Anybody interested in VR and want to do a survey?

Hey all,

I haven't really posted on here before, but I am starting up a business and need to do some market research before I go further...

The idea is 'top secret' :P But it's basically it's a VR cafe or lounge... Whatever you want to call it, it simply would be a venue, which you could go and try out VR headsets before you decide to buy (Along with other services). Or you could come multiple times if you don't have a good enough computer (Or don't want to invest in a headset) and use the Vive for a few hours etc. Maybe we could even host birthday parties if we get big.

Here is the survey, It is supposed to be for Australians only, but I welcome all input!

http://goo.gl/forms/bs6FhKMdCi

Nathan

A lazy software engineer from Australia.

Specs Below:

Spoiler

Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.10 Dual Boot

Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5

Mouse: MX Master

Monitors: Dell 1440p 25" somethings

(I change out hardware often so this may not be accurate.)

CPU: Intel i7 4790K

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB

SSD: 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe

for the charges per hour question

i think its only justifiable if you charge around $5 for the headset only

because $10 would mean a new headset in 80-hours

which is about less than a month of gameplay

i would rather buy my own headset if thats the charge lol

$10 would be fair if it includes the computer and the games too

for just the headset, no

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Nathooo_ said:

Hey all,

I haven't really posted on here before, but I am starting up a business and need to do some market research before I go further...

The idea is 'top secret' :P But it's basically it's a VR cafe or lounge... Whatever you want to call it, it simply would be a venue, which you could go and try out VR headsets before you decide to buy (Along with other services). Or you could come multiple times if you don't have a good enough computer (Or don't want to invest in a headset) and use the Vive for a few hours etc. Maybe we could even host birthday parties if we get big.

Here is the survey, It is supposed to be for Australians only, but I welcome all input!

http://goo.gl/forms/bs6FhKMdCi

Nathan

i would think this could be a viable venture, not everyone can afford to buy a vr system, myself included i wouldn't mind laying down some cash to try it out, some gamestops have actually started demoing the headsets but are limiting the time you can use it.

there are a lot places that survive on just guys who play league or dota, but i think its mainly because it is like a lan party and can have a night out with your friends.

i was thinking about buying one and doing like a mobile vr rental business or even renting out a big storage locker which is cost effective and has a lot of space to run something like the vive which allows you more of an spacial type of game play. 

good luck on your business if you decide to go that route, better to get on it while its hot and expensive , once the prices drop on headsets and gpus the market for this type of venture might get weak. 

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

for the charges per hour question

i think its only justifiable if you charge around $5 for the headset only

because $10 would mean a new headset in 80-hours

which is about less than a month of gameplay

i would rather buy my own headset if thats the charge lol

$10 would be fair if it includes the computer and the games too

for just the headset, no

Yeah, If I was just leasing a headset, I would totally charge like $5/hour. But there are lots of other costs involved, there is the computer to run each headset ($2000), then staff wages for assistance and admin (Which is around $18-$25/hour in Australia.) and the cost of the games if we decide to provide unlimited access to games. Our pricing model is probably not going to be finalized until we get close to launch.

PS: Thanks for your input :D

Specs Below:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Nathooo_ said:

Yeah, If I was just leasing a headset, I would totally charge like $5/hour. But there are lots of other costs involved, there is the computer to run each headset ($2000), then staff wages for assistance and admin (Which is around $18-$25/hour in Australia.) and the cost of the games if we decide to provide unlimited access to games. Our pricing model is probably not going to be finalized until we get close to launch.

PS: Thanks for your input :D

that said, if i were to go just to try out VR before investing

i would pay even $30 just for an experience ($30 before investing in $800 is worth it lol)

but for long term rental, refer to my previous post

maybe a member system? member price vs normal price :P

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

How are you going to deal with hygiene?

How are you going to provide content? Developing VR is no easy task and there are definitely safety risks involved. 

It's just way too early for anything like this yet imo. (It would be incredibly easy to pickpocket someone immersed in VR)

The best that you could probably do now is akin to the 'VR' arcade machines that already exist. Just hook up a pc with Rift and maybe a Virtuix Omni with motion controls and just let someone pay to play it.

VR is something you want to be engrossed in and it's really not ready to be used in public IMO. You'd be better off with locked rooms if you are for real.

Basicly what Network Cafes's were before everyone had Internet. Could work.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

5 minutes ago, Sky Daddy said:

How are you going to provide content? Developing VR is no easy task and there are definitely safety risks involved. 

It's just way too early for anything like this yet imo. (It would be incredibly easy to pickpocket someone immersed in VR)

The best that you could probably do now is akin to the 'VR' arcade machines that already exist. Just hook up a pc with Rift and maybe a Virtuix Omni with motion controls and just let someone pay to play it.

VR is something you want to be engrossed in and it's really not ready to be used in public IMO. You'd be better off with locked rooms if you are for real.

Just a suggestion but.. Maybe a locker room for guests to leave their things? And there are really good cleaning solutions that kill all the bacteria and suck. And maybe rooms or curtains if you are embarrassed of your stupid moves or just want to be more immersed?

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

42 minutes ago, Sky Daddy said:

I have a huge set of documents which outline how I would deal with hygiene, But in short, the padding is just velcroed on (Easily replaceable and washable) and the rest can be wiped with a huge ass packet of disinfecting wipes.

As for content, there are already heaps of games which are free and paid on steam for the vive and I expect more to be out by the time we finally launch.

For security/safety I was going to have the layout allowing only paying customers using the VR and staff in the areas which have the VR booths. (They would be like booths with curtains on each side in a hall)

- Nathan

Specs Below:

Spoiler