Suggestions to edit for a $600 PC Build

NiteWow

Decided I wanted to make an AMD based build due to budget however I am not adept when it comes to choosing parts. For this machine, I plan on using it for 1080p gaming and college based workloads. I will be using U.S currency to purchase the parts. Any suggestions will help!

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K ($69.99)

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO ($24.29)

MOBO: ASRock FM2A68M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ ($49.99)

Memory: 8GB (1x8) G. Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3-1833 ($33.99)

Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm ($45.89) + 240GB Kingston SSDNow V300 ($64.89)

GPU: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB ($169.99)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower ($64.99)

PSU: EVGA  SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular ($69.99)

Total: $594.01

i'm really not all too hype about that EVGA nex, neither about the kingston SSDNow V300.

I'm not too hype for the SSD either lol. People say its a must have for a boot drive apparently. I thought the PSU was good mainly because AMD's products are somewhat power hungry. What would you switch out for the PSU?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze

for the power supply, this is one of my favourite picks to recommend.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssda240gg25

for the SSD, its an SSD, and it'll do its thing, its not the fastest, but DANG is it cheap.

besides, i can still say that i dont have a single sandisk product that died from being used normally.

1 minute ago, ReturnOfCzex said:

G3258 outperforms 860K in gaming.

proof or get the flip out with your dualcore.

Save another 74 bucks and get an i5?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($201.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($61.97 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($32.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($56.83 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $674.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-02 22:57 EDT-0400

Or if you are really in a budget maybe an i3?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($126.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($61.97 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($32.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($56.83 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $599.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-02 22:59 EDT-0400

P.S with an ssd doee

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze

for the power supply, this is one of my favourite picks to recommend.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssda240gg25

for the SSD, its an SSD, and it'll do its thing, its not the fastest, but DANG is it cheap.

besides, i can still say that i dont have a single sandisk product that died from being used normally.

proof or get the flip out with your dualcore.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X4-860K/2434vs3265

There are more.

Crysis_285.png

Crysis_960.png

Bioshock_285.png

Bioshock_960.png

Metro_285.png

@ReturnOfCzex I was thinking about the G3258, but its a dual core; since gaming isn't my main focus I went with the 860k. Unless the G3258 is also better in terms of tasks? lol

1 minute ago, NiteWow said:

@ReturnOfCzex I was thinking about the G3258, but its a dual core; since gaming isn't my main focus I went with the 860k. Unless the G3258 is also better in terms of tasks? lol

Depends on the tasks.

1 minute ago, NiteWow said:

the pentium will rock the athlon's socks off in single threaded applications (and dual-threaded)

beyond that... eh... its a dualcore...

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

the pentium will rock the athlon's socks off in single threaded applications (and dual-threaded)

beyond that... eh... its a dualcore...

Depends on the workload. Is he rendering or word processing?

3 minutes ago, ReturnOfCzex said:

how many threads do those games use? anything optimized for 4 threads or more (most of what launches today) tends to perform mediocre, if at all, on a dualcore.

1 minute ago, ReturnOfCzex said:

Depends on the workload. Is he rendering or word processing?

last time cpu speed mattered in word processing was my 120MHz pentium :/

in fact, you can still do most office tasks just fine on a pentium 4...

Just now, manikyath said:

how many threads do those games use? anything optimized for 4 threads or more (most of what launches today) tends to perform mediocre, if at all, on a dualcore.

Most of these games can utilize four cores.

@Prömetheus Not a bad idea, I might go for an i5. really like the i3 based build as well. Would you recommend the i3 you listed or go for a g3258? Learning some stuff today lol

Just now, manikyath said:

last time cpu speed mattered in word processing was my 120MHz pentium :/

in fact, you can still do most office tasks just fine on a pentium 4...

The question was pointed at the OP to find out what type of work he's doing. 

Just now, ReturnOfCzex said:

The question was pointed at the OP to find out what type of work he's doing. 

what i'm saying is that if he's doing word processing you shouldnt look at what work he's doing because you may as well be running a raspberry pi at that point :P

in fact, i had my school laptop set up to pretty much downclock itself to 800MHz when on battery, because even when compiling code it honestly wasnt worth it.

PS: for rendering i'd certainly go for the athlon, unless if you're planning on overclocking the devil out of that pentium.

@manikyath If I were to OC the pentium while air cooled, do you know how much I would get out of it?

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what i'm saying is that if he's doing word processing you shouldnt look at what work he's doing because you may as well be running a raspberry pi at that point :P

in fact, i had my school laptop set up to pretty much downclock itself to 800MHz when on battery, because even when compiling code it honestly wasnt worth it.

PS: for rendering i'd certainly go for the athlon, unless if you're planning on overclocking the devil out of that pentium.

Or an i5 like the build I created.

@ReturnOfCzex Cool i5 build, I might not go for the 380x and reallocate the budget to probably a bigger case if needed be or some other thing

8 minutes ago, NiteWow said:

@Prömetheus Not a bad idea, I might go for an i5. really like the i3 based build as well. Would you recommend the i3 you listed or go for a g3258? Learning some stuff today lol

I suggest you go for the i5 if you have the cash. It's worth the upgrade

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |