Astro A50 Headset Sound Keeps Cutting Out

TL;DR - A50's sound frequently cuts out and comes back within a few seconds, requiring me to restart programs for audio to work again.

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if Astro headsets are renowned for this issue, it could be a universal problem.

Basically, I've been having an issue where every now and then (ranging from every few minutes to half an hour or longer), the sound coming from my A50's will completely cut out, stay silent for a few seconds, and then slowly reconnect to the transmitter. When this happens, it seems to interfere with Windows, any any program that has audio playing from it will screw up.

Video playback (YouTube, Netflix, Vessel, VLC) will crash, and require me to restart them, which can be annoying if I don't know how far into the video I was.

Games playing sound will remain functional after cutting out, but I need to restart the game if I want the audio back, which obviously sucks if it happens in the middle of a game.

Skype will basically be rendered useless, and will also require me to restart it if I want to hear people again.

Things I have tried:
- Switching the micro USB cable connecting the mixamp to the PC (I've tried 6, so that's not the problem).

- Updating audio drivers

- Checked for new firmware for the headset and the mixamp (up to date)

- Restarting the audio service in services.msc

- Switching which USB port it is connected to on my PC (I have tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 with no difference)

I really can't think of anything else. I've had this headset for almost exactly a year, and haven't had any other issues with them. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions, please respond, it would really help me out. Thanks guys :)

I'm not particularly a genius when it comes to hardware or drivers but I don't like when a request for help goes simply unanswered, so I'll try to give you my best shot.

I have a studio-quality Sony headphones and I sometimes also experiment some issues (although way lesser issues than yours). I think maybe it's problem of your headphones (I mean, the cable is damaged or something).

I suppose you've already tried with different headphones but... have you tried using your headphones on another device? (e.g.: laptop, mp3, smartphone...)

That would definitely tell you if it's a driver's issue or something wrong with your headphones.

Hope I helped :P

Are they wireless... if so that is likely a potential source of problems.  Depending on the frequency which is it broadcasting there could be some form of interference.... If there is a option to change frequency, I would look into that.

The Black Friday Rig: 

[PCPartPicker part list](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QyvH8K)
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor] | $280.00 
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler] | $19.99 
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard] | $175.00 
**Memory** | [Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory] | $94.99 
**Storage** | [Corsair Force LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive] | $85.99 
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive] | $64.00 
**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card] | $319.99 
**Case** | [Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case] | $89.00 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply] | $84.99 
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit]| $109.00 
 | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
 | **Total** | **$1322.95**
 | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2016-11-27 18:34 EST-0500 |

On 2016-04-11 at 6:04 AM, FrenchToast said:

TL;DR - A50's sound frequently cuts out and comes back within a few seconds, requiring me to restart programs for audio to work again.

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if Astro headsets are renowned for this issue, it could be a universal problem.

Basically, I've been having an issue where every now and then (ranging from every few minutes to half an hour or longer), the sound coming from my A50's will completely cut out, stay silent for a few seconds, and then slowly reconnect to the transmitter. When this happens, it seems to interfere with Windows, any any program that has audio playing from it will screw up.

Video playback (YouTube, Netflix, Vessel, VLC) will crash, and require me to restart them, which can be annoying if I don't know how far into the video I was.

Games playing sound will remain functional after cutting out, but I need to restart the game if I want the audio back, which obviously sucks if it happens in the middle of a game.

Skype will basically be rendered useless, and will also require me to restart it if I want to hear people again.

Things I have tried:
- Switching the micro USB cable connecting the mixamp to the PC (I've tried 6, so that's not the problem).

- Updating audio drivers

- Checked for new firmware for the headset and the mixamp (up to date)

- Restarting the audio service in services.msc

- Switching which USB port it is connected to on my PC (I have tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 with no difference)

I really can't think of anything else. I've had this headset for almost exactly a year, and haven't had any other issues with them. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions, please respond, it would really help me out. Thanks guys :)

I know these are wireless, but can you use them while they are plugged in to charge?  If they work fine when plugged in then you are probably running into wireless interference issue like Ceremonial suggested or the headset is failing.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

try resetting them (if there is a reset button), re-pair them. Have you got wireless mouse/keyboard they usually all work on same cursed 2.4ghz if memory serves, so they often interfere with each other. if you do, try using different device, see if that helps. 

How far is the receiver from headset (presumably the amp box?) on the table? under table? metal does a great job of blocking these so if there's anything of sort between them, it might be the cause.

Try different PC, laptop or something, see if problems persists. 

if all fails and you're under warranty ring them up, as i doubt it's a common issue or one of the many features, as these are quite well regarded after all.

• 9 months later...

Did you ever get this resolved please? I have the exact same issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah it is all wifi issue. I had the same issue for a couple days, and was very frustrated. But it's all because some wifis connect to 5ghz and that interfiers with the connection. You just have to adjust it to 2.4ghz 48-116 as apposed to 159

• 9 months later...
On 11/29/2018 at 1:08 AM, Blastinnoobz52 said:

Yeah it is all wifi issue. I had the same issue for a couple days, and was very frustrated. But it's all because some wifis connect to 5ghz and that interfiers with the connection. You just have to adjust it to 2.4ghz 48-116 as apposed to 159

How do you adjust this?

Maingear F131 "Ghost Edition" | MSI Z390 | i9 9900k | Gaming Edge | Apex Full Liquid Cooling | 64 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200 MHZ | SLI 2080 RTX Ti |1200 W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | 2 TB NVME WD BLACK | 2 TB NVME m.2 660 p | 4 TB HD | ASUS ROG PG27UQ

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem listed. I have the Gen 3 A50's. What I did to fix it.

Log in to your wifi router, go to wifi settings, under 5g network change the channel to anything less than 100, my next option after 100 was 64. Save your settings. Boom no more sound flicker.

The A50's have a weak tolerance to 5g frequency above channel 100, from what I understand that is what their signal transmits at.

Hope this helps.