Hackintosh question

Just a quick question that I can't seem to find anywhere on google. I currently have myself a cheap hackintosh (Dual core celeron, 4gb ram, 8800gt) and I would like to update it to el captain since i'm all the way back on mountain lion since it worked so good for me the first time. My question is can I just upgrade through the app store and if so do i have to edit some config files or something? sorry i'm only a week into hackintosh so still pretty blurry to me. Thanks

CPU¤Core i5 5675c ¤Cooler¤Ghetto water loop(Cheap tubing & block from amazon)¤GPU1¤Sapphire R9 290x Tri-x¤MOBO¤Asrock H97m Anniversary ¤RAM¤8GB DDR3 1866Mhz¤Storage¤2Tb SSHD & 320Gb HDD¤Case¤Cougar Spike Mini ITX case¤PowerSupply¤500w EVGA 80 plus¤

Assuming that mountain lion is working fine, you *should* be able to straight upgrade, but Hackintoshes are notorious for being unpredictable. You shouldn't have to edit any files so long you are running a standard version and not a modified version.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Just now, FAQBytes said:

Assuming that mountain lion is working fine, you *should* be able to straight upgrade, but Hackintoshes are notorious for being unpredictable. You shouldn't have to edit any files so long you are running a standard version and not a modified version.

i'm on niresh so i'm guessing that counts as a modified firmware? I guess I could just try the update and if it doesn't work just do a fresh install of el capitan  

CPU¤Core i5 5675c ¤Cooler¤Ghetto water loop(Cheap tubing & block from amazon)¤GPU1¤Sapphire R9 290x Tri-x¤MOBO¤Asrock H97m Anniversary ¤RAM¤8GB DDR3 1866Mhz¤Storage¤2Tb SSHD & 320Gb HDD¤Case¤Cougar Spike Mini ITX case¤PowerSupply¤500w EVGA 80 plus¤

2 hours ago, Matriox said:

i'm on niresh so i'm guessing that counts as a modified firmware? I guess I could just try the update and if it doesn't work just do a fresh install of el capitan  

Always do a backup if you can. Take a look at Clover, see if that would be the solution if you have any issues.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

This is slightly different, but should be quite similar.

19 minutes ago, Matriox said:

Just a quick question that I can't seem to find anywhere on google. I currently have myself a cheap hackintosh (Dual core celeron, 4gb ram, 8800gt) and I would like to update it to el captain since i'm all the way back on mountain lion since it worked so good for me the first time. My question is can I just upgrade through the app store and if so do i have to edit some config files or something? sorry i'm only a week into hackintosh so still pretty blurry to me. Thanks

no im 90% sure u cannot update through the app store. I used to have one on mavericks a year ago it was so annoying to update.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

You can and it always worked for me just going through the appstore, but Tonymacx86 recommends remaking your unibeast drive with the desired OS and installing again. This guide should probably do it http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/172672-unibeast-install-os-x-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html 

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

You can and it always worked for me just going through the appstore, but Tonymacx86 recommends remaking your unibeast drive with the desired OS and installing again. This guide should probably do it http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/172672-unibeast-install-os-x-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html 

4 minutes ago, rtpb5642 said:

no im 90% sure u cannot update through the app store. I used to have one on mavericks a year ago it was so annoying to update.

13 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

This is slightly different, but should be quite similar.

Yeah i'll try to update first but i'll make sure I have a working El Capitan boot drive. Thanks guys

Just now, Matriox said:

Yeah i'll try to update first but i'll make sure I have a working El Capitan boot drive. Thanks guys

Always a good idea to make a back up of everything before you try something new.

ASU

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Always a good idea to make a back up of everything before you try something new.

Don't really have too much stuff to back up.. I just did ALOT of plist editing so my hackintosh would look like a mac pro lol only if it had 10 more cores. That's the only stuff I don't wanna go through again 

32 minutes ago, Matriox said:

Maybe if the update does not work, back up important files and just do a clean install,

also maybe you need to change your profile image it is pretty absurd just saying.