New Gaming PC

baloonis

Greetings. I am upgrading my old PC and would like some advice,

I will use the PC for playing only MMORPG games (at 1440p preferably) and to watch movies, youtube, listen to music, etc.

I have already bought a few parts:

* INTEL i5 6600K

* SAMSUNG 850 Evo 250GB SSD

* GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GTX970 GPU

Now I am looking into motherboard, RAM, and CPU cooler.

For motherboard I think this   http://www.e-shop.gr/mitriki-asus-z170-pro-gaming-retail-p-PER.524409   

For CPU cooler I think this   http://www.e-shop.gr/noctua-nh-d15-p-PER.651291

Lastly, for RAM I have read that 16GB is enough for games, but I am a bit confused as to whether pick dual or quad channel and what is the ideal MHz speed.

I am new to PC building and would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Seek and you shall find.

5 minutes ago, baloonis said:

I am a bit confused as to whether pick dual or quad channel and what is the ideal MHz speed.

dual channel is fine, the 6700k only runs in dual channel

as for how many mhz, the higher the better? as long as your cpu and motherboard supports it lol

great motherboard choice

and great cpu cooler choice, though make sure your case fits the cooler and that ram clearance isnt an issue

im using the b150 pro gaming and im facing ram clearance issue with my dark rock pro 3 (a big heatsink)

its blocking the closest ram slot to the cpu so i can only run 3 sticks of ram, but i only run 2 sticks for dual channel bandwidth

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

With this CPU cooler you might have some problems with high profile RAM. the stick might get in the way of the cooler or fans, so be sure to check dimensions for that. Apart from that the motherboard and cpu coolers are great choices, but a bit expensive for what they are. if you are willing to pay for the "premium" stay with this, if not just know there are cheaper alternatives. 16 GB of RAM is plenty enough (8 is enough for most games anyways). dual channel vs quad is not very important, just pick the best configuration and don't worry about that. ideal RAM speed is anything below what your board can handle. the RAM speed is also not very important. i reccomend you go see the this video:

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

RAM speed is not really a factor for gaming so you can get 16gb of value RAM see 

That cooler you listed is really great. I got Hyper 612 version 2 for like 45usd and works really wellT

I

17 minutes ago, Kickflapper said:

RAM speed is not really a factor for gaming so you can get 16gb of value RAM see

i've always thought so too, but someone posted this video lol

Spoiler

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately