My "Because Why Not" Build Idea

So after spending a fair amount of time pondering an upgrade (though I don't need it) and after watching the gaming server builds by Linus I had the idea to build a gaming server on the cheap (Since I already have a motherboard, 2 Xeon CPUs and 24GB ram) and was wondering what (if any) limitations are standing in my way of making this a thing. My current concerns are about the available power for a full sized newer GPU in the case with the other modules I would like to add (I have a raid card and dual 1Gig NIC) and if I could clock up the 2 CPUs to match a gaming rig. (The last one probably isn't going to happen unless it's easy and 'somewhat' safe for the components)

Server Components: (http://imgur.com/a/PZXia)

Intel Server Board S5520UR

Intel Xeon E5520

Intel Dual 1GB NIC (2 available)

8GB ECC Memory (4 x 2GB) DDR3
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
OCZ Vertex 460 120GB SSD
Intel 730 480GB SSD x2

Seagate 2TB x2

ASUS RAIDR 240GB (I don't expect this to work in the server but was wondering if it was supported)

Ideally I would like to give this thing the punch of a PC with a powerful single GPU (So I don't need to worry about SLI support) 

If any pics are needed of the hardware or any questions about what other expansion modules are in the server (Like an added RMM3 module and the included SATA docking bays) let me know.. I'm a man with a camera phone that can pass em along. :) 

Why do you want a gpu in a server? Do you have 2 gig internet that would give the NIC use? why so much storage if its just hosting games? or did i just misread 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

On 3/27/2016 at 9:18 PM, RedWulf said:

Why do you want a gpu in a server? Do you have 2 gig internet that would give the NIC use? why so much storage if its just hosting games? or did i just misread 

So in short.. I have a free server and a good reason to sell my gaming pc while it's still worth something.. My idea is to take what I have and add the one thing I'm missing, a GPU. Then I can use the server components for some desktop use. 

I say some desktop use because I want to virtualize the system and make it run a server for game hosting and remote access 24/7. The desktop will be a vm that I can turn up when I want to play games or browse the Internet. 

3 minutes ago, wabniky said:

So in short.. I have a free server and a good reason to sell my gaming pc while it's still worth something.. My idea is to take what I have and add the one thing I'm missing, a GPU. Then I can use the server components for some desktop use. 

I say some desktop use because I want to virtualize the system and make it run a server for game hosting and remote access 24/7. The desktop will be a vm that I can turn up when I want to play games or browse the Internet. 

Ah, well then I say crack up the clock but add a cooler. Remember, games can't use two cpus so you might want to do some digging on how to control how resources are divided up with the vm and how to control it. Does your internet support gig speeds other wide that nic might be wasted. 

Are you going for a work station card or a gaming card? 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

On 3/28/2016 at 9:51 PM, RedWulf said:

Ah, well then I say crack up the clock but add a cooler. Remember, games can't use two cpus so you might want to do some digging on how to control how resources are divided up with the vm and how to control it. Does your internet support gig speeds other wide that nic might be wasted. 

Are you going for a work station card or a gaming card? 

wrote a reply to this the other day but phone died on me...

I thought I read somewhere that recently Intel or someone made it so that you can use all processors together when gaming. I could be wrong.

The other thing is that the dual gig nic idea is trashed for the moment since I won't have space on my riser card if I use any new graphics card. (I plan to use a 980Ti if possible) The other reason to kill the idea of the aditional ports is that the motherboard has 2 gig nics integrated to the board. Reason to use these is that I have an Nvidia Shield TV and want to stream games to it. (Also possibility to implement plex or other media services for my family.

The issue with the graphics card is that I don't have an extra 6 and 8 pin connector off of the included redundant 750w psu. So either going to scratch the idea of redundancy and come up with a sff solution that can do what I need it to. Unfortunately it won't save me from a power failure or from a long uptime (since I plan to rarely shut down the machine) so ideally I would like to keep the redundant solution. (I have 2 spare units too) 

I have a seperate topic opened for the PSU question here