Good antivirus software

Does anyone know of any good antivirus software that isn't very heavy on the cpu and is good for a older machine like my Dell XPS m1210 with a Intel Centrino T2300 1.66ghz dual core processor I currently use the free version of Avast but I was wondering if there is something better out there that wont be so taxing on my laptop

and ps for those who are wondering my laptop does have 4gb of ram and windows 10 with a 300gb hdd

4 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Does anyone know of any good antivirus software that isn't very heavy on the cpu and is good for a older machine like my Dell XPS m1210 with a Intel Centrino T2300 1.66ghz dual core processor I currently use the free version of Avast but I was wondering if there is something better out there that wont be so taxing on my laptop

and ps for those who are wondering my laptop does have 4gb of ram and windows 10 with a 300gb hdd

Avast is as efficient as it gets tbh.. good luck trying to get something better. I use a T2XXX in one of my laptops (can't remember the exact model though) and avast works just fine.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I personally do not have any anti virus other than Windows Defender since it would re-enable it after disabling anyways.

My opinion goes like this: If you take care of the system, virusses will stay away.
If you configure the firewall correctly and do not download any crap than you should be fine.
Using AdwCleaner will remove the Adware, Malwarebytes will remove any malware if you do have any.

If you aren't that experienced or you do not have the time to do that my best guess would be Avast aswell

The best anti-virus IMO is common sense. Last time installed an antivirus on my computer was 2007. I use the included microsoft one, which is not that great. Making sure what you are installing comes from a trusted source, not clicking on fishy links helps a lot.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

malwarebytes anti-malware is very good the is settings that turn on reduce for slower pc and i have tested it with all kinds in viruses and its helps agents malware aswell. i used it on a windows xp that was slow and works fine

im using avast, its been behaving well

though sometimes the aggressive ads can be annoying, but its not much of an issue since im using the free version `-`

im cheap

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

18 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

man the antivirus alone isnt much of a good defence anymore, let me give you info on how mine is setup.

First of all i have panda free anti virus(really grate fast and light)

secondly i have comodo free firewall, also really great for monitoring malicious activities between your computer and the internet.

i hope i helped :)

10 hours ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

9 hours ago, tv15dsi said:

I personally do not have any anti virus other than Windows Defender since it would re-enable it after disabling anyways.

My opinion goes like this: If you take care of the system, virusses will stay away.
If you configure the firewall correctly and do not download any crap than you should be fine.
Using AdwCleaner will remove the Adware, Malwarebytes will remove any malware if you do have any.

If you aren't that experienced or you do not have the time to do that my best guess would be Avast aswell

ShermanTank want protection which do not cause big pc load for his cpu. 

Your suggestion is not good option. I think it would be better adding one solid protection instead   keep 2 + winDefender as u suggested. 

One things is clear, if u try be safe then u have less chance to got infected.

I think by adding adblock plus extension in your browser and adding  av like avg, or avira or avast or eset nod 32  would be good combo.

however since shermantank don't have strong cpu I would go with simple av and avoid internet security packs to avoid pointless cpu load... 

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

52 minutes ago, CyberMist said:

ShermanTank want protection which do not cause big pc load for his cpu. 

Your suggestion is not good option. I think it would be better adding one solid protection instead   keep 2 + winDefender as u suggested. 

One things is clear, if u try be safe then u have less chance to got infected.

I think by adding adblock plus extension in your browser and adding  av like avg, or avira or avast or eset nod 32  would be good combo.

however since shermantank don't have strong cpu I would go with simple av and avoid internet security packs to avoid pointless cpu load... 

thanks for the advice I'm going to keep using avast but I'm going to see which of the stuff I can disable in the installer that I don't need

Well guys, actually i don't agree with some things writted above. 

First, the best antivirus actually on the market is Bitdefender Internet Security. It detect 100 % of test malware. I personally tested it after leaving bitdefender free: it sucks. They can tell you it's the lightest av out there (wich is true), that is perfect, and so on:i don't aree.  I noticed that bitdefender is lightest on daily usage, and work without  constantly asking you what to do. It has only two buttons, and it rocks in therms of detection. 

It has noticeably faster system and file system scan too. 

If you can i suggest trying it. I used it on a pentium 4300 and i had no performance issues.

Second: avast sucks in therms of scan performance.... really. 

And please don't say windows firewall sucks... not, it not: unless you disable it. 

i'm studying penetration testing (white haking course, basically) and i can tell you that windows 10 + bitdefender free + windows firewall is pretty much like hard to hack into. suggest using chrome and ad block and you're ok. Personally tested. 

same encoded meterpreter payload (for those who doesn't understand, it's a "virus" ): avast scan show it's safe (pufff.....), bitdefender immediatly quarantine it. You don't need complex firewall and top class av suite. 

the combination above, with some basic pc knowledge will to the job done. Even if you try to open malwares.  

it. is. a. matter. of. preference. None of you are right, everyone has different needs

if you're paranoid then no one suite will work, if you mess with the deep web or a lot of hackery or VPNs and port forwarding then no base line like windows or malwarebytes will work as those aren't meant to block hacking or hands on viruses just ransomeware, malware, and adware

if you don't mind pop ups and don't need every drop of cpu power and go site to site a lot then you need a constant scan like avast or McAfee. 

if you're like me and only go to a select set of sites and use windows defender than malwarebytes or another zero day program will work for the occasional adware or worm.

The only thing universally true is that Norton is cobra venom in a medicine bottle

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

On 12.4.2016 at 10:15 PM, Finders said:

Well guys, actually i don't agree with some things writted above. 

First, the best antivirus actually on the market is Bitdefender Internet Security. It detect 100 % of test malware. I personally tested it after leaving bitdefender free: it sucks. They can tell you it's the lightest av out there (wich is true), that is perfect, and so on:i don't aree.  I noticed that bitdefender is lightest on daily usage, and work without  constantly asking you what to do. It has only two buttons, and it rocks in therms of detection. 

It has noticeably faster system and file system scan too. 

If you can i suggest trying it. I used it on a pentium 4300 and i had no performance issues.

Second: avast sucks in therms of scan performance.... really. 

And please don't say windows firewall sucks... not, it not: unless you disable it. 

i'm studying penetration testing (white haking course, basically) and i can tell you that windows 10 + bitdefender free + windows firewall is pretty much like hard to hack into. suggest using chrome and ad block and you're ok. Personally tested. 

same encoded meterpreter payload (for those who doesn't understand, it's a "virus" ): avast scan show it's safe (pufff.....), bitdefender immediatly quarantine it. You don't need complex firewall and top class av suite. 

the combination above, with some basic pc knowledge will to the job done. Even if you try to open malwares.  

i agree with you that windows firwall is grate, but some of us like extra layer of protection i use panda free anti-virus as it is easy to disable and a great free anti virus and i also us comodo firwall (which has a great antivirus, if you have money, you should get it, you get your money back of you get infected with any virus). I also study computer sec, in norway :)

On 13/4/2016 at 0:20 AM, alattar323 said:

i agree with you that windows firwall is grate, but some of us like extra layer of protection i use panda free anti-virus as it is easy to disable and a great free anti virus and i also us comodo firwall (which has a great antivirus, if you have money, you should get it, you get your money back of you get infected with any virus). I also study computer sec, in norway :)

I don't know panda av... people i know say it's not so good. Anyway yeah, i agree : comodo firewall it's pretty good at doing it's job. no doubt about it :)