Need advice on current setup.

RickFn

I was looking for advise to upgrade my current setup I built in 2012.  I am trying to get back into PC gaming more now after being gone for sometime and am unsure if it is possible with my current setup to play FPS like COD or Battle Front on high settings.  I am looking to upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 980Ti but was unsure if any of my other components save for the motherboard and processor need to be upgraded.  I know the processor I have is great for over clocking, but have I have never attempted that before.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I posted a link to my specs below.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RickFn/saved/#view=t47mP6

9 minutes ago, RickFn said:

I was looking for advise to upgrade my current setup I built in 2012.  I am trying to get back into PC gaming more now after being gone for sometime and am unsure if it is possible with my current setup to play FPS like COD or Battle Front on high settings.  I am looking to upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 980Ti but was unsure if any of my other components save for the motherboard and processor need to be upgraded.  I know the processor I have is great for over clocking, but have I have never attempted that before.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I posted a link to my specs below.

OC your 2600k and you should be golden.

A GPU upgrade would be a good idea. The 980 ti is excellent if you can fit it in your budget.

I'm not sure that CPU is "great" for overclocking, but it's not bad.

Guess its pretty good actually

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

10 minutes ago, RickFn said:

You actually have a very nice build!! The friend who got me into PC tinkering has a 2600k overclocked and it's still going strong. If you're looking to upgrade your GPU, of course a 980 ti is going to be the best one you can get but, depending on your monitor, can get similar performance with a cheaper 980 or 970.

Kyle did a similar styled video. His 2600k did fine against a skylake upgrade. Even if it performed a little worse, the fps of the games were above 60fps, especially for 1080p gaming.

7 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

A GPU upgrade would be a good idea. The 980 ti is excellent if you can fit it in your budget.

I'm not sure that CPU is "great" for overclocking, but it's not bad.

i'm pretty sure the 2600k is/was a really great overclocking processor :)

Wow thanks for all the advice, I really do appreciate it!!  I will be definitely Over Clocking my 2600K after I put some research into it and Purchasing a GTX 980ti.  Any recommendations on a good monitor 21 to 23 inches between $200 and $300?  Thanks again!!

Just Purchased the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID GAMING with Water cooler.  Thanks for all the help you guys rock!!

10 hours ago, RickFn said:

Wow thanks for all the advice, I really do appreciate it!!  I will be definitely Over Clocking my 2600K after I put some research into it and Purchasing a GTX 980ti.  Any recommendations on a good monitor 21 to 23 inches between $200 and $300?  Thanks again!!

well the 980 Ti can stretch it legs in 1440p and those are usually bigger :) 25" is the smallest i could find

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umkg7aa002