Overclocking a Non-K Sandy Bridge CPU?

Ok i recently bought a system used.

It has a i7 2600 on a MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming motherboard,i have heard that you can do some mild overclocking of a non-k cpu,but are limited due the the locked multiplier.

But i have never done it before,so i could use any advice and tips you guys can give me.

The system does have a hyper tx3 cooler,but this morning i traded my old cpu for a Corsair A70 air cooler,with the fans upgraded to 2 PWM fans that came off a H100.

If you need any more info please let me know.

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

If it's not a K series i7 you can't overclock, the only thing you could do is adjust the fsb but that will not be worth it as the increase in minimal and potentially unstable 

One thing not that many people know, on 2xxx and 3xxxx non-K cpus you can raise the multiplier 4 steps above the boost value (when using a Z series motherboard) and the BCLK is usually stable up untill roughly 105MHz. Because of this I managed to run my 3570 that has a boost clock of 3.8GHz at roughly 4.4GHz on my ASrock Z77 extreme 4 (combined with some decent cooling ofcourse).

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

1 minute ago, tomaatvk said:

One thing not that many people know, on 2xxx and 3xxxx non-K cpus you can raise the multiplier 4 steps above the boost value (when using a Z series motherboard) and the BCLK is usually stable up untill roughly 105MHz. Because of this I managed to run my 3570 that has a boost clock of 3.8GHz at roughly 4.4GHz on my ASrock Z77 extreme 4 (combined with some decent cooling ofcourse).

Do you think i could hit 3.8ghz or 4.0Ghz using a Corsair A70 cooler?

And you got any tips since i have never done it before?

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

3 minutes ago, trainergames said:

Do you think i could hit 3.8ghz or 4.0Ghz using a Corsair A70 cooler?

And you got any tips since i have never done it before?

I guess you could even hit 4.2GHz seeing as the tubro is 3.8GHz and 4 multiplier steps above that is 4.2GHz without even touching the BCLK. The Corsair A70 cooler also seems sufficient.

When it comes to overclocking, I would just go into the BIOS, set the CPU core or multiplier to manual and set the multiplier for all cores to something like 40 instead of the standard 38. Also, scroll down in the BIOS and search for the CPU voltage option and set it to offset instead of auto but keep the voltage on +0,000v.

After all this, boot into windows, run something like aida64 or prime95 (I prefer prime95) for half an hour or an hour. If it crashes, go back into the BIOS and increase the voltage with 0,010v and if it doesn't crash, increase the multiplier by 1 (so to 41 if it is at 40). Also keep an eye on your temperatures while running aida64 or prime95.

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

3 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

I guess you could even hit 4.2GHz seeing as the tubro is 3.8GHz and 4 multiplier steps above that is 4.2GHz without even touching the BCLK. The Corsair A70 cooler also seems sufficient.

When it comes to overclocking, I would just go into the BIOS, set the CPU core or multiplier to manual and set the multiplier for all cores to something like 40 instead of the standard 38. Also, scroll down in the BIOS and search for the CPU voltage option and set it to offset instead of auto but keep the voltage on +0,000v.

After all this, boot into windows, run something like aida64 or prime95 (I prefer prime95) for half an hour or an hour. If it crashes, go back into the BIOS and increase the voltage with 0,010v and if it doesn't crash, increase the multiplier by 1 (so to 41 if it is at 40). Also keep an eye on your temperatures while running aida64 or prime95.

Ok i will install the cooler soon and get started,i will post back here to let you know how it goes.

4 hours ago, tomaatvk said:

Ok i ran into to a little trouble installing the cooler because my case doesn't have a cpu cutout,but i got it in.

I then start messed around and decided to start at 3.9ghz,at first it was BSOD'ing at stock,and i tried to up the voltageby 0.010v but it would not take at first,so i just bumped it to 1.2v from the stock 1.156v.

I have running prime95 for 35 minutes now with no problems,the mosst it has hit is 59C on the hottest core lol,and that is with one of the fans running at a different speeds,the one plugged into the CPU fan header is running at 900RPM,the other fan is plugged into a system fam header and is running at 3000RPM lol. I will fix it soon lol.

Is this good? If so how much further should i push it?

4 hours ago, trainergames said:

Ok i ran into to a little trouble installing the cooler because my case doesn't have a cpu cutout,but i got it in.

I then start messed around and decided to start at 3.9ghz,at first it was BSOD'ing at stock,and i tried to up the voltageby 0.010v but it would not take at first,so i just bumped it to 1.2v from the stock 1.156v.

I have running prime95 for 35 minutes now with no problems,the mosst it has hit is 59C on the hottest core lol,and that is with one of the fans running at a different speeds,the one plugged into the CPU fan header is running at 900RPM,the other fan is plugged into a system fam header and is running at 3000RPM lol. I will fix it soon lol.

Is this good? If so how much further should i push it?

How far you should push it depends on how far you want to push it and on how far the chip wants to be pushed. I was able to run my 3770k on 4.3GHz before it needed any voltage above stock, at the stock turbo speed (3.9GHz) I was actually able to apply a downvolt of -0,15v.

If I were you I would just try and see how far you can go without going over a CPU temperature of 85°C in the prime95 small FFT test and keeping the voltage below 1.4 or 1.35 depending on how much you are worried about your chip (some people say that 1.4 is a high chip voltage but not in my opinion as I sometimes run my 3770k at 1.5v for overclocking runs).

• 8 years later...

Ok, newby question...I have an old dell with i7 2600 sandy bridge - I have gone thru options in the bios and there appears to be no way to overclock does anyone have any idea how it could be done. computer model is xps8300. Or alternatively a faster processor that will fit the existing socket?

5 hours ago, livinon2wheels said:

Ok, newby question...I have an old dell with i7 2600 sandy bridge - I have gone thru options in the bios and there appears to be no way to overclock does anyone have any idea how it could be done. computer model is xps8300. Or alternatively a faster processor that will fit the existing socket?

your bios will not support it in any way. 
And again, the issue with a faster processor is yes, the chipset/socket would support an i7 3770 which would be 5-10% faster, however, your bios will NOT support it.  

Dell is known for this lack of support, and were even worse about it back then. This is the most recent bios for your motherboard https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=r318123&oscode=w764&productcode=xps-8300