Busted 2204 or bearing?

Hackentosher

Hey guys, quadcopters hate me :D Just finished soldering and programming my new Naze after I fucked up the last one, and I think I have another dead motor!!! But I'm not sure, it might be a busted bearing. Basically this specific motor is very resistant to spin by hand, and it clearly isn't spinning as fast as when I try to fly, any amount of power above idle will send the thing flipping over. Now I'm having trouble putting into words how this thing is going over, but I assure you it's because this motor isn't spinning at the same speed as its friends. Anyway, does anyone know if I'm out another $20 for another Cobra 2204, or can I replace the bearings and be hunkie dory? 

ASU

Not spinning as fast as it should is just an electromagnetic effect, the fets in the escs store some charge and that makes the motors not spin as effectively as it would be when it's discharged completely. Are you sure you've got the rotation direction correct, with my quad from the top left is clockwise, top right is counter, bottom left is counter and bottom right is clockwise. Make sure you've got the correct props on too in the correct positon. If its flipping too make sure that you've calibrated the accelerometers correctly not sure how this is done as I have the cc3d flight controller. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

It worked fine before I had to get a new flight controller, but the motor in question is REALLY resistive and doesn't spin freely like the rest of them.

ASU

8 minutes ago, werto165 said:

Not spinning as fast as it should is just an electromagnetic effect, the fets in the escs store some charge and that makes the motors not spin as effectively as it would be when it's discharged completely. Are you sure you've got the rotation direction correct, with my quad from the top left is clockwise, top right is counter, bottom left is counter and bottom right is clockwise. Make sure you've got the correct props on too in the correct positon. If its flipping too make sure that you've calibrated the accelerometers correctly not sure how this is done as I have the cc3d flight controller. 

Whoops, forgot to quote you.

ASU

9 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

It worked fine before I had to get a new flight controller, but the motor in question is REALLY resistive and doesn't spin freely like the rest of them.

Hmm, I'm not sure then. I've had some pretty major crashes, flew it into a God damn tree full speed and the motor was fine afterwards perhaps I just got lucky? Usually you can take the bell (the out runner part with the magnets, no idea if that's the proper name but anyway.) off. It's usually pretty damn small I had to go to a local engineering shop and it was pretty much the smallest bit they had. M1.5 (could be wrong about that). Perhaps the shaft is slightly bent? It's not making any grinding noises ie the rotor magnets are not grinding up against the stator coils. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

24 minutes ago, werto165 said:

Yeah, it's called the bell. About the crashes, I've been using those DAL props that are tough as hell. With those crashes, I bet that it got damaged when it tried to spin the prop against the ground instead of just breaking the blades off :/ 

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Yeah, it's called the bell. About the crashes, I've been using those DAL props that are tough as hell. With those crashes, I bet that it got damaged when it tried to spin the prop against the ground instead of just breaking the blades off :/ 

Yeah... I have diatone props which are see through props they break pretty easily so I guess that's why there hasn't been issues with my motors getting damaged. Are you sure it's not software or the config related? Have you soldered Bullet connectors such that you can switch the motors around that would definitely tell you whether it's software related. When you say really hard to turn are we talking like super hard? 

2 minutes ago, werto165 said:

Yeah... I have diatone props which are see through props they break pretty easily so I guess that's why there hasn't been issues with my motors getting damaged. Are you sure it's not software or the config related? Have you soldered Bullet connectors such that you can switch the motors around that would definitely tell you whether it's software related. When you say really hard to turn are we talking like super hard? 

I soldered my motors directly to the ESC because I don't have space for wires on my Armattan frame. Also by turn, I mean take off. Like anything above idle throttle would just send it over.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

I soldered my motors directly to the ESC because I don't have space for wires on my Armattan frame.

Don't know what to tell you it seems like it would be a lot easier to go out and buy another motor than replacing the bearing unless you've got the tools. As I was saying the screw bits are usually pretty hard to find. 

1 minute ago, werto165 said:

Don't know what to tell you it seems like it would be a lot easier to go out and buy another motor than replacing the bearing unless you've got the tools. As I was saying the screw bits are usually pretty hard to find. 

Yeah I think that's what I have to do. The other three will spin freely when I give them a little flick, this one doesn't even go a 1/4 turn around when I stop turning it. Ugh, another motor bites the dust. These $20 lessons are adding up!

ASU