HDD Speed Issue

rans

Hi guys, so i just bought 1TB seagate (i forgot the model) when i install it i tried the CDM to test speed and all was around 200+MB/s
So here is the issue
my main drive is 250gb western digital.
and my other storage is 1tb external msi.
i am confuse the last time (a few months ago) i tested both drives in the CDM and the results are 100+mb/s (something like 104-114)
the External is using USB 3.0

my external drive is nearly full (around 150+ gb available only) and i tested it with cdm i am surprise that the result is only 30+ mb/s 
and after i transfer the files into my 1tb hdd seagate i tested it again with CDM and result is around 140+ MB/s.
So does the storage capacity affect speed?

2 hours ago, Ranz said:

~snip~

Hey there Ranz :)

The benchmark speed shouldn't be affected by how much the drive is full. I would check if the OS and the drivers (particularly the ones for the USB) are up to date. You can also check if the results are the same on other ports and other computers to narrow down the problem either to your system or to the drive itself. 

Checking the drive's health is also a good thing to do. I would recommend using a manufacturer's tool for that plus getting the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status. If you are not sure how to read them feel free to post them here. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

hi thanks for responding.

i have tried my external to usb port 2.0 and 3.0 
both are the same result. around 30+ mb/s
i know that my 3.0 is getting upto 90-110mb a few months ago when i checked it.

btw my seagate 1tb is running slow just bought it yesterday. and i tried its speed peaking to 210mb/s (no files inside of drive)

after i put files (around 850GB) files the speed is now 130+ mb/s

2 hours ago, Ranz said:

~snip~

What's the model of the drive? I'd  check with the manufacturer if the spec sheet is available and what's the listed transfer speed there. Very few HDDs have speeds over 200MB/s and most are either high-performance 10k rpm ones or high-capacity 6TB+ 7,200rpm drives. 

The level of taken and free capacity doesn't influence the drive's speed. What does is the level of fragmentation. I would recommend to check how fragmented is your drive and possibly perform a defragmentation operation. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Hi the model is  Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB

its 7,200 rpm
What do you recommend about my usb 3.0? i notice that my speed on 2.0 and 3.0 is the same. 
I will try to defrag my hdd and reply what is the result

20 hours ago, Ranz said:

~snip~

If you check the drive's spec sheet you may find that the read/write speed is listed around 150MB/s.
I'd try the drive on other systems and see if the result is confirmed, check the drive's health and possibly contact the manufacturer's support for more suggestions and opinions.

Captain_WD. 

Hi there i am done with the defragging my hard drive and it resulted to no errors and 100% healthy.
Where can i see the drive sheet? is it on the back of the drive?
I saw other photo of cdm result (the same model of mine.) and it is peaking at 199 mb/s 
yesterday mine was 137 mb/s now its 126 mb/s :o

i also cant figure  why i have the same speed in usb 2.0 and 3.0 port

31 minutes ago, Ranz said:

~snip~

The manufacturer's website should have all the info needed. :)

Their support should have more info on the drive and the common speeds that it should operate with. 

Do test the drive on other computers with USB3.0 and see if the results are the same. :)

Captain_WD.