Gabe Newell at LinuxCon

Blingy

Embed fix: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/54224-youtube-embed-fix/

Don't think this is the right place for it, should be in off-topic

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Embed fix: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/54224-youtube-embed-fix/

Hey, i am in it :)

Why, he's talking about a lot of interesting stuff, he also announced to demonstrate their Linux gaming vision for next week.

As much as I love Steam, Gabe and Valve, that whole presentation sounded like Gabe was jerking off the Linux community.

Proprietary, closed platforms were emerging (control market access, content, pricing,...)

That description fits Steam almost perfectly. Steam is by no means "open" or "free" (as in freedom), yet Gabe is standing there talking about how bad other platforms are. "Open graphics" that beat out proprietary hardware isn't "open" either. The hardware is protected by a ton of patents, the documentation is very secret (which is why we don't have any good emulators), the drivers are proprietary and so on.

Gabe I like you but come on, don't be a massive hypocrite or distort the truth. This is just a bad attempt to make GNU/Linux users like Valve and hopefully make them buy stuff from them. Gabe started liking GNU/Linux when Microsoft announced that they were launching their own store (where developers can sell games) so of course you'll be mad. Don't distort the truth in hatred though.

Prediction: Linux Gaming won't make it.

Reasoning: I've followed Linux ever since the first time I heard of it during university in 2000.  I even played Unreal Tournament on it which had a Linux client.  This was one of the top games at the time, so this isn't a case of playing Linux games that are crappy or Windows 3.1'y.  Other games around that time included Tribes 2 and Quake series.

So, even back then, Linux never became popular... even with the top games of its day.  Historically speaking, Linux *NEVER* catches on, no matter how much more superior it is supposed to be to all other operating systems.

I will go even one further: if Ubuntu somehow came with an AMD-style "Never Settle" bundle, whereby you can install Ubuntu and redeem TEN (10) FREE AAA TITLES, even including GTA V Linux port, Linux would STILL not become popular.  There is nothing that will make it popular, not even with the might of Valve behind it.

I will close by saying that it is not my desire to see Linux fail, it is my assessment that Linux will never become popular.  Linux was never popular before, and it will never be popular in the future either.  Even if Linux starts gaining ground, maybe even one day breaking the 25% install base, Windows can do a ton of things to crush that, including Microsoft releasing their own Unix-like free software solution, and/or offering Windows at an extremely competitive price.

Or you can use both system - windows for this and that - linux for gaming.

I dont know why linux would not be compelling to public. Its free, if there were games made for it, people would use it. Also programs, but thats secondary and depends on person. As a gaming platform, i say YES.

Or you can use both system - windows for this and that - linux for gaming.

I dont know why linux would not be compelling to public. Its free, if there were games made for it, people would use it. Also programs, but thats secondary and depends on person. As a gaming platform, i say YES.

For those reasons, and many more, Linux should have been popular more than a decade ago.  It just hasn't happened, and won't happen.

For those reasons, and many more, Linux should have been popular more than a decade ago.  It just hasn't happened, and won't happen.

It has developed a lot since