Huge C: drive filled with nothing

UndeadPlayz

So I'm trying to migrate my OS to a smaller ssd. I made a system image to backup to after the process is over, so i started deleting all of the files that arent needed to run windows. [program files, user documents, etc.] After narrowing down the C: drive, all of the folders in it added up to 40gb. Though this is not the case when I right click the drive, it says it is 400gb even though I have literally only bare windows and a few program files in the hdd. Any ideas on how to fix this, I cant migrate the os when its 400gb and my ssd is 120gb.

5 minutes ago, UndeadPlayz said:

So I'm trying to migrate my OS to a smaller ssd. I made a system image to backup to after the process is over, so i started deleting all of the files that arent needed to run windows. [program files, user documents, etc.] After narrowing down the C: drive, all of the folders in it added up to 40gb. Though this is not the case when I right click the drive, it says it is 400gb even though I have literally only bare windows and a few program files in the hdd. Any ideas on how to fix this, I cant migrate the os when its 400gb and my ssd is 120gb.

It is probably only the partition you are talking about. Get a partition manager( believe Windows doesn't have one integrated )and shrink your partition. Shouldn't be a problem if there is only 40GB of Data left on it. 

Then you can happily clone the whole partition. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

It is probably only the partition you are talking about. Get a partition manager. I believe Windows doesn't have one integrated and shrink your partition. Shouldn't be a problem if there is only 40GB of Data left on it. 

Ive been using a partition wizard, and it shows up as 400gb in there and cant be shrunk at all. No idea what is taking up so much space, atm im trying to analyze whats taking up the space by using a disk analyzer.

7 minutes ago, UndeadPlayz said:

Ive been using a partition wizard, and it shows up as 400gb in there and cant be shrunk at all. No idea what is taking up so much space, atm im trying to analyze whats taking up the space by using a disk analyzer.

Search google for space sniffer. A useful tool that will show you in the size of a rectangle which folder/file takes up how much data on a drive. Really useful and helped me sort out the useless stuff taking up space on my SSD multiple times. Maybe that will be able to help you. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

16 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

It is probably only the partition you are talking about. Get a partition manager( believe Windows doesn't have one integrated )and shrink your partition. Shouldn't be a problem if there is only 40GB of Data left on it. 

Just used a similiar program, and it detected that the C: drive is 50gb, and windows says the whole drive is still over 400gb

21 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Search google for space sniffer. A useful tool that will show you in the size of a rectangle which folder/file takes up how much data on a drive. Really useful and helped me sort out the useless stuff taking up space on my SSD multiple times. Maybe that will be able to help you. 

After nearly 3 hours of looking, SOMEHOW I HAD 360gb OF FREAKING PREVIOUS FILE VERSIONS WTF

9 hours ago, UndeadPlayz said:

~snip~

Hey there UndeadPlayz,

I'd suggest to run Disk Clean and see if the function can detect any junk files. Such File Versions can be cleared this way. What are the backup/restore settings in your system? 

Re-sizing your drive's partition should be possible after cleaning those files and you should be able to clone your drive. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/