Motherboard + CPU Upgrade Suggestions

Hello!!  this is my first post here!

6 months ago i upgraded my Desktop PC with new GPU,SSD and DDR3 Ram.

And now i realise my CPU is starting to show it's age (i7 860) , so i figured out i need an upgrade!

Wich do you think would be a good combo CPU+Motherboard solution?

With my total budget of 350$ i think my best option(s) for CPU are : i5-4460, i5-4690, i5-6400, i5-6600 ??. I Dont know much about AMD CPU but you're welcome to suggest! (maybe fx 8350?)

I dont know anything about motherboards, but from what ive read here 6th gen CPU's are not very compitable with DDR3 and I dont want to buy new DDR4 RAM's, so should i better go with 4th generation?

What is the main difference between expensive motherboards? I mean, is it better to spent extra money on the CPU and buy the cheapest mobo possible?

I just want my pc to last for about 2, maybe 3 years, playing in medium settings the newest games, and maybe do a little bit of overclock!

Thank you for reading my post and im sorry for the lenght!

Full system specs:

CPU: Intel i7 860 2,8 GHz (stock cooler)
GPU: ATI Radeon R9 380 DD Black Edition 4GB DDR5
RAM: G.Skill  F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL (2x8GB)
Motherboard : MSI P55-GD65
Hard Disks : SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, HDD WD 1 TB WD10EAVS 
PSU: LC POWER 850W /SINGLE FAN
PC CASE: GMC R4 Bulldozer mid tower
Windows 10 64bit

310$

MSI Z97 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 MoBo

i5 4690K

Skylake CPU's are DDR4 so no go there... Do you have an aftermarket cooler? If not, Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo is a very good cheap cooler (usually 20-30$) you can do some overclocking on.

If you go cheap on MoBo's you usually start losing out on features like built in sound cards, built in wifi, slightly less quality components. That MSI mobo I picked should do you good though.

Motherboards are mostly about features so if I was you I'd just get a budget board.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K2mQf7 / http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K2mQf7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($221.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($87.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $369.85
 If you can't go over the $350 mark at all, swap the liquid cooler with that 212 EVO.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

Thank you for very fast answers! But does Does i5-4690K  worth it over the i5-4690 (Price difference here (Greece) is 30$) ?.

The i5-4690K include's stock cooler (or can ti work nicely for the moment)? because i cant afford good cpu cooler right now and Hyper evo 212 dosent fit my case (140mm max height).

Plus another silly question: does all ATX mobo have the same dimensions? , i ask cause i have mid tower 

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Eyriman said:

Thank you for very fast answers! But does Does i5-4690K  worth it over the i5-4690 (Price difference here (Greece) is 30$) ?.

The i5-4690K include's stock cooler (or can ti work nicely for the moment)? because i cant afford good cpu cooler right now and Hyper evo 212 dosent fit my case (140mm max height).

Plus another silly question: does all ATX mobo have the same dimensions? , i ask cause i have mid tower 

Thanks again!

Dunno about the prices in Greece but you should definitely consider a Xeon E3-1231 v3 and a H97 motherboard. It's basically an i7-4770 without iGPU.

1 hour ago, tataklee said:

Dunno about the prices in Greece but you should definitely consider a Xeon E3-1231 v3 and a H97 motherboard. It's basically an i7-4770 without iGPU.

Interesting choice... Xenon here its like 25$ more than i5 4690k but the mobo is 10$ cheaper so its the same.. Xenon has slower single core performance,and no overcklock capabilities (i think), but it hyper threading... Everyone seems to prefer xenon from i5 4690k... You think new games will support more cores, cause of direct 12? or hyper threading  matter that much ? im confused :/

Thanks