Hi there. I would like to build my own PC but not sure where to start as I do not know anything yet about processors and CPUs. I'm afraid that I might bought components that are not compatible to each other.

I would like to build a gaming PC with a budget of $1,000 max. Any build recommendations? Preferably i7 processor, 16gb RAM and at least silent. ASUS motherboard is great option as well.

Let me know what you have guys. All recommendations are appreciated. Thanks! Cheers.

for compatibility, you can refer to pcpartpicker.com for 98% of the time :3

or check this video thats fresh out of the oven

Spoiler

as for your build

what are you using it for?

you might not need an i7 :3

maybe following this guide

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Noel Earvin Piamonte said:

Hi there. I would like to build my own PC but not sure where to start as I do not know anything yet about processors and CPUs. I'm afraid that I might bought components that are not compatible to each other.

I would like to build a gaming PC with a budget of $1,000 max. Any build recommendations? Preferably i7 processor, 16gb RAM and at least silent. ASUS motherboard is great option as well.

Let me know what you have guys. All recommendations are appreciated. Thanks! Cheers.

processors and CPUs are the same thing. and if ye don't know anything about such, don't come with preferances. try to use pcpartpicker. the site checks compability

also,

welcome to the forums :P

remember to quote or mention someone when you reply them so they will get a notification ;)

totally forgot bout this lol

Here's a decent place to start

I carefully picked all of these parts to be close to the best. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

at that price an i5 or you are going to drop gpu power and also periferals?

13 minutes ago, Noel Earvin Piamonte said:

Im assuming it's for gaming and light video editing... So if it's for gaming I'm also going to assume you want it to look cool, which is where water cooling cones into play, which is also a really good way to go. Nvidia is awesome but I'd go for Intel Core i7 6700k for a really solid CPU. And some Corsair water cooler probably the Corair Hydro Series H50, also very solid.

5 hours ago, Moonzy said:

for compatibility, you can refer to pcpartpicker.com for 98% of the time :3

or check this video thats fresh out of the oven

Hide contents

as for your build

what are you using it for?

you might not need an i7 :3

maybe following this guide

Thanks for sharing.

I will be using it for work (web development) and on my spare time, I will be using it in gaming. I prefer fast, good graphics and silent one.

The thing is, I am using Linux OS so I think I can only play a few games compatible to Linux.

5 hours ago, MagnusGrønstad said:

processors and CPUs are the same thing. and if ye don't know anything about such, don't come with preferances. try to use pcpartpicker. the site checks compability

Thanks for your reply. I will look at pcpartpicker.

5 hours ago, Seminole said:

Here's a decent place to start

I carefully picked all of these parts to be close to the best. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Thank you :)

5 hours ago, teddy710 said:

Im assuming it's for gaming and light video editing... So if it's for gaming I'm also going to assume you want it to look cool, which is where water cooling cones into play, which is also a really good way to go. Nvidia is awesome but I'd go for Intel Core i7 6700k for a really solid CPU. And some Corsair water cooler probably the Corair Hydro Series H50, also very solid.

Cool. Sounds good though. I will check those components. Seems hardcore. haha.

5 hours ago, 1shanghai said:

at that price an i5 or you are going to drop gpu power and also periferals?

Oh. I see. I think GPU is a thing though. Let me check that.

3 minutes ago, Noel Earvin Piamonte said:

Thanks for sharing.

I will be using it for work (web development) and on my spare time, I will be using it in gaming. I prefer fast, good graphics and silent one.

The thing is, I am using Linux OS so I think I can only play a few games compatible to Linux.

hmm hmm

something like this should be the best performance per dollar you're gonna get

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CWgcQ7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CWgcQ7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.75 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.74 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($294.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $941.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-11 03:28 EDT-0400

comments:

Spoiler

1) the xeon is like an i7, but priced like an i5 :P

2) i choose the hyper 212 evo for acoustics because you mentioned silence, you can remove the fans for passive cooling too, put the fans back though if the temps gets too high

3) ssd and HDD are recommended :P

4) not the most silence gpu ever, but it should do just fine

5) not a silence case, if you want you can get the H440, my recomended silence case

6) superb PSU for the rig :P

5 hours ago, Noel Earvin Piamonte said:

Cool. Sounds good though. I will check those components. Seems hardcore. haha.

Are you planning on a gaming PC or work PC? If so then the build will be much different. Even if it's gaming on the side 

5 hours ago, Noel Earvin Piamonte said:

Oh. I see. I think GPU is a thing though. Let me check that.

Yeah GPU is specifically for gaming or so it seems. As it's dedicated to great graphic output while a CPU, it's older brother, is more of an all around component that does the same function but not as well since it's an all around thing.

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

hmm hmm

something like this should be the best performance per dollar you're gonna get

Hide contents

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CWgcQ7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CWgcQ7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.75 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.74 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($294.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $941.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-11 03:28 EDT-0400

comments:

Hide contents

1) the xeon is like an i7, but priced like an i5 :P

2) i choose the hyper 212 evo for acoustics because you mentioned silence, you can remove the fans for passive cooling too, put the fans back though if the temps gets too high

3) ssd and HDD are recommended :P

4) not the most silence gpu ever, but it should do just fine

5) not a silence case, if you want you can get the H440, my recomended silence case

6) superb PSU for the rig :P

Wow. Thanks for the list. This is great. I kind of don't like the idea on the fans though. haha.

Quick question, is xeon better than i5?

2 minutes ago, Noel Earvin Piamonte said:

is xeon better than i5?

xeon comes in many varieties and many generations as well as the i5

if you're comparing this xeon (the xeon 1231 v3) to a typical haswell i5 (i5 4690)

then yes the xeon is better, due to it having multithreads

also, some people do remove their fans on the heatsink for silence computing

i know i would but im just so lazy to open my desktop and remove the ram just to get the fans out lol

but those people typically have beefier cooler (i have the dark rock pro 3)

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

xeon comes in many varieties and many generations as well as the i5

if you're comparing this xeon (the xeon 1231 v3) to a typical haswell i5 (i5 4690)

then yes the xeon is better, due to it having multithreads

Cool. Thanks for your recommendation.

34 minutes ago, Noel Earvin Piamonte said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rRDdNG

5 hours ago, teddy710 said:

Are you planning on a gaming PC or work PC? If so then the build will be much different. Even if it's gaming on the side 

I see. I think I will be building a gaming PC!

5 hours ago, jkeasley said:

Nice! Cool. Thanks for your recommendation.

Hmm. Is that your broadband speed? Nooooo.

5 minutes ago, Noel Earvin Piamonte said:

I see. I think I will be building a gaming PC!

OK then I'd look into Intel Core i7 but how much do you know about computers?

Just now, teddy710 said:

OK then I'd look into Intel Core i7 but how much do you know about computers?

I am more on the software side as I am a developer. But I do not know ANYTHING about the hardwares. LOL.

1 minute ago, Noel Earvin Piamonte said:

I am more on the software side as I am a developer. But I do not know ANYTHING about the hardwares. LOL.

OK and if you get any full builds from anyone on here you may wanna do a little research so as not to get anything you won't want. A friend of mine gave me a full build about 4 months ago and I didn't know anything about computers. But I learned since then and looked back on his plan for me and realized it was total trash lol so glad I didn't just go with his word.

3 minutes ago, teddy710 said:

OK and if you get any full builds from anyone on here you may wanna do a little research so as not to get anything you won't want. A friend of mine gave me a full build about 4 months ago and I didn't know anything about computers. But I learned since then and looked back on his plan for me and realized it was total trash lol so glad I didn't just go with his word.

Thanks for the tip! I will do a lot of reading then on the recommendations on this page. Cool.