Setting up website hosted at home

Hello all,

In the past I setup a website on my server(actual rack server) for the heck of it/for a school project. It's almost been over a year since so I've forgotten a lot about Microsoft server 2008 and using a domain. I'm currently trying to test my website so that I can confirm that it works so I can use it for other things. ATM though, when I try to access the website from the server, if I put in my domain under host name, the website does not pull up on the server. However, if I leave the host-name blank, the test website pulls up. I have also tried accessing the website from other computers(yes I have port forwarded) but a blank page just pops up. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I sure don't remember having this big of a issue when I first setup a website. 

Thanks. 

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

2 minutes ago, JaredM54 said:

You have the domain records pointing to your home IP, right? If you're using IIS try using something simpler like WAMP.

Yea, I have the domain pointing to my ip. I'm using godaddy to handle the domain. I assume godaddy knows to send it through port 80. 

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

well if you (or your browser) using the prefix http://host-name/ it will or you need to do host-name:80

The domain can be suffixed with any port

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

2 hours ago, mcraftax said:

well if you (or your browser) using the prefix http://host-name/ it will or you need to do host-name:80

The domain can be suffixed with any port

2 hours ago, JaredM54 said:

You have the domain records pointing to your home IP, right? If you're using IIS try using something simpler like WAMP.

Could it be that comcast is possibly blocking port 80?

42 minutes ago, JaredM54 said:

Yes there is a very good chance that Comcast is blocking ports. Try using a port scanner tool (just google port scan) and check. You can change the port of the web server if you want to, but if it's not 80 it'll need to be added at the end of the domain.

According to the online port scanner port 80 is closed. How would I go about changing the port on godaddy?

12 minutes ago, JaredM54 said:

You can't change the port that the domain uses, only the IP that it resolves to. So, if you use anything other than 80 then it will have to be tacked on the end, like example.com:8080. What are you using to host the website on the Windows Server?

Oh thats just great. I've had such a great experience with comcast all these years(not)...When I first made a website the port wasn't blocked. I'm just using the built in Web Server (IIS).

Tell me this. Why does my FTP server work locally when I leave hostname blank, but when I add in the hostname, it doesn't work.

7 hours ago, mkessler9 said:

Tell me this. Why does my FTP server work locally when I leave hostname blank, but when I add in the hostname, it doesn't work.

i depends how you have DNS setup for the subnet and the computer connecting

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

14 hours ago, mkessler9 said:

Oh thats just great. I've had such a great experience with comcast all these years(not)...When I first made a website the port wasn't blocked. I'm just using the built in Web Server (IIS).

Yeah, most home ISPs block port 80 because it's usually against the terms of service to run a web server on a home connection (They want to eat your money for the business connection). Oddly though, Verizon doesn't seem to care because port 80 is free for me (I have my NAS feeding a remote connect domain given by Microsoft).

15 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, most home ISPs block port 80 because it's usually against the terms of service to run a web server on a home connection (They want to eat your money for the business connection). Oddly though, Verizon doesn't seem to care because port 80 is free for me (I have my NAS feeding a remote connect domain given by Microsoft).

Yea, it sucks how its like that. Back in 2014 when I had a website running for a few months port 80 was open. Then they closed it abruptly. I don't know if the website triggered them to do that, or if their system was updated to not allow port 80 for regular customers in my area.