SATA mode set to RAID, but still have storage drives in AHCI? windows not starting.

Hakisak
Go to solution Solved by Hakisak,
2 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there Hakisak,

That's quite the storage pool there :)

Have you tried initializing the RAID after you've plugged all the data drives? There isn't really any difference between AHCI and RAID mode. RAID actually incorporates the AHCI features plus it adds support for RAID arrays. Some companies even recommend running your system in RAID mode instead of AHCI regardless if you are doing RAID or not (it simply puts all drives in JBOD mode). 

I'd contact the manufacturer's support to see if there really is a problem using a M.2 port and all the SATA ports at the same time. There may be a specific problem with the RAID settings that don't allow you to utilize all SATA ports when you have a hardware RAID and a M.2 port as active at the same time.

Captain_WD.

I managed to fix the issue just then. 
I deconstructed the RAID then did some screwing around and im pretty sure that the old(crappy)160gb wd blue didn't like having  "RAID" on front of its name. so I put that WD blue to the asmedia controller and put a WD black on the controller set to RAID. then I made sure everything was set to "legacy" then booted into windows and constructed the RAID via intel rapid storage.
everything seems to be working now, thanks.

Hello, ill try and keep this clear and simple.

my part list http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/rzGtXL

Yesterday I installed windows 7 on the 950 pro m.2 SSD (after some miracle).

i have two 120gb 520 SSD's i want to raid-0(for games'n'stuff), so I set SATA mode to RAID then taping CTRL+I i setup the raid.

once I'm in windows the raid-0 is all'g.

the problem:

when i plug in my 5 storage HDD's (that have data on them) and try booting(yes the boot is still set to the 950pro) the computer halts at the windows logo (the logo is still moving) but its just stuck (i left it for 30min with no luck).

so i try setting "sata mode" back to "AHCI" which windows boots and my HDD's work(yay!), but then my raid-0 has fallen apart (don't worry there is nothing on the SSD's).

so how do i keep my RAID-0 and have "sata mode" on "AHCI" for the storage drives?

or is this not possible?

here are some pics from my BIOS

-thanks

EDIT: I have the latest mobo update and all the windows update (except win-10, lol)

4 hours ago, Hakisak said:

~snip~

Hey there Hakisak,

Have you tried initializing the RAID after you've plugged all the data drives? There isn't really any difference between AHCI and RAID mode. RAID actually incorporates the AHCI features plus it adds support for RAID arrays. Some companies even recommend running your system in RAID mode instead of AHCI regardless if you are doing RAID or not (it simply puts all drives in JBOD mode). 

I'd contact the manufacturer's support to see if there really is a problem using a M.2 port and all the SATA ports at the same time. There may be a specific problem with the RAID settings that don't allow you to utilize all SATA ports when you have a hardware RAID and a M.2 port as active at the same time.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

2 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there Hakisak,

Captain_WD.

I managed to fix the issue just then. 
I deconstructed the RAID then did some screwing around and im pretty sure that the old(crappy)160gb wd blue didn't like having  "RAID" on front of its name. so I put that WD blue to the asmedia controller and put a WD black on the controller set to RAID. then I made sure everything was set to "legacy" then booted into windows and constructed the RAID via intel rapid storage.
everything seems to be working now, thanks.