GPU for now, like zehao says, the new cards will be coming out soon enough, and the 980's should come down.  I'd like to go to a 980 when prices come down.  I'm not spending what they want for them in a starter rig.  

That said, I'm still a month out from buying my parts.  If I see a better, newer card available in the similar price range sooner I'll definitely jump on it.  I can't budget in an extra $200 for a single part, too many summer projects to the house and such coming up. When the snow starts flying again, that's when I'll start upgrading things (starting with GPU closer to the end of 2016.  CPU will come earlier in 2017)

So, given it seems the GPU is my weak point right now, does the rest of the build look like it'll do well enough for me for the time being? 

The motherboard look like kind of over kill for me

7 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

The motherboard look like kind of over kill for me

Genuinely curious of your opinion, I know it's overkill now, but would you consider it overkill with potentially a i5 6600 k, watercooling setup, and possibly 2 980's in sli? 

5 minutes ago, jeff002400 said:

Genuinely curious of your opinion, I know it's overkill now, but would you consider it overkill with potentially a i5 6600 k, watercooling setup, and possibly 2 980's in sli? 

There are some board can do the same thing as 2 way SLI cheaper than that one, I did not know much about the motherboard you can make a new post on the motherboard area.

Just now, zehao39 said:

There are some board can do the same thing as 2 way SLI cheaper than that one, I did not know much about the motherboard you can make a new post on the motherboard area.

thanks.  Will do. 

5 hours ago, jeff002400 said:

trimed 

motherboard is a bit overkill but if you were to upgrade to a i5 6600k or an i7 6700k later on then that would be a perfect board. gpu is rather weak. if you cant afford more than $150 then try looking at either the used market or try to find an r9 380 on sale. for psu i would spend my money on a good one. use the toms hardware psu tier list to determine which one is good or which one is shit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9380p2255 heres a r9 380 for $160 on sale.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html the toms hardware psu tier list.

PS try looking into the Asus z170a motherboard. its a pretty nice looking z170 board priced similarly to the MSI one. Nevermind looks like your doing a red and black themed build. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

12 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

motherboard is a bit overkill but if you were to upgrade to a i5 6600k or an i7 6700k later on then that would be a perfect board. gpu is rather weak. if you cant afford more than $150 then try looking at either the used market or try to find an r9 380 on sale. for psu i would spend my money on a good one. use the toms hardware psu tier list to determine which one is good or which one is shit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9380p2255 heres a r9 380 for $160 on sale.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html the toms hardware psu tier list.

PS try looking into the Asus z170a motherboard. its a pretty nice looking z170 board priced similarly to the MSI one. Nevermind looks like your doing a red and black themed build. 

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and see that it's a build meant to be upgraded in the winter.  

I should clarify something, The primary use of the PC this summer will be web browsing, and some light gaming.  I tend to stop gaming quite a bit over the summer months.  It will also replace my failing laptop. 

First thing I will be upgrading come October/November is the GPU with what I hope will be a 980 (hoping for a price drop by then). Looking at the 380, specs wise only it does seem to be a better upgrade from the 750 to the 950, and price wise to the 960 I won't spend that much right now.  Now, as for the 380 you listed, I'd gladly grab it for that price, however that's in USD.  I'm spending in CAD.  When you switch PC Part Picker to the Canadian prices that card jumps up to $258.  Used, the prices start at the $220 plus taxes mark on NCIX.  I don't like buying certain things privately, and computer parts is one of them.  Again, I understand that the 750 isn't a great card for AAA demanding titles, but I won't be using it for that.  Believe me, I'd love to get a high end, not 2 year old card now, but that's just not feasible.  When the snow starts flying here north of the border I'll upgrade the card, then eventually the cpu, and start playing some more demanding games.  I think the difference in price we pay north of the border is making my 750 choice seem a little silly on the surface, but when you factor in the cost difference between here and the states, it can be quite a difference.  If I can find a card in the $150-200 mark that is a well reviewed card I'll definitely look at the upgrade for now, but if nothing comes up that works price wise, I'll probably stick with the 750 until winter.  

I appreciate your list of PSU's, I'll definitely have to have a look, the PSU is something I do not want to cheap out on. I'm also going to look into that ASUS mobo.  I'm planning a red/white build.  The white on that board works, and I could use some red lighting and if I do a custom water cooler setup in the future can use white fluids to match.