[Need Advice/Opinions] Which Platform to choose?

drok
Go to solution Solved by Samdb,

Firstly the 3570K and the 4670K are essentially the same CPU, the 3570K has more inefficient clocks than the 4670K leading to a lower amount of IPC (Instructions Per Clock). However the 3570K produces a lot less heat that the 4670K although it still uses thermal paste. The 4670K and the Haswell series of processors are notorious from having cheap thermal compound between the die and the IHS, leading to a greater heat output, leading to less overclocking capability. However the Haswell series of processors also uses less power than the previes generation Ivy Bridge CPU's, or the 3570K in your circumstance. The two CPU's use different chipsets; the 3570K uses the Z77 chipset and the 4670K uses the Z87 chipset. Z77 boards have come down a lot in price recently and you can get more for what you would pay for a Z87 board. However, buying a Z87 board gives the opportunity to upgrade in the future, to the next series of Broadwell processors. Intel follows a tick tock pattern, first with an architecture change, then a die shrink. Haswell is meant to be a "tick" cycle, meaning the next series of Intel CPU's may be much better than Haswell. Ultimately the choice lies on what you want, do you want a good overclocker with lower heat output, however is older and does not leave room to upgrade? Or do you want a newer CPU which has a higher IPC more heat and the opportunity to upgrade?

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/IntelRally

Ok i am planning to buy a new pc (for gaming) and stuck between choosing Haswell

or trusty old Ivy Bridge with 2 choices that i have in mind.

As cooling i will be using Corsair Hydro Series H100i

1: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K (€ 207.90) + GIGABYTE G1.Sniper M3 (rev. 1.0) (€ 99.90)  (with total cost of € 307.80)

2: Intel® Core™ i5-4670K (€ 202.90) + ASRock Z87M Pro4 (€ 107.90) (total € 310.90)

I am currently leaning towards option 1 because of no lottery haswell chips.

So would like to hear opinions of people with more experience.

Living in netherlands

buying from http://www.alternate.nl

Firstly the 3570K and the 4670K are essentially the same CPU, the 3570K has more inefficient clocks than the 4670K leading to a lower amount of IPC (Instructions Per Clock). However the 3570K produces a lot less heat that the 4670K although it still uses thermal paste. The 4670K and the Haswell series of processors are notorious from having cheap thermal compound between the die and the IHS, leading to a greater heat output, leading to less overclocking capability. However the Haswell series of processors also uses less power than the previes generation Ivy Bridge CPU's, or the 3570K in your circumstance. The two CPU's use different chipsets; the 3570K uses the Z77 chipset and the 4670K uses the Z87 chipset. Z77 boards have come down a lot in price recently and you can get more for what you would pay for a Z87 board. However, buying a Z87 board gives the opportunity to upgrade in the future, to the next series of Broadwell processors. Intel follows a tick tock pattern, first with an architecture change, then a die shrink. Haswell is meant to be a "tick" cycle, meaning the next series of Intel CPU's may be much better than Haswell. Ultimately the choice lies on what you want, do you want a good overclocker with lower heat output, however is older and does not leave room to upgrade? Or do you want a newer CPU which has a higher IPC more heat and the opportunity to upgrade?

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/IntelRally

I'd say option 1. Haswell is very energy efficient, but it gets VERY hot.

Don't count out the AMD options though.

Ex.

FX 8350 €173.90, MSI 970A-GD43 €63.27 

(Total 237.17)

use the extra money for a good GPU, or an SSD.

since the difference between ivy and haswy is so small, just go with the newer, pop on cooler on it and overclock till it goes

where are you from and where are you buying from?

Ultimately the choice lies on what you want, do you want a good overclocker with lower heat output, however is older and does not leave room to upgrade? Or do you want a newer CPU which has a higher IPC more heat and the opportunity to upgrade?

Dont have plans to upgrade it in 4 years down the road, Ivy it is then.

EDIT

thanks for the post, was very informative

I'd say option 1. Haswell is very energy efficient, but it gets VERY hot.

Don't count out the AMD options though.

Ex.

FX 8350 €173.90, MSI 970A-GD43 €63.27 

(Total 237.17)

use the extra money for a good GPU, or an SSD.

Really want an intel

since the difference between ivy and haswy is so small, just go with the newer, pop on cooler on it and overclock till it goes

where are you from and where are you buying from?

Edited first post.