Lighting in 12V Molex

dialgarocksful

Is it safe to say that a certain molex plug (or power supply) is still good if my LED wire burned? I forgot to use an electrical tape while installing the lighting and the wires burned along the LED but did not reached the molex wire

I am currently using the PSU as I am doing this query

Spoiler

Just now, dialgarocksful said:

Is it safe to say that a certain molex plug (or power supply) is still good if my LED wire burned? I forgot to use an electrical tape while installing the lighting and the wires burned along the LED but did not reached the molex wire

I am currently using the PSU as I am doing this query

if it still supplies to correct voltages then it should be fine, make sure the molex wires don't have damage to them though. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

if it still supplies to correct voltages then it should be fine, make sure the molex wires don't have damage to them though. 

it didn't reached the molex. the burnout was only less than an inch. any particular software that gives psu voltage?

Spoiler

it didn't reached the molex. the burnout was only less than an inch. any particular software that gives psu voltage?

hwmonitor may show the voltages for the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails, but a handheld multimeter would be more accurate.

Power-Supply-Fundamentals,8-E-312638-13.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

4 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

hwmonitor may show the voltages for the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails, but a handheld multimeter would be more accurate

seems weird. +5V gives me a max of 3.387 and +12V 7.92

Spoiler

seems weird. +5V gives me a max of 3.387 and +12V 7.92

Yeah if you are using the software based readings they are usually not really reliable as measuring the voltages directly, and to test the molex you could try to plug a fan in or some other molex device in and see if it works.

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Yeah if you are using the software based readings they are usually not really reliable as measuring the voltages directly, and to test the molex you could try to plug a fan in or some other molex device in and see if it works.

tried connecting a fan, still works. so safe to say it's still fine?

Spoiler

tried connecting a fan, still works. so safe to say it's still fine?

Yeah it should be fine it then, just you probably don't want to use the leds again or they might burn again, or look for ones with less wattage.

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Yeah it should be fine it then, just you probably don't want to use the leds again or they might burn again, or look for ones with less wattage.

It's more on the cheap side of LED. 3-pack whites costs roughly $0.50. I just forgot to separate the 12V and the ground by using an electrical tape. I'll replace it by tomorrow

Spoiler