My First PC

Hey everyone,

Id like to build a new gaming pc. 

1. Budget & Location

I'd like to spend about 1000 to 1200 for the PC. I live in the Netherlands so everything has to be done in euro's (€).

2. Aim

I want to build a small, silent gaming pc that will be placed in the living room. The main goal is gaming but i also do some CAD work from time to time, nothing major tho. Games i'd like to play are GTA V, Crysis 3, Just Cause 3, Kerbal Space Program, Guild Wars 2.

3. Monitors

currently i have no monitors but i plan on buying a 1440p one. maybe ill add a seccond monitor but not for gaming. more as a workspace expansion, things like skype, a webbrowser, that kind of stuff. im also planning to buy a 4k TV but im not expecting max settings for the higher demanding games or anything.

4. Peripherals

I need a keyboard, mouse and windows. i have a keyboard and mouse but its office stuff etc. I tend to prefer racing games over shooters like CoD and BF so i gues that makes the keyboard more important than the mouse. im not quite sure yet if i want to buy them with or without the 1000 to 1200 budget but for now lets say without.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I dont have a gaming pc, i have a laptop but it wont run the higher demanding games with enjoyable FPS.

after watching a ton of Linus Tech Tips video's, I put together a build myself but im not the best at this so feel free to remove, add, swap parts or suggest a totally different build.

the parts im pretty sure of are the case, because of its small size no compromises and the Asus GTX 970 STRIX. the "no fan below 60 degree celcius" is a huge plus for me.

if you suggest a different case please keep in mind it has to have a Optical drive bay. Silence and dust filters are prefered aswell. Im thinking of watercooling the CPU because the case is pretty small and these watercoolers keep some open space for some airflow. I wont be doing any overclocking. 

For the RAM i'd like to use DDR4 in order to "futureproof" my build a little. 

The Motherbord needs to have WiFi.

The attatched file is the build i put together.

Thats it i gues, Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks, MisterE

EDIT 1: forgot to say that i have a 1TB HDD at home that i will be using for storage

Naamloos.png

Avoid the V300, its NAND was swapped and its way slower now: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Also get 8GB for now and upgrade later most games don't need 16GB now, and ditch the CD drive if you plan on using it only to install windows (you can install it without it). 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

thanks for the information, i will look for a different SSD. how is RAM usage on cad programs?

If you're not overclocking, rule out the 6600K and Z170. It also gives you more the reason to also switch out your CPU cooler, especially when a cheaper air cooler will be outperform a 120mm AIO while generally being more quieter.

If you're going 1440p, grab a R9 390. It is the better performing card at that resolution.

Grab a different SSD. Preferably the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, but the A-data SP550 is a good alternative budget choice.

Here's a rough idea of what to get. It should be in the same price range as your proposed build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($85.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1011.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-04 03:21 EDT-0400

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

thanks for the reply's

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

ditch the CD drive if you plan on using it only to install windows (you can install it without it). 

I need it for older games that i might considder installing. And im also going to use it to play some DVD's when hooked up to the tv. I thought of buying a BluRay but i dont have any BR disks and i dont think ill ever buy them.

56 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

If you're not overclocking, rule out the 6600K

The reason why i went for the K instead of the non K was a €10 difference while there is a 0.2 GHz difference.

It also gives you more the reason to also switch out your CPU cooler, especially when a cheaper air cooler will be outperform a 120mm AIO while generally being more quieter. 

Actually i wanted to go for a 120x240 rad but i was too close to my budget. Do air coolers perform just as well in a tiny case like this as they do in a tower?

Grab a different SSD. Preferably the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

I will probably pick this one, Thanks

ill also look in the other parts

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, MisterE said:

thanks for the reply's

I'll also look in the other parts

0.2 GHz difference is essentially nothing. If you want to spend the extra euros for the Z170 and 6600K, it's fine, but it's kinda wasteful if you're not over clocking.

And yes. Air coolers will outperform 120mm AIOs in Mini-ITX builds like this, while generally being more quieter.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder