Cannot open settings

Gregbenson715
Go to solution Solved by MrG13,

get the updates all installed first (while you are at it, try to un-install that other software if you can),

make sure you do a complete shutdown once its completed and not just a restart to ensure a clean boot by the way, 

then if there is still an issue you could make a USB boot drive if you have your windows key and do re-install or boot from a windows disk to re-install so that won't be a problem if you have the original disc or key for windows. (If you bought it pre-installed you should have a OEM key sticker on the computer or possibly in your paperwork/original packaging) 

Im on windows 8, when I drag my mouse toward the top right corner and click on settings and then "change pc settings" the settings logo pops up for a second then it brings me to my start menu. I've tried the powershell cmd thing and red text pops up. Right now im running sfc /scannow. Any other fixes???

https://gfycat.com/MadKindAmericancrocodile

Link to what happens.

EDIT : sfc /scannow found nothing :/

start simple and try full shutdown and then a start up, if you are still seeing an issue, or it has been there a while, then try system restore to roll it back to a restore point when you remember it working

CPU:                Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Graphics:         Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-E

RAM:              Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

Case:                Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case - Black (3x 140mm Phantek fans)
MOBO:            Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Boot SSD:        Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA
Game SSD:      Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive

CPU Cooling:  Overclockers UK & SilverStone - 120mm FQ121WC Watercooling Radiator Fan x 2
                       Asetek 240mm 570LX

PSU:               Corsair 750M Semi-Modular 80 Plus Gold rated

Monitor 1:       Sony BRAVIA KDL32W705BBU Smart 32" LED TV

Monitor 2:       Samsung 24" S24C300

Keyboard:        Razer Blackwidow Chroma

Mouse:             Roccat TYON

Speakers:         SBS2112 with Bluetooth

Headset:           Turtle Beach Elite 800 Stealth

Try opening it through the search menu in Windows.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Also found this which may help:

Press Win + R shortcut keys. When the Run dialog appears on the screen, type or copy-paste the following in the text box:

Explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder\Windows.ImmersiveControlPanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

It will open PC Settings directly. This is the fastest way to access PC Settings in Windows 8. You can create a shortcut to this command and assign a global hotkey from its Properties to launch the PC Settings application quickly. See how to add global hotkeys to launch your favorite applications in Windows 8.1.

Ref: 

http://winaero.com/blog/learn-all-the-possible-ways-to-open-pc-settings-in-windows-8/

CPU:                Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Graphics:         Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-E

Case:                Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case - Black (3x 140mm Phantek fans)
MOBO:            Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Game SSD:      Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive

CPU Cooling:  Overclockers UK & SilverStone - 120mm FQ121WC Watercooling Radiator Fan x 2
                       Asetek 240mm 570LX

14 minutes ago, MrG13 said:

Also found this which may help:

Press Win + R shortcut keys. When the Run dialog appears on the screen, type or copy-paste the following in the text box:

Explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder\Windows.ImmersiveControlPanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

It will open PC Settings directly. This is the fastest way to access PC Settings in Windows 8. You can create a shortcut to this command and assign a global hotkey from its Properties to launch the PC Settings application quickly. See how to add global hotkeys to launch your favorite applications in Windows 8.1.

Ref: 

http://winaero.com/blog/learn-all-the-possible-ways-to-open-pc-settings-in-windows-8/

Did that and it did the same thing :/

looks like something is forcing it to close, could be something hardware so check your keyboard hasn't got any keys sticking down, (try opening other programs or note/word and see if any key repeats and you can type correctly),

With this there are a load of old issues that it could be so system restore is normally a good thing to try. 

It could also be a corrupt MS account so try logging into the guest account or if you have a second admin account on the computer log in to that and see if its the same issue. 

I had an issue on windows 10 recently where I had loads of random rubbish happen and my mail app wouldn't work, only thing I could do was fresh install or create a new admin account and transfer all my files to that (which I choose the later and everything is working fine now, the old account is still on my PC and still not working for no reason I can gather lmao!) 

so you can try this and see if it helps, its a pain but quicker than a full install: 

BTW these aren't my spelling mistakes and link to the site I found it is below ;) )

Simple Fix

1.   Backup all files to an external hard drive, flash drive, etc.

2. delete broken account

3.   Create another account on your computer, you can do this by switching to another account and going   to PC settings - Accounts - other accounts - Add account

4. create account with same Microsoft account used for the original, broken, account

5. open it up every thing should be fixed, and settings saved.

6. reload files from external hard drive, flash drive, etc.

Your Done!

Note: I am pretty Shure this doesn't work if you don't have a profile that's not broken, because there is no way,(to my knowledge) to create a new account or delete an existing account. This is because these options are only in PC settings which is inaccessible on a broken account.

Credit Reference to: 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/windows-8-app-store-and-pc-settings-wont-open/7d1e049c-85eb-488e-b434-1971e60a5b07?page=5

Asetek 240mm 570LX

and if that doesn't work then this seems to work for some also: 

Hello,

I had this problem , it is now fixed,

first make sure you set you country and language settings right to your real country you live in.

the open  : Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting

then click on  : fix problems with windows update
Click : next
Click : Try Troubleshooting as an Administrator
Click : close 

restart you pc.

the try to update your apps on the app store.

Asetek 240mm 570LX

if none of that works you can try this which helps some people, 

search for command prompt in the search bar, right click and run as admin, copy and paste this:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\ImmersiveControlPanel\AppxManifest.xml

try again and see if it works....

let us know if it does fix! 

Asetek 240mm 570LX

17 minutes ago, MrG13 said:

search for command prompt in the search bar, right click and run as admin, copy and paste this:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\ImmersiveControlPanel\AppxManifest.xml

tried it again and still the red text pops up

18 minutes ago, MrG13 said:

Also I ran hitman pro and this file mfc45.dat pops up as suspicious, i looked it up and people are saying that the file is corrupted, how can I repair the file?

Have you tried logging into a different account and then seeing if its the same issue? you can create one by following the below steps: 

WSReset:

1. Please press and hold windows key + r and type in wsreset.exe

2. Hit enter

Creating new user account

1. Please press and hold windows key + x

2. Choose command prompt(admin)

3. Type in net user <desired username> /add

4. hit enter.

5. type in net localgroup administrators <the username that you created> /add

6. hit enter

and if it does work then follow this to move all you programs and folders over with ease.... you may again need to 'run as admin' to make it work and access the user files: 

Migrating your files

1. Please go to this pc

2. open C drive

3. look for the Users folder

4. open the old account folder and copy all it's content

5. go back to previous menu

6. open the new user account folder

7. paste the files from old user account

Asetek 240mm 570LX

Just now, MrG13 said:

Have you tried logging into a different account and then seeing if its the same issue? you can create one by following the below steps: 

WSReset:

1. Please press and hold windows key + r and type in wsreset.exe

2. Hit enter

Creating new user account

1. Please press and hold windows key + x

2. Choose command prompt(admin)

3. Type in net user <desired username> /add

4. hit enter.

5. type in net localgroup administrators <the username that you created> /add

6. hit enter

and if it does work then follow this to move all you programs and folders over with ease.... you may again need to 'run as admin' to make it work and access the user files: 

Migrating your files

1. Please go to this pc

2. open C drive

3. look for the Users folder

4. open the old account folder and copy all it's content

5. go back to previous menu

6. open the new user account folder

7. paste the files from old user account

Yes I did, same thing happens.

3 minutes ago, Gregbenson715 said:

Also I ran hitman pro and this file mfc45.dat pops up as suspicious, i looked it up and people are saying that the file is corrupted, how can I repair the file?

Are you running System Mechanic pro software? that seems to be linked to that some how.... i see if i can find anything else also... 

Asetek 240mm 570LX

7 minutes ago, Gregbenson715 said:

Found the below here: 

BUT it is dated 2015 march and only seems to be with people who have that fore-mentioned software... 

iolo_technologies replied on March 18, 2015See post history
Hey everyone,

Thank you for all of the information that was provided and for the many comments regarding this file. We are iolo technologies, the creators of System Mechanic and the MFC45.dat file that is in question.

It is extremely helpful for us to know about everyone's user experiences and any complications found while running our software simultaneously with other programs. 

We'd like to let you know that the MFC45.dat file is not harmful in anyway. The file itself was created specifically by us to provide security for our users and their product licenses as a result of the rising cracks and hacks for System Mechanic. 

We are aware that this file has sometimes been mistakenly detected by certain antivirus programs and we've addressed this issue in the latest update this week.

Lastly, we are also working on a solution that does not require this file. We plan to have this fix addressed in a future product update. Please let us know if there are any questions or concerns that you may still have, we'd be happy to answer them! 

Thank you!

Asetek 240mm 570LX

4 minutes ago, MrG13 said:

Are you running System Mechanic pro software? that seems to be linked to that some how.... i see if i can find anything else also... 

Yup its in my computer, i thought i got rid of it.

1 minute ago, Gregbenson715 said:

Yup its in my computer, i thought i got rid of it.

well that is one thing ruled out anyway lol! 

Do you have any system restore points you can roll back too?

have you checked windows update has nothing to do and also your graphics card drivers are up to date?

Asetek 240mm 570LX

Just now, MrG13 said:

have you checked windows update has nothing to do and also your graphics card drivers are up to date?

I tried system restore but somehow it failed, checking for updates now.

4 minutes ago, MrG13 said:

Oh wow a lot of updates

15 minutes ago, MrG13 said:

Oh and btw what im doing in the settings, I want to restore my pc basically to factory settings but keeping windows installed.

1 minute ago, Gregbenson715 said:

Oh and btw what im doing in the settings, I want to restore my pc basically to factory settings but keeping windows installed.

And going from settings is the only way i know how

get the updates all installed first (while you are at it, try to un-install that other software if you can),

make sure you do a complete shutdown once its completed and not just a restart to ensure a clean boot by the way, 

then if there is still an issue you could make a USB boot drive if you have your windows key and do re-install or boot from a windows disk to re-install so that won't be a problem if you have the original disc or key for windows. (If you bought it pre-installed you should have a OEM key sticker on the computer or possibly in your paperwork/original packaging) 

Asetek 240mm 570LX

14 minutes ago, Gregbenson715 said:

And going from settings is the only way i know how

are you doing the re-install because you are having other issues then or just want to clean up all the old software?

Asetek 240mm 570LX

19 minutes ago, MrG13 said:

are you doing the re-install because you are having other issues then or just want to clean up all the old software?

clean up old software

Just now, Gregbenson715 said:

clean up old software

do you have the windows key or original disc?

Asetek 240mm 570LX