Any Elementary OS fans here?

I don't see much hype for elementary, even though it's one of the most popular distros out there.

Can I get some hype up in here?

I'll stick my hand up on this one. I've still got elementary (freya) on an old Lenovo X200 floating around here somewhere. I fell in love with it's really clean and simple take on a UI. It's become my go-to desktop linux distro but honestly, I work with and play with more server systems than desktops, my work machine is a macbook and my main home PC is a Windows one for gaming. That being said, if we do end up getting more game support and driver support on Linux, I could see myself booting Elementary on the gaming PC.

CPU: i5-6600k GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti Ram: 16GB DDR4 SSD: Samsung 950Pro 512gb m.2

I use it on my laptop currently, but there are a few software based things about freya that aren't working like they should (battery status) and it makes it hard for me to not have anything on the desktop

10 hours ago, Johners said:

I don't get the hype behind Elementary OS. You could literally just run Ubuntu GNOME and get the same user experience.

You could say this about any Ubuntu base. From Unity to XFCE. All provide solid user experiences. What is different here is look and feel, unified design, polish, and user friendliness. Of course Gnome 3 is also very polished (i use it!) but it still feels completely different to Pantheon.

Lord of Helium.

I like Elementary because, despite its clean and fairly modern design, it doesn't have oversized GUI elements like Gnome. That makes it nice for older machines with lower resolution screens. However, the irony is that it's such a heavy and sluggish distro that I wouldn't want to run it on most of my older laptops anyway.

Another core aspect of Elementary and its Pantheon desktop is the unified look and experience. However, that is also its weakness. Once you switch to a different browser for example, you loose the visual integration that only Midori provides. Furthermore, the icons of the programs that are included fit well with Pantheon, but once you switch to different programs or add others like VLC or GIMP to Plank, you loose that unified feeling again. The latter could be fixed if the Elementary team designed a proper complete redesigned icon set that matches the style of Pantheon. (although I do understand how much work that requires)

Don't get me wrong, I like Elementary, but sometimes I do feel like it's getting a bit more praise than it really should.

I used Elementary for a fair amount of time on my desktop. The UI is really beautiful (which I really don't care, since I basically use the terminal for almost everything).

But at the end, the limited tweaks and changes that I could do to the system without going to the source code made me switch back to Ubuntu. 

But truly one of the most beautiful distros avaiable.

In my opinion, actually the most beautiful distro.

Just changed because I wanted to change something that I could change easily using Ubuntu and couldn't find the option to change it using Elementary (don't remember what I wanted to change though)

I like it, but I'm not a big fan.

I told some of my friends to use Elementary OS because they like the UI, for newcomer it doesn't really intimidate them and it feels like OS X for them.

I like its simplicity and design though but I have to stay with GNOME (just tweak it a bit and it looks beautiful).

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

1 hour ago, DimasRMDO said:

I told some of my friends to use Elementary OS because they like the UI, for newcomer it doesn't really intimidate them and it feels like OS X for them.

I like its simplicity and design though but I have to stay with GNOME (just tweak it a bit and it looks beautiful).

Agreed, Elementary is the perfect OS for those who want to use Linux caually, and only casually. Grandmothers, children, or those who just want to try something new can all get behind how easy it is to use Elementary.

Lord of Helium.

I love ElementaryOS and I think it is a great operating system. However, it is not actually a great lightweight Linux distro. It can slow up on older computers, and it is perfect for casual use. 

If you are really into how your desktop environment looks, I would suggest installing the Numix Project icon set and GTK themes. They make a beautiful operating system even better :)

I'm a blogger, student, and developer. I love re-purposing old hardware such as PCs, routers, and phones. 

6 hours ago, Ben Potter said:

I love ElementaryOS and I think it is a great operating system. However, it is not actually a great lightweight Linux distro. It can slow up on older computers, and it is perfect for casual use. 

If you are really into how your desktop environment looks, I would suggest installing the Numix Project icon set and GTK themes. They make a beautiful operating system even better :)

Hey, Trenta OS looks beautiful as well. But hey, doesn't hurt to use Elementary OS :D

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

On 4/11/2016 at 11:54 AM, DimasRMDO said:

Oh yeah, I agree with you too. It is simple and beautiful. If the person is familiar with mac OS, then there shouldn't be any problems with it.