Help from scratch on everything!

Octa33

Hi Everyone,

I am building myself a computer from scratch for the first time in a long time. I've been a laptop person for the longest time with no major issue due to my furry of traveling in the last 8 years. Before that I had a custom built rig and technology has evolved so much, I don't know too much about the right Mobo to go with the right CPU. In addition, which GPU is the best fit for me and the motherboard.

Spec Needs: I need a rig not so much for gaming (outside of Gmod Sessions and other PC exclusive games from time to time). My main purpose if heavy multitasking. Thus I know I need multiple cores. For my job I will be doing a lot of video editing (6+ cams/ corresponding audio) and exporting through Premiere Pro, and need to be able to not only avoid slow editing and constant crashes, but be able to export while editing at the same time. I'd also like to be able to have After Effects or Photoshop running while the other two happen without having to save and close the project (something I have to do now).

Similarly, I do live stream games too, but off a gaming console. I won't need to run games on the PC at 4K 120fps and capture that screen. Just be able to live stream (which my internet is capable of)

I am currently running a Toshiba Laptop with an i7-4510U (Quad core) 2.0-2.6 GHz; 8GB DDR3 RAM; no dedicated video card. And things have been running fine, just slow. I know the main thing I would need is a Video Card, But not easy to pop on a laptop. Plus I am more stable in location and am ready to have a dedicated workstation/ desktop computer.

I plan on getting a pair of Curved Monitors or 3 4K monitors. have not picked these out yet. In addition to wanting to stay under $1500 for the PC itself (not counting Monitors)

What do y'all suggest for a CPU, Motherboard, GPU, and so forth?

1 minute ago, Octa33 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am building myself a computer from scratch for the first time in a long time. I've been a laptop person for the longest time with no major issue due to my furry of traveling in the last 8 years. Before that I had a custom built rig and technology has evolved so much, I don't know too much about the right Mobo to go with the right CPU. In addition, which GPU is the best fit for me and the motherboard.

Spec Needs: I need a rig not so much for gaming (outside of Gmod Sessions and other PC exclusive games from time to time). My main purpose if heavy multitasking. Thus I know I need multiple cores. For my job I will be doing a lot of video editing (6+ cams/ corresponding audio) and exporting through Premiere Pro, and need to be able to not only avoid slow editing and constant crashes, but be able to export while editing at the same time. I'd also like to be able to have After Effects or Photoshop running while the other two happen without having to save and close the project (something I have to do now).

Similarly, I do live stream games too, but off a gaming console. I won't need to run games on the PC at 4K 120fps and capture that screen. Just be able to live stream (which my internet is capable of)

I am currently running a Toshiba Laptop with an i7-4510U (Quad core) 2.0-2.6 GHz; 8GB DDR3 RAM; no dedicated video card. And things have been running fine, just slow. I know the main thing I would need is a Video Card, But not easy to pop on a laptop. Plus I am more stable in location and am ready to have a dedicated workstation/ desktop computer.

I plan on getting a pair of Curved Monitors or 3 4K monitors. have not picked these out yet. In addition to wanting to stay under $1500 for the PC itself (not counting Monitors)

USD correct? Do you need a keyboard, mouse, or windows?

10 minutes ago, Octa33 said:

Hi Everyone,

you will never be able to play on 3 4k monitors u know that?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rh3JFT

I didnt spend long but something like this would do you well.

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit

9 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

USD correct? Do you need a keyboard, mouse, or windows?

Yes USD.

All three of those are not in this cost. I have a decent Keyboard and amazing mouse. I also have a hook up from Microsoft for Windows 10.

Just now, Octa33 said:

Yes USD.

All three of those are not in this cost. I have a decent Keyboard and amazing mouse. I also have a hook up from Microsoft for Windows 10.

Any idea of how much storage you'll need on the computer itself?

1 minute ago, Schony125 said:

you will never be able to play on 3 4k monitors u know that?

I am heavily leaning on the curved monitors. On the few times I do play on this rig, It will be just one monitor; as 95% of my time will be video editing, rendering, some 3D modeling. 

I am heavily leaning on the curved monitors. On the few times I do play on this rig, It will be just one monitor; as 95% of my time will be video editing, rendering, some 3D modeling. 

Good choice.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Any idea of how much storage you'll need on the computer itself?

Sorry for the newbish question but I assume you mean HDD/SSD space; not RAM/ Memory.

I would most likely use a small SSD for boot. Then two HDD's of 2-3TB each. Until SSD's become cheaper and larger.

Just now, Octa33 said:

Sorry for the newbish question but I assume you mean HDD/SSD space; not RAM/ Memory.

I would most likely use a small SSD for boot. Then two HDD's of 2-3TB each. Until SSD's become cheaper and larger.

Do you have the HDD's already?

Here is what I compiled: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bh7b4D

You can get a bigger capacity RAM if you want need that for your work and for storage your choice but here is what I can recommend. :)'

Also you won't be able to game at 4k with your budget :/

4 minutes ago, Octa33 said:

Here:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rwYZnQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rwYZnQ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($174.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: A-Data XPG Z1 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($34.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.80 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.80 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($539.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1497.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-11 15:40 EDT-0400

5820k: Because there wasn't money for a 5960x, and it should be able to handle everything you want it to do decently. Just don't expect to stream and render at the same time.

32 GBS of ram: Because I'm pretty sure that's going to come in handy if your going to edit and export at the same time.

Storage: Pretty standered, small boot drive and shit loads of storage as you requested.

GPU: 980ti. Cause 980ti.

Case: Decent case, and fit into budget.

PSU: Solid psu, and fit into budget.

Just for the record, the price shown is after MIR, just a buyer beware.

4 minutes ago, Loleo said:

Here is what I compiled: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bh7b4D

You can get a bigger capacity RAM if you want need that for your work and for storage your choice but here is what I can recommend. :)'

Also you won't be able to game at 4k with your budget :/

That budget can easily handle a 980ti or a Fury X, the damn you mean he can't game at 4k? I still wouldn't recommend it, but you can game at 4k on that budget.

8 minutes ago, godzrule said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rh3JFT

I didnt spend long but something like this would do you well.

This looks great. I like the Processor (price and performance) Especially for the final price.

I will modify the SSD set up for HDD/ SSD config; which will wash out, maybe save $100. But all in all This works really well.

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

That budget can easily handle a 980ti or a Fury X, the damn you mean he can't game at 4k? I still wouldn't recommend it, but you can game at 4k on that budget.

Okay that might be true, I mean you can cut a lot by skipping either the SSD or the hdd, get a cheaper can and so on so fourth. I apologize. But I still think my build recommendation was okay.

Thanks everyone for the help. I looked around a bit and dismissed the i7-6700K because of it only being 4 cores. I like the i7-5820K more for the added cores even at a lower clock speed. Not too worried about 3.4 vs 4.0GHZ when I get 2 more cores. My main strain was with Videocards and motherboards.

I'll compare a few options and when i get to building it this summer I'll respond.

1 minute ago, Loleo said:

Okay that might be true, I mean you can cut a lot by skipping either the SSD or the hdd, get a cheaper can and so on so fourth. I apologize. But I still think my build recommendation was okay.

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Here:

Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

5820k: Because there wasn't money for a 5960x, and it should be able to handle everything you want it to do decently. Just don't expect to stream and render at the same time.

32 GBS of ram: Because I'm pretty sure that's going to come in handy if your going to edit and export at the same time.

Storage: Pretty standered, small boot drive and shit loads of storage as you requested.

What do you mean skipping out?

Thanks everyone for the help. I looked around a bit and dismissed the i7-6700K because of it only being 4 cores. I like the i7-5820K more for the added cores even at a lower clock speed. Not too worried about 3.4 vs 4.0GHZ when I get 2 more cores. My main strain was with Videocards and motherboards.

I'll compare a few options and when i get to building it this summer I'll respond.

What resolution do you plan on playing at?

When it comes to "gaming" on the PC itself, the most intense thing I have on Steam is GMod. Even then I have been running 1920x1080@60fps on my laptop b/c that's all it can handle. All my heavy duty gaming is on my Xbox One, because I am a console gamer; please don't hate. My steam library consists of old Star Wars (KOTOR, Empire At War), Sonic (8 Bit mostly, but also Generations), Doom, and a few games all released before 2005. 

The only game on steam that my laptop can't handle (due to lack of Video Card) is RWBY: Grimm Eclipse; and this is all they want to began with.

This would be a rig for Multitasking, rendering, editing, streaming from an external device.

I just won't be exporting/ rendering while I stream; which isn't a big deal.

Also get a set of extra wise/ curved monitors.

RWBY.png

6 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

What do you mean skipping out?

You don't need an SSD you can build a pc without one (although I would not) and by skipping out on it you save quite a lot of money. Skipping out referring to not buying one, my way of speaking English. :S

Just now, Loleo said:

You don't need an SSD you can build a pc without one (although I would not) and by skipping out on it you save quite a lot of money. Skipping out referring to not buying one, my way of speaking English. :S

I wouldn't skip out on an SSD at all. If I could, I'd use only SSD's

But as for my need for a LOT of storage w/o constantly deleting files when a project is finished (which I don't want to have to do anyway); HDD's are the option for Large/cheap storage.

1 hour ago, Octa33 said:

When it comes to "gaming" on the PC itself, the most intense thing I have on Steam is GMod. Even then I have been running 1920x1080@60fps on my laptop b/c that's all it can handle. All my heavy duty gaming is on my Xbox One, because I am a console gamer; please don't hate. My steam library consists of old Star Wars (KOTOR, Empire At War), Sonic (8 Bit mostly, but also Generations), Doom, and a few games all released before 2005. 

The only game on steam that my laptop can't handle (due to lack of Video Card) is RWBY: Grimm Eclipse; and this is all they want to began with.

This would be a rig for Multitasking, rendering, editing, streaming from an external device.

I just won't be exporting/ rendering while I stream; which isn't a big deal.

Also get a set of extra wise/ curved monitors.

RWBY.png

1 hour ago, Starelementpoke said:

Here:

980ti man, you can't go wrong with 980ti.