To wait or not to wait (gpu upgrade)

ChrisxParkinson

Hey guys, 

I recently upgraded my pc to skylake, but i did so by also switching to a MATX case.... i had a 290x with a big fat rad attached to it and my cpu cooler didnt leave it enough space so I decided il leave it in the PC i salvaged it from and probably give it to my bro or sell the old system.... 

So, I'm wondering if I should upgrade my PC now to something like a 970... or should I grab an old 570 and just hold out til the pascal launch.... idk if I will be able to resist the upgrade bug... but damn it i think i might try ! 

- Chris

wait a while, prices are already dropping on some of the lower end cards, even the gtx 960 dropped to $130 a week ago on sale. if you can wait even longer im sure black friday will have some great deals with the launch of the newer cards

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

if you were asking 3 months ago, i would say go ahead and buy it. but at this point id just wait it out. 

Decide on a nice and low maximum price and bid that price on the GPU you want on ebay.

When you're outbid, move on to another auction with the same max bid.

If you don't end up getting a card at a great price by the time the new cards release, you can swipe a new gen card.

If you do end up getting a card at a good price, you can even repeat the process again when the prices drop in the future and SLi/Crossfire. 

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

not sure about pascal since AMD rumors are promising , either ways it's a win if you wait , but dont expect close to a 10% bump on the first wave of GPU'S initially, you need to wait even further for the higher tiers to show up, ofcourse there will be a pascal titan at first, but it will be like the same as always

Details separate people.

8 minutes ago, papapoi said:

wait a while, prices are already dropping on some of the lower end cards, even the gtx 960 dropped to $130 a week ago on sale. if you can wait even longer im sure black friday will have some great deals with the launch of the newer cards

Let's pray that they're released by then O.o

If I don't hear something relatively soon, I might go insane.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

Let's pray that they're released by then O.o

If I don't hear something relatively soon, I might go insane.

i know how you feel i have a gtx 960 that is not vr ready supposedly, i want to upgrade but waiting on price drops or someone making a vid showing that it is possible to get a good vr experience with a setup less than required specs.

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20