help me confirm the dead GPU

sumitmak

Hello LTT forums,

In October, I had made a post about my PC not posting quite often and that I had to sometimes replug  either the HDD sata cable, the power connection for the GPU or the RAM sticks. And from what I read it seemed that my motherboard might have been faulty. These hiccups stopped after sometime, but had resurfaced again by the end of last month. In my previous troubleshooting, I don't remember noticing that the GPU fan was moving or not, while the other fans were moving. But this time I found that the GPUs fan would move or hardly move or jitter a bit. It seemed that I found the actual problem. When my PC started again, I installed MSI afterburner, to try to manually control the GPU fan speed, and it worked, for 3 days at the most and then it has stopped ever since. My PC wouldn't post again.

This time, I tried to connect to my monitor through a vga cable from my motherboard rather than the GPU. I made sure the unplug the pci express power cables for the GPU, and boom, my PC started without hiccups. And now I am writing this post in order to verify whether my GPU has actually died or not? Or are there any other troubleshooting steps that I need to take before declaring the demise of my GPU?

My specs are, FX 8350, Asus GTX 550 Ti, Seagate 1TB HDD, 8GB (4x2) Gskill Ripijaws, MSI 760GM P21 FX. Age 5 years old past February 2016

well if removing your gpu from it makes it work flawlessly

then its most probably dead

best way to check is to run the gpu in another system to verify

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

You can always toss it in another tower or bench if you have them available and see if they post with it. I doubt faulty PCI slots would cause it to do that. Could be wonky connections on GPU board, or, the fans are just dead. 
Not sure on fan repair, but a 550 ti is five years old, though that's not an excuse of failure.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.875GHz/1.335v , GPU: Fury Nitro.

I would say yes because of the age of the hardware, but a bad or faulty PSU could also cause strange issues, same for a simple PCIe slot on your Motherboard, a cable or only the GPU WGA connector ....

The first thing to try and  wich is cheap, use diffrent PCIe slots, and a new cable (maybe borrow one)  maybe even on another port on your GPU

But I would start to accept that the most things die at someday :(

23 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well if removing your gpu from it makes it work flawlessly

then its most probably dead

best way to check is to run the gpu in another system to verify

Yes, I'm planning the same, hope my friend is ready to open his computer.

20 minutes ago, Narnash said:

I would say yes because of the age of the hardware, but a bad or faulty PSU could also cause strange issues, same for a simple PCIe slot on your Motherboard, a cable or only the GPU WGA connector ....

The first thing to try and  wich is cheap, use diffrent PCIe slots, and a new cable (maybe borrow one)  maybe even on another port on your GPU

But I would start to accept that the most things die at someday :(

My motherboard doesn't have another 16x Pcie slot, so no way to do that. I tried using another pcie power cable, fortunately my PSU has 2, but it still didn't post, nor did the fans spin.

25 minutes ago, Manswaggle said:

You can always toss it in another tower or bench if you have them available and see if they post with it. I doubt faulty PCI slots would cause it to do that. Could be wonky connections on GPU board, or, the fans are just dead. 
Not sure on fan repair, but a 550 ti is five years old, though that's not an excuse of failure.

I tried dissembling the GPU and clean it up and also made sure the fan header on the gpu is properly connected, but still no posts. I'm planning to put the GPU in my friends PC, hoping to see if it works.