Cheapest solution for mass storage

What would the best option be for one goal, simply the most amount of storage possible. Currently, Im looking at 3, 3TB WD blues for $99 a piece. Thats $300 for 9TB of storage. I dont really know much about other HDDs other than WD. The data on these drives although I dont want to lose, is non-critical so Im not looking for the "best of the best" it terms of data protection. What other drives could I get (any size) that combined could give me for storage for less or the same money?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

e-bay's refurbished HDD? If u want it cheap. see if the seller is reliable of course. 

These are a little cheaper and have great reliability:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-hua723030ala640

These are even cheaper per GB, but at only 2TB per drive will require more drives and hassle:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-0f10311

Both of the above drives are 7200 RPM drives, and IIRC the 3TB WD Blue drives are only 5400 RPM so if performance matters in any way, these are better.

Damn op what you gonna store on those massive drives *insert Lenny face*

33 minutes ago, Lotus said:

These are a little cheaper and have great reliability:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-hua723030ala640

These are even cheaper per GB, but at only 2TB per drive will require more drives and hassle:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-0f10311

Both of the above drives are 7200 RPM drives, and IIRC the 3TB WD Blue drives are only 5400 RPM so if performance matters in any way, these are better.

Go with this OP. The drives are of good quality, and the cheaper price does help. As well, you should see performance difference between 5400-7200 depending on situation it changes.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

8 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

Is 9TB the total amount of storage that you need? Are you looking for certain minimum performance from that drive (speed, vibrations, noise, heat)? Are you looking for some redundancy level? 

You could check out the 6TB version of WD Blue and the 8TB version of WD Red and see if any of them work for you price-wise and you can add a smaller WD Blue as the remaining of the drive pool. :)

Post back if you have any questions! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

4 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there :)

Is 9TB the total amount of storage that you need? Are you looking for certain minimum performance from that drive (speed, vibrations, noise, heat)? Are you looking for some redundancy level? 

You could check out the 6TB version of WD Blue and the 8TB version of WD Red and see if any of them work for you price-wise and you can add a smaller WD Blue as the remaining of the drive pool. :)

Post back if you have any questions! 

Captain_WD.

Im looking for the most storage possible for around $300-350. I don't have any specifics regarding speed/vibration/noise and redundancy isn't needed.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

12 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

What would the best option be for one goal, simply the most amount of storage possible. Currently, Im looking at 3, 3TB WD blues for $99 a piece. Thats $300 for 9TB of storage. I dont really know much about other HDDs other than WD. The data on these drives although I dont want to lose, is non-critical so Im not looking for the "best of the best" it terms of data protection. What other drives could I get (any size) that combined could give me for storage for less or the same money?

Just as a heads up, if you watch Newegg and Amazon for sales the 3TB Red drives go on sale for $99 pretty darn often. While they aren't necessarily as high performance as Blues, they are RAID optimized and when you start getting into large amounts of storage like this, RAID tends to happen more often than not.

17 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

~snip~

Well, since this is the case you may be able to easily get to 10TB with WD Blue drives with your budget, depending on where you are getting the drives. A combination of a 6TB with a 3TB or a 4TB should be around that budget. :)

On another note, I'd agree with @EmeraldFlame.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

14 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Well, since this is the case you may be able to easily get to 10TB with WD Blue drives with your budget, depending on where you are getting the drives. A combination of a 6TB with a 3TB or a 4TB should be around that budget. :)

On another note, I'd agree with @EmeraldFlame.

Captain_WD.

yeah I think I will go with WD drives then because the other options don't offer much more storage if any, and are only around $10 cheaper per drive (which isn't much on a $100 drive) and I've had a great experience with WD so I think I'll stick with them.

Whats the best place to buy the drives? Im looking newegg/amazon but are there any other sellers that might have them for cheaper that are good?

On 8.04.2016 г. at 1:02 AM, suchamoneypit said:

~snip~

Thanks for the good words on the WD drives. :)

I can't really say where is the best place to get them. As long as you have the full warranty and you make sure the drive is healthy upon installation, you should be fine. :) I'm sure the guys here at the forum can give their feedback on places where they get their storage from!

Captain_WD.