Worth upgrading?

Patrosoft

Hello,

This is my regular desktop computer and  I am wondering is there any upgrading I can do to extend the usefulness of the computer? I mostly use it for light room and some light gaming. Would an SSD do anything to improve it? How about the video card? Thanks in advance. 

Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM
Samsung SH-S222A/BEBE 22X Dual Layer DVD
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P ATX LGA775
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ Yorkfield 
2x Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800
NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800 GTX

An SSD will make everything stored on it snappy. A new gpu would help alot, as some games now, (even light ones) require a bit beefier than a 9800. Maybe a 650 or a 650 ti if you're on a tight budget. If you are on a budget, may you tell me?

2 minutes ago, Patrosoft said:

Hello,

This is my regular desktop computer and  I am wondering is there any upgrading I can do to extend the usefulness of the computer? I mostly use it for light room and some light gaming. Would an SSD do anything to improve it? How about the video card? Thanks in advance. 

Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM
Samsung SH-S222A/BEBE 22X Dual Layer DVD
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P ATX LGA775
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ Yorkfield 
2x Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800
NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800 GTX

Personally an SSD is the first thing I tell anyone to get if they don't already have one. Even just getting a 250GB SSD to put the OS and main programs on it drastically improves everything about your computer and makes everything snappy. OS Boot time, installing programs, moving files, etc. Just a really great upgrade for cheap as a Samsung EVO 250GB is only like $110 Canadian $ atm.

Yeah, you can definitely upgrade the CPU and GPU. Upgrading your CPU will probably result in you also getting a new motherboard and RAM. Adding an SSD will improve load times of your OS and applications.

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

Both an SSD and updated graphics card would improve it.

Could probably stand some more RAM too.

Anything else really would require a new motherboard.

An SSD would help and would be you best bang for bunk upgrade. (you would also be able to reuse it in your next pc).

but if I was in you shoes I would try and save up and build a new computer as you will notice a very big big improvement :)

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

If you don't want to change the motherboard (which I recommend doing) The best processor for it is the Core2Extreme X6800 which you can get for like 40 bucks.

If you dont game Add an SSD

if you game, add a GTX 750ti or an R7 360 to upgrade from your 9800

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

Thanks everyone for the quick and useful advise.

I don't really have a budget per say, just wanted to see what kind of things I can do to improve it without doing a brand new PC build. I am looking to do that in the summer to fall time frame. So right now is mostly pushing this PC to its limit. 

I think I will take your suggestions and buy an SSD. Was looking at the ADATA SP550 240GB 2.5" SATA3 Smi SM2256 Solid State Drive as it is only 77.99 CAD.  Or is it better to get a Samsung EVO 250? 

I will also look at those CPU and GPU suggestions.

Thanks! 

If you still feel your computer gets the job done for you , i would wait for pascal/polaris cards to come out in june . Kaby lake and zen are scheduled for the end of the year also.

But in my opinion an ssd is always a great upgrade.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case