Underclocking 4770K

Korindo

Hey guys,

Where i am in cairns its heating up quite badly,

(And the ambient temp from my PC is making life miserable for me)

At the moment my 4770K is on the standard clock from the box, and im just curious as to if there is any special process to under clock it (hopefully to reduce its temperature). All I'm really doing on my PC atm is playing games since I have no projects to work on at the moment. Any ideas as to how i could reduce it to really try to cut the temperature right down.

Thanks guys

And please note: im not fimilar with overclocking, i was going to but with the temp rising at the moment so i want to go the other way.

Edited by Korindo

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

Set the voltage from stock to a set voltage would do that, and it is possible however I'm not familiar with how much you have to set it to.

I suppose you do have to do that part on your own, but yes it is possible.

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

Ill give that a try, lately during the day my room temps have been sitting at about 40 degrees because of the computer, the rest of my house is fine and i know its the PC since when i turn it off and give it 30min then the temps come right down to liveable.

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

Maybe it's worth investing in a small evaporative cooler for the room might be of benefit? 

the power bill every year is the bane of my existence. :P i was made for the cold but my partner loves the heat

~~Korindo~~

Set the voltage from stock to a set voltage would do that, and it is possible however I'm not familiar with how much you have to set it to.

I suppose you do have to do that part on your own, but yes it is possible.

Try keep the stock clock and bump down the voltage. That should help with temps. Otherwise it's a pretty similar process to overclocking, except instead of bumping up voltage and multipliers you go down :)

So good news, i lowered both my clock (very slightly) and my voltage on the CPU. and im now at 40 degrees on my normal load rather then the 70... My CPU now maxes at 70 when under 100% load from prime 95 and a game running. My clock speed is now 3.3ghz which is still enough for me compared to the 3.5ghz. when cairns cools down again ill be able to increase the clock again.

Thanks Marto and zip2k4.

~~Korindo~~

undervolt your cpu 

ive got my 4770k at 4.2ghz at 1.18v and the stock voltage was 1.25v 

so i undervolted it and it runs cooler

they are great chips but the stock voltage is way too high

so undervolt it and stress test it for stability 

Did u say u are using the a stock fan and heatsink?I would definitely invest in an all in one cooler since heat is a definite problem.

a 4770k with a 39 multiplier should be able to carry a 0.975-1.025vCORE which dropped

my loaded temps from 69° to 55° with a 29° ambient and Tt Xtreme 2.0 silent fans.

so it is doable to lower the stock clock temperatures just with lowering the voltages

and being stable to be comfortable with.

airdeano

Did u say u are using the a stock fan and heatsink?I would definitely invest in an all in one cooler since heat is a definite problem.

i did in another post.... a while ago... i've since had my warranty issue with noctua sorted out and am now using a NH-L12 listed in my siggy. 

~~Korindo~~