CPU Cooler

HD_M4N1CZ

What is the best CPU Air Cooler on the Market right now?

212 evo

Just now, HD_M4N1CZ said:

Is this compatible with an AM3+ Set?

Yes it is compatible.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3600+ | Asus M2N68-AM SE2 | 3gb ddr2 | Orion 600w | Sapphire HD5570

10 minutes ago, HD_M4N1CZ said:

What is the best CPU Air Cooler on the Market right now?

What will you be using it for? Overclocking at all? If so, how much are you gunning for? How tall of a heatsink can your case handle? Do you want quiet, or high performance? What's your price range?

The answer is a little more complex than just parroting off "212 evo". I mean, if we want to get technical, the best air cooler on the market is probably either the NH-D15, the Dark Rock Pro 3 or the R1 Ultimate, but not everyone needs a heatsink with enough thrust to get a 737 off the ground.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

What will you be using it for? Overclocking at all? If so, how much are you gunning for? How tall of a heatsink can your case handle? Do you want quiet, or high performance? What's your price range?

The answer is a little more complex than just parroting off "212 evo".

The 212 evo is the jack of all trades. If he doesn't give details 212 evo is your best bet. the dark rock 3 is good too tho.

What's your budget and CPU you're using? Cause the 212 is far from the best, best value maybe but not best.

Just now, aisle9 said:

The answer is a little more complex than just parroting off "212 evo".

I have an AMD FX8350 And no, But I want to expand in the future into a more higher range of CPU's, so I need something that is really good and supports what I have now so I don't have to pay out every time I get a new part, and Overclocking is something yes

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Joe_90 said:

The 212 evo is the jack of all trades. If he doesn't give details 212 evo is your best bet. the dark rock 3 is good too tho.

If he doesn't give details, logic dictates that one should ask for them before answering the question. How'd you like to be the jackass that made a guy go to Newegg and buy a 212 EVO for his mini ITX build?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, HD_M4N1CZ said:

I have an AMD FX8350 And no, But I want to expand in the future into a more higher range of CPU's, so I need something that is really good and supports what I have now so I don't have to pay out every time I get a new part, and Overclocking is something yes

212 EVO is NOT happening if you're overclocking an 8350. What type of case do you have?

@Bobby_Joe_90 this is why you ask questions.

My case is a Zalman Z3 Plus, I have low profile RAM and have enough clearance for pretty much any air cooling unit

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

If he doesn't give details, logic dictates that one should ask for them before answering the question. How'd you like to be the jackass that made a guy go to Newegg buy and a 212 EVO for his mini ITX build?

I think if this guy built a PC in a mini-itx case maybe he would know something about the dimensions of his build. I mean come on if it was mini-itx he probably would have specified. 

6 minutes ago, HD_M4N1CZ said:

My case is a Zalman Z3 Plus, I have low profile RAM and have enough clearance for pretty much any air cooling unit

What's your budget like? I'm still trying to find the max supported CPU cooler height. I've seen 165mm in a forum post, but it seemed like that was more guesswork than an OEM figure.

Well, I'm from the UK, so anything under £100 I guess? I think that's like $140

2 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

You're right he should have but there is no need to be so rude and self righteous.

Fair enough, I was a bit of a dick. Two-word answers to hugely open-ended questions like that end up being wastes of time more often than not, so I get mildly irritated when I see them.

19 minutes ago, Bobby_Joe_90 said:

212 evo

Mate, that's far from the 'best air cooler on the market'.

Best cooler would have to be the Noctua NH-D15. You can go one step further and fit some Noctua Industrial fans onto it.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, aisle9 said:

Fair enough, I was a bit of a dick. Two-word answers to hugely open-ended questions like that end up being wastes of time more often than not, so I get mildly irritated when I see them.

Thanks for responding positively, I feel people are more likely to listen if you're nice :)

7 minutes ago, HD_M4N1CZ said:

Well, I'm from the UK, so anything under £100 I guess? I think that's like $140

I've seen two figures on CPU clearance for your case. The first is 150mm. If that is the case, no air cooler capable of keeping up with an overclocked 8350 is going to happen. On the plus side, $140 (you're right on the conversion) can get you a pretty solid AIO, and that's probably the direction you'd want to look in. You might also consider returning the case and getting a wider one if 150mm is correct.

I've also seen 165mm. If that's the case, I'd buy myself a Noctua NH-D14 and call it a day.

@aisle9My current AIO is great, and runs fine, But I can't afford to replace things that get damaged and honestly I have the worst luck with water based things, like, you wont believe how many times I've have a bottle of water split on me and stuff, I really want to go in the direction of Air cooling.

@jcw150 I couldn't upgrade to that due to my hardware and due to the ammount of it, my case is fine as it is, it actually is a Tardis inside, looks small, but is actually pretty big, and I have LED's, don't need more than that personally

@aisle9My current AIO is great, and runs fine, But I can't afford to replace things that get damaged and honestly I have the worst luck with water based things, like, you wont believe how many times I've have a bottle of water split on me and stuff, I really want to go in the direction of Air cooling.

@jcw150 I couldn't upgrade to that due to my hardware and due to the ammount of it, my case is fine as it is, it actually is a Tardis inside, looks small, but is actually pretty big, and I have LED's, don't need more than that personally

So why do you want to get an air cooler then?

Just now, jcw150 said:

So why do you want to get an air cooler then?

As I said, I don't trust the AIO's, I know the likely hood of them leaking is extremely low, but I personally don't want to risk it, I didn't really know much about PC's when I first built this system, so I'm basically redoing everything as time goes, and I've had this cooler for about 2 years now so I think I need to change it regardless

As I said, I don't trust the AIO's, I know the likely hood of them leaking is extremely low, but I personally don't want to risk it, I didn't really know much about PC's when I first built this system, so I'm basically redoing everything as time goes, and I've had this cooler for about 2 years now so I think I need to change it regardless

Ok I think that's kinda silly but fair enough, could you measure from your motherboard to the side of the case? (don't use anything metal and turn your PC off)

19 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Best cooler would have to be the Noctua NH-D15. You can go one step further and fit some Noctua Industrial fans onto it.

Space is pretty cold, and if you leave those Industrial fans on full blast for long enough, that's where the case will end up! xD I like your style!

7 minutes ago, HD_M4N1CZ said:

I'd shoot an email off to Zalman and ask what the exact cooler height of that case is before buying anything. For what it's worth, the odds of an AIO leaking on you are pretty low if you buy a decent cooler from a reputable company. If your case really only supports 150mm coolers, I just don't think you'll find any air coolers out there capable of giving you much of an OC on your 8350 at all. The best sub-150mm air cooler, IMO, is the Cryorig H7, which is imo just a hair better than the 212 EVO. Temperatures are just about identical, but the H7 is smaller, looks better (again, imo) and runs quieter.