Camera security system

My dad put me in-charge of buying a camera security system and I totally know nothing about them so can someone tell me what I need to look in a security system what specs do I need?

Any help appreciated

Just now, psycoUSA said:

My dad put me in-charge of buying a camera security system and I totally know nothing about them so can someone tell me what I need to look in a security system what specs do I need?

Any help appreciated

whats is watching? is it a house? a business? how many places need to be watched? how many cameras are needed?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

4 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

whats is watching? is it a house? a business? how many places need to be watched? how many cameras are needed?

It's a hose and we need +4 cameras

4 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Budget?

Home or Business?

Footage quality [420, 720, 1080, Full HD]?

Color or B&W?

How much storage is needed - as in how far back does the recording need to be kept? 3, 6, 9 or 12 months?

Continuous or Motion detection recording?

Is night detection required?

Onsite, remote access or both?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, psycoUSA said:

It's a hose and we need +4 cameras

You have many options depending on budget.

This will get you started. Please be aware that price is an easy way to determine quality with these systems. Cheaper the price the cheaper the system.

I strongly suggest researching as much as possible before buying to make sure it suits your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Security-Weatherproof-Cameras-Transmit/dp/B00PMEG8YQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=security-surveillance&ie=UTF8&qid=1459042254&sr=1-3

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Budget?

Home or Business?

Footage quality [420, 720, 1080, Full HD]?

Color or B&W?

How much storage is needed - as in how far back does the recording need to be kept? 3, 6, 9 or 12 months?

Continuous or Motion detection recording?

Is night detection required?

Onsite, remote access or both?

I'm not looking for a specific system I want you guys to advice me in what do I need in a system 

Btw budget is endless ;)

12 minutes ago, psycoUSA said:

I'm not looking for a specific system I want you guys to advice me in what do I need in a system 

Btw budget is endless ;)

Good things to stick with;

1) 1080p or better for quality.

2) Cameras with Mechanical zoom are better than software zoom.

3) A good quality DVR with enough storage capacity for a minimum of 1 week of continuous recording (I personally recommend about a month minimum).

4) Always use continuous recording instead of Motion activated recording. (uses more storage space but motion has a tendency to miss the importantstuf)

5) Cameras with an IR (infrared) function is always strongly recommended.

6) Color cameras are better, they pick up more recognizable detail.

7) Do not use 180 degree cameras they tend to distort the picture, stay with cameras that max at 135 degree view.

There are more to look for but this is best of the basics to stick with.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Good things to stick with;

1) 1080p or better for quality.

2) Cameras with Mechanical zoom are better than software zoom.

3) A good quality DVR with enough storage capacity for a minimum of 1 week of continuous recording (I personally recommend about a month minimum).

4) Always use continuous recording instead of Motion activated recording. (uses more storage space but motion has a tendency to miss the importantstuf)

5) Cameras with an IR (infrared) function is always strongly recommended.

6) Color cameras are better, they pick up more recognizable detail.

7) Do not use 180 degree cameras they tend to distort the picture, stay with cameras that max at 135 degree view.

There are more to look for but this is best of the basics to stick with.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate that