SSD inside a relic

JeyTee84

I'm trying to get back a ~12 year old pc to life. It has a K8V SE deluxe EayZ mobo. Refreshed it, bought some cheap ram... Now it works perfectly fine with its old HDD. But I'd really like to change that to an SSD. I have an Adata 120GB Premier SP550 but the bios doesn't seem to recognize it. Tried an older Samsung Sata2 drive but that didn't work either. I dont know if it could be that the BIOS is outdated. If it is, can i flash a new version without flopy disks and drive?
Anyone any ideas how could I make this work? Or am I stuck with the old pata drive?

Any help is appreciated :)

it should work if your motherboard supports sata (1 or 2 or 3, it will just run at lower speed)

did you connect sata power? :P

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 minutes ago, JeyTee84 said:

I'm trying to get back a ~12 year old pc to life. It has a K8V SE deluxe EayZ mobo. Refreshed it, bought some cheap ram... Now it works perfectly fine with its old HDD. But I'd really like to change that to an SSD. I have an Adata 120GB Premier SP550 but the bios doesn't seem to recognize it. Tried an older Samsung Sata2 drive but that didn't work either. I dont know if it could be that the BIOS is outdated. If it is, can i flash a new version without flopy disks and drive?
Anyone any ideas how could I make this work? Or am I stuck with the old pata drive?

Any help is appreciated :)

I have some mobos from ~8-10 yrs ago and only two of them have SATA and if it from 12 Years ago i highly doubt  that it has any SATA ports, and if it does they are going to revision one. And if you use and IDE to SATA adapter you will not notice the performance difference. So in theory, the short answer is "Yes" but the long answer is "No". 

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

U tried changing SATA port/cable ?
Old SATA II drives have pins and need a jumper to go to SATA I only mode - check for them on the back (near SATA port).
Maybe Your motherboard needs this, with newer drives.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016. 04. 04. at 6:48 PM, agent_x007 said:

U tried changing SATA port/cable ?
Old SATA II drives have pins and need a jumper to go to SATA I only mode - check for them on the back (near SATA port).
Maybe Your motherboard needs this, with newer drives.

Yeah I did. Right now i cant even get the Old original pata drive to work :D:D
Any idea if a thing like this could work, and help me with this problem?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-PATA-IDE-TO-Serial-SATA-Interface-Hard-Drive-HDD-Adapter-Converter-EA-/262123923312?hash=item3d07cda770:g:d-QAAOSwhcJWNyeA

"should" work just fine.  So basically, here's the drill:

1)  Verify that the SATA port works with a SATA HDD.

2)  Verify that the SSD works by plugging it into a known-to-work SATA port.

3)  If the combination of the SATA HDD and the working (with a HDD) SATA port doesn't work, then you, my friend, have discovered one of the first SATA incompatabilities I'm personally aware of.