My fun night messing with computers

-If this doesn't belong in this subforum, go ahead and move it.-

My dad has been asking me for awhile to figure out what's wrong with this old Intel board I have that has a Core 2 Duo E8400 and 3GB of RAM. It was throwing beep codes last time I messed with it so I figured I'd try again. So I got everything setup on a mobo box, went to boot and no display or power to peripherals. I unplugged everything except the board, and one stick of ram. Same thing, except there weren't any beep codes. I tried again with some old 9400GT I have to see if onboard display was bad, same thing. So I pulled all the ram and tried again, everything turned on and still no beep codes. I'm presuming the mobo is dead.

Anyways, I have another LGA 775 mobo in a case with everything hooked up ready to go, except it was missing a CPU. So I checked and it said it was compatible with C2Ds so I swapped it over from my dead board to that one. Got everything in and ready to go. Hit the power button, sat back and let it start to boot, then I smell something burning. I look around then back at the case and lone behold a chip on the motherboard is glowing red. Powered everything down and I'm not even gonna touch that now. So yeah, what a fun and eventful night for me.

One thing I am curious about though, would that E8400 in the mobo that caught on fire be dead too?

Spoiler

Computer: I7-8700 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Z370 HD3 | XFX RX Vega 64 | LPX 16GB 3000mhz | 250GB 850 Evo | 3TB Hitachi HDD | Mobo Box Case (for now) | EVGA 1300w G2

Monitors: MSI Optix G24C 144hz | LG 24" 1080p 

Mouse & Keyboard: Logitech G403 & G413 Carbon

Audio: Fostex T50RP Mk3 | Micca Origen+

that's my rig xD

I5 4460 | Sapphire RX480 Nitro | MSI H81M-E34 | 8 GB | Fractal Design Core 2500 | Silverstone SST-ST50F-PB | Monitor 27-inch EW2750 | Roccat SKELTR+ (giveaway from linus)

My six year old (second rig):

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 | GPU: 1024MB NVIDIA GT 730 under-powered gigabyte GeForce 9800 GT (Gigabyte OP Silent cell stuff) | 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz | MOBO: Intel DP43TF |