HDD not recognized as an internal SATA device

Zwitter
Go to solution Solved by Blake,

Open regedit:

goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\(whateveryourcontroller is listed as, try storahci or ahci)\Parameters\Device

Make a new DWORD key called TreatAsInternalPort and give it a decimal value of 1.

reboot.

should be good.

Considering your asking this type of question i'd recommend just putting up with the "you can eject this disk" prompt and not make any changes. As it is an internal sata disk it will get it's drive letter assigned well before any USB drives, so even if you connect a usb with the same drive letter it will auto re-assign it.

EDIT: also, the usual speal about it being the registry applies, you could break things here.

Hey!

So I just installed a DELOCK 89270 PCI Express x1 Card that gives 2 internal SATA 6Gb ports, because my main SATA ports on the MoBo are all in use. Now the problem is that, the HDD i just connected to one of the ports on the card are recognized as an external storage drive by the OS, like it's just a flash drive. (It appears in the status bar, and i can remove it safely.)

This wouldn't be a problem anyway, but I have a bunch of torrents seeding a lot of files on each drive. They all have their path by their drives' letter (C:\ - D:\ - G:\ etc.). I need all the drives to have a fix letter, because if the OS gives the HDD on the card a different path letter after a system reboot, the torrent client won't be able to find the exact path for the files located on that certain hard drive.

This looks like a very small problem, yet it's really important. I hope someone has an idea. I bet the solution already exists.

(The motherboard is an MSi B85M ECO, if that counts.)

The OS will not give a different drive letter everything it boots up. My Asus SATA card does the same thing. Your HDD is still a HDD not a flash drive. The removable icon is because of Hot Swap. That means you can actually unplug and replug in HDD while your computer is on. A nice feature that has finally been passed down from the server side. Most new current build from a year or so have this on the motherboard's built in SATA ports, but it's not turn on by default.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

There was one driver that had to be installed.

So I don't need to worry about the letters. However, if basic SATA ports can be turned on to be removable drives, is it possible to make the SATA cards' SATAs off?

Open regedit:

goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\(whateveryourcontroller is listed as, try storahci or ahci)\Parameters\Device

Make a new DWORD key called TreatAsInternalPort and give it a decimal value of 1.

reboot.

should be good.

Considering your asking this type of question i'd recommend just putting up with the "you can eject this disk" prompt and not make any changes. As it is an internal sata disk it will get it's drive letter assigned well before any USB drives, so even if you connect a usb with the same drive letter it will auto re-assign it.

EDIT: also, the usual speal about it being the registry applies, you could break things here.

9 hours ago, Zwitter said:

~snip~

Hey there Zwitter,

AS the guys explained, you are most probably seeing this due to the fact that the card supports hot-plugging. With this option you don't need to power down your PC in order to add or remove internal drives. 

If you go to Disk Management and right-click on the drive with the card you should be able to see the way the drive is recognized.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

9 hours ago, Blake said:

I've tried what you said, but it didn't work. I think i just have to get on with it, and leave things as they are. Thx for the help though.