Need a better storage solution

lonewolf5460

So I have an issue I plan to upgrade my system in the future to zen and i dont want to purchase a motherboard for am3+ just for a better feature set primary the built in raid controller. So i have 3 2tb drives with plans to to get another 1 or two later to add to the array. Right now i am out of sata ports so expansion is limited and I want to grab 2 new ssds  for a 1tb array or add one to my current one for a half tb. I had a previous set up like that but I sold all the drives because i needed the ports for mechanical storage. So I know 3 ssds in the 500 mbs will completely saturates my built in controller i max out at 1200-1300 read and write so I know I am only going to stay with two ssds and be a little over 1gps. The other part of my problem is that the built in raid controller sucks I cant run raid 5 or raid 10 on my 3 2tb drives and get windows to see it only in raid 0. So I need to get my 2tb drives off my built in controller and either on an add in card or nas. Throughput to this array is not to critical, its just for my movies, anime and steam games. So I need help on a good solution if I go the add in card route what brand and I need help what would be better for me raid 5,6 or 10? Or should I go the nas route either way I just want redundancy and the ability to easily expand the array in the future. As long as I can get 200-400 mbs on the nas I will be fine throughput wise. Also i am kinda a noob when it comes to raid what raid mode should I pick so when I plan to expand the array with two more 2tb drives in the future? I plan to have my critical data in many places my ssd array on my built in controller a 500gb mechanical drive or add another in raid 0 also on my built in and my 3-5 2tb drives also an external 1tb so critical files  will be on 4 different sets of drives. So I have plenty of space in my case for 2 ssds and 6 mechanical drives internally if I go the add on card route. Either way I need good recommendations on a 5 bay nas or a add on raid card, kinda leaning towards a nas because I dont want to increase my boot times and seems a little easier to set up. Either way I don't want to spend over 200 for either solution. Any help is appreciated and apologize in advance if my post is not clear I am doing a few other things right now so let me know if I need to clarify and a appreciate any help you guys have been awesome to me and i truly appreciate how helpful the whole community has been to me. Also any help on a program that I can set up backups at set intervals would be nice paid or free does not matter.

You're going to need a lot more than $200 for a proper solution.

Backup Software - To Do Backup

Just now, icey said:

You're going to need a lot more than $200 for a proper solution.

Backup Software - To Do Backup

Ok i saw lsi cards for sub 100 that can handle my array goals i just dont know how easy they are to configure and i have seen blank 4 bay nas for around 200 on newegg should i post what iam looking at at so you can tell me why they may be bad. I am ok picking up something used on ebay.

3 minutes ago, lonewolf5460 said:

Sorry I'm getting very confused and dizzy reading your wall of text. I may have misread but don't you have intentions of going 3-5drive?

Just now, icey said:

Sorry I'm getting very confused and dizzy reading your wall of text. I may have misread but don't you have intentions of going 3-5drive?

I have 3 drives 2tb with intentions of adding 1 more since it seems 4 bays are more in my buget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2HT-000C-00026&ignorebbr=1

I am liking this one just because one has more ram than the 189 version also is the two rj45 pass though or would I need a network switch. My room is hardwired so I am already using my rj45 om my pc. Would the 512mb of ram really hinder performance much I have read mixed things about how much ram you truly need on a nas. I would rather stay in my 200 budget. Really the issue is even though my on-board supports raid 5 and 10 I cannot get it to work in windows it sees the drives as individual volumes no matter what i do. So thats why I am looking for a nas or add in card aslo I want the onboad to be dedicated to an ssd raid array along with a new 1tb drive or adding another 500gb and putting it in raid 0 for back up purposes just  for the ssd array. I would use the nas just raid 5 probably and depend on that for my main storage solution. Critical files would be stored on a 1tb external and on either a striped 2 500gb or a new 1tb so critical files are in 3 places. My boot drive is an 240gb ssd I may add another for raid 0 or swap it out for 2 500gb samsung evos raid 0. So in the end I want 2 ssd for 1gbs throughput as a boot drive, a 1tb single drive or 2 500gb in raid 0 for secondary back up, then my nas with 3 2b to start with with plans to add a 4th as primary storage and back up and a 1tb external as a final backup for all my needs in the end.