Questions.

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
3 hours ago, Mikius10001 said:

Hello all,

I have 0 F@H experience so I have a couple questions. I have an old rig sitting around that has a dual core phenom 3.0 ghz or something with 2 GTS 250s in it. I was wondering if this would be worth it to setup as a folding rig? Primarily for the power vs results. Secondly,if I was to set this up as a folding rig, could I also use this PC as a NAS? Or is that a bad idea?

Honestly, I don't think it'll even work. The CPU part will do for sure, but I think the GTS 250 is too old and not compatible, though I might be wrong on that. And even then, it's either going to miss the deadlines or just BARELY make it. I wouldn't use that system for folding.

But you can use for Boinc instead. For the CPU, I suggest World Community Grid (check the link in my signature). For the GPUs, I suggest PrimeGrid's PPS Sieve Subproject. You might also be able to run the GFN-17-Low subproject, though OpenCl might be shaddy on the GTS 250, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Hello all,

I have 0 F@H experience so I have a couple questions. I have an old rig sitting around that has a dual core phenom 3.0 ghz or something with 2 GTS 250s in it. I was wondering if this would be worth it to setup as a folding rig? Primarily for the power vs results. Secondly,if I was to set this up as a folding rig, could I also use this PC as a NAS? Or is that a bad idea?

2 minutes ago, Mikius10001 said:

Hello all,

Would be fine as a little NAS sure, and you could leave it folding since a NAS will be on 24/7 :)

Or donate the money to charity :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It depends. Folding@Home is not a light task. While the computer will run it (I've used an old ThinkPad with a Core 2 Duo L-series), it'll run hot. If you use Windows, you can run Folding@Home in the background, then use the built-in sharing tools within Windows to create file shares.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Would be fine as a little NAS sure, and you could leave it folding since a NAS will be on 24/7 :)

Or donate the money to charity :D

@ShadowCaptain While the charity bit is a nice idea, I actually build PC's from donated parts and give them to local Social work groups so I would do that instead :)

I stupidly didn't even think about the NAS being on all the time consuming power anyways, haha, totally missed that beat that's for sure. So the power question would be irrelevant. As for the cooling, obviously I'm not going to water cool 2x250's, but I have 5 case fans in that little bugger, do you think it could keep up? @kimsejin5

Just now, Mikius10001 said:

@ShadowCaptain While the charity bit is a nice idea, I actually build PC's from donated parts and give them to local Social work groups so I would do that instead :)

I stupidly didn't even think about the NAS being on all the time consuming power anyways, haha, totally missed that beat that's for sure. So the power question would be irrelevant. As for the cooling, obviously I'm not going to water cool 2x250's, but I have 5 case fans in that little bugger, do you think it could keep up? @kimsejin5

Depends...what case fans are they? Pressure optimized or airflow optimized? Get some good quality fans (cough cough **noctua** cough cough) or something with an SSO bearing, single ball bearing or double ball bearing. That kind of system would not take well to a sudden loss of ventilation.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Pressure vs air flow, I'm not to sure. There are 2 in the front, 1 on the side panel, and the 2 exhausts back and top. I feel like airflow is the winner here but again, not entirely sure. The 2 exhaust are the stock case fans, the other 3 are cheap cooler master 120mm fans, nothing amazing that's for sure. I think they were like $4 each on sale, haha.

20 minutes ago, Mikius10001 said:

I stupidly didn't even think about the NAS being on all the time consuming power anyways, haha, totally missed that beat that's for sure. So the power question would be irrelevant.

not quite irrelevant since folding will consume more power than the computer just being idle

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3 hours ago, Mikius10001 said:

Hello all,

Honestly, I don't think it'll even work. The CPU part will do for sure, but I think the GTS 250 is too old and not compatible, though I might be wrong on that. And even then, it's either going to miss the deadlines or just BARELY make it. I wouldn't use that system for folding.

But you can use for Boinc instead. For the CPU, I suggest World Community Grid (check the link in my signature). For the GPUs, I suggest PrimeGrid's PPS Sieve Subproject. You might also be able to run the GFN-17-Low subproject, though OpenCl might be shaddy on the GTS 250, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!