Windows woes

MDK42

Hi all,

After 6 months of research I finally bought my system and built it. 

i7 6700k

ROG Gene Maximus VIII MATX 

32gb DDR4 2666mhz

1TB Samsung SSD

Now after 2 days of trying to install windows 7 I'm at a loss. 

I've tried all 3 methods outlined in the manual with no luck. I've even downloaded iso copies from the kinguin referral link and also from windows website. Still, I always get stuck at the same place, it says "Setup was unable to create a new system partition". Of course I've googled that and the answers on there for using XP to format the HDD or using command prompt through dos don't seem applicable.

I'm currently 5 hours into my marathon download for Windows 10, sitting at 44%.....

I don't know what else to do except take it to a computer shop, which is tantamount to accepting defeat and never learning how to do this on my own; or waiting for Windows 10 to finish downloading and praying that the USB works.

Just FYI, I'm using the Fractal Node 804 case with a slot load DVD drive, that is terrible because everytime I want to change the disc from Windows to Asus support CD I have to disassemble the ODD and remove the disc and put in the next disc.

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble. But hope is not lost. First update your BIOS. You should be able to do it through the ASUS Bios Flashback using a thumb drive and power connected to the board. You don't even need anything else connected to the board including a processor or ram. 

Once your bios is updated connect everything else up and make sure that you are able to POST into the UEFI Bios. Once there you should verify that your ram, processor, video card, and storage are all being detected correctly and reported by the Bios. 

If everything is ok there then go ahead and try to boot from your windows 10 thumb drive and install. Report back with how it goes. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

Thanks, but I'm still trying to get windows 7 ultimate installed, I paid good money for it years ago and I don't see why I should abandon it because of install issues. I'll try preparing a USB flash drive to update the bios but I'm not sure if it will accept USB 3.0 to flash or needs a USB 2.0?

1 hour ago, MDK42 said:

Hi all,

After 6 months of research I finally bought my system and built it. 

i7 6700k

ROG Gene Maximus VIII MATX 

32gb DDR4 2666mhz

1TB Samsung SSD

Now after 2 days of trying to install windows 7 I'm at a loss. 

I've tried all 3 methods outlined in the manual with no luck. I've even downloaded iso copies from the kinguin referral link and also from windows website. Still, I always get stuck at the same place, it says "Setup was unable to create a new system partition". Of course I've googled that and the answers on there for using XP to format the HDD or using command prompt through dos don't seem applicable.

I'm currently 5 hours into my marathon download for Windows 10, sitting at 44%.....

I don't know what else to do except take it to a computer shop, which is tantamount to accepting defeat and never learning how to do this on my own; or waiting for Windows 10 to finish downloading and praying that the USB works.

Just FYI, I'm using the Fractal Node 804 case with a slot load DVD drive, that is terrible because everytime I want to change the disc from Windows to Asus support CD I have to disassemble the ODD and remove the disc and put in the next disc.

you can't install windows 7 on Intel 6th gen processor, you will need to use windows 10.

The manual doesn't say. 

MY windows 10 download is now at 62%.

2 minutes ago, MDK42 said:

The manual doesn't say. 

MY windows 10 download is now at 62%.

Microsoft  announced that intel 6th gen processor will need windows 10

okay, and if I give up on this Windows 7 install, the manual doesn't say anything about installing Windows 10. Do I just pop in the DVD and boot to it and it will work? or Do I need to do it by copying the contents to a USB stick and going that way? 

2 minutes ago, MDK42 said:

okay, and if I give up on this Windows 7 install, the manual doesn't say anything about installing Windows 10. Do I just pop in the DVD and boot to it and it will work? or Do I need to do it by copying the contents to a USB stick and going that way? 

cd/usb of windows 10 would do. be sure to boot from it

okay, so Via Kingwin, I can just wait 10 hours to download the Windows 10 via the tool and enter the Kinguin key for about 30$. not as bad as buying a full retail copy but still this has been a huge disappointment all round.

1 hour ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Technically true, but Microsoft gave Windows 7/8 users until mid-2017 to update to Windows 10. In theory that would still mean that it's possible to install Win 7 on a 6th gen machine.

To be honest it doesn't seem a hardware problem at all, and more of an outdated ISO problem.

Obvious things to try/do:

- Use USB 2.0 when installing from USB drive (no-brainer, since, afaik, USB 3.0 needs drivers to work properly)

- Download a Win 7 Ultimate ISO from Microsoft (stay away from third parties, since you don't really know if the ISO was tampered with) and either burn it to a fresh disc OR make a bootable USB drive using the downloaded ISO

- Update motherboard BIOS/UEFI (although it shouldn't need updating since it's a fairly new board and win 7 compatibility should be there)

- make sure you don't have an actually DoA SSD (could happen) ~ plug the SSD into a working PC and format it there

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

The Bios Flashback port will be a USB2 port and will be labeled as being for Bios Flashback on the IO shield and in your manual. It is the only port that will work for bios flashback. 

it is best to do with a USB 2.0 drive but if you don't have one your usb 3 thumbdrive should work fine. 

Once bios is updated then go ahead and try to do your windows 10 install. 

BEFORE you buy a kinguin key, try using your windows 7 key at windows 10 install. It is quite possible that it will accept the windows 7 key and just upgrade the license (various sources say it is possible to do a clean install of windows 10 with a valid windows 7 license). It's worth a try...if it doesn't work then you can spend the $30 at kinguin. 

when you turn on the computer, go to the boot menu (normally F12) you will see two entries for the usb. 1 has "UEFI:" at the start, use the OTHER one.

Then, do a custom install during installation, and delete all the partitions on the drive, you'll be left with unallocated space, then just highlight the drive and click next, windows will worry about making the partitions.

On 3/30/2016 at 3:19 AM, Yongtjunkit said:

On 3/30/2016 at 5:13 AM, revsilverspine said:

Technically true, but Microsoft gave Windows 7/8 users until mid-2017 to update to Windows 10. In theory that would still mean that it's possible to install Win 7 on a 6th gen machine.

I think you guys are conflating two different things: Windows 7 requires workarounds to install on a Skylake machine because it lacks certain USB drivers. ASRock apparently has a utility that should fix it, but I don't know if it works with boards from other vendors. I also don't know if the OP's problem is related to this particular problem.

Unrelated to that, Microsoft announced that Skylake systems would stop receiving any but the most critical security updates when running Windows 7/8/8.1, and then later relaxed the policy slightly. As far as Microsoft is concerned you can install older Windows versions on a Skylake system just fine, even after the 18 month grace period, they just don't want to support it once you do.

@MDK42 - How goes the battle? Any luck? Still here to help if you need it!

Okay, so as a final update, I bought an OEM license for Windows 10 and poof! worked without any interaction. I suspect this is a case of engineered obsolescence, but on the other hand, I really enjoy Windows 10 more than 7. It's got a bunch of new easy to find and view stats on computer hardware and I find the other menus are easy to use too. 

Also, my computer was having VSYNC issues with my monitor and TV for years but now with Windows 10 its perfect! Furthermore, the resolution being detected as native on my TV is now correct at 1920x1080; before it was some weird resolution I had to manually adjust the borders of the screen to fit with.

Thanks for your help everyone! 

2 hours ago, MDK42 said:

Okay, so as a final update, I bought an OEM license for Windows 10 and poof! worked without any interaction. I suspect this is a case of engineered obsolescence, but on the other hand, I really enjoy Windows 10 more than 7. It's got a bunch of new easy to find and view stats on computer hardware and I find the other menus are easy to use too. 

Also, my computer was having VSYNC issues with my monitor and TV for years but now with Windows 10 its perfect! Furthermore, the resolution being detected as native on my TV is now correct at 1920x1080; before it was some weird resolution I had to manually adjust the borders of the screen to fit with.

Thanks for your help everyone! 

Glad you got it all worked out! Enjoy your new machine :)