Security server

I recently have bought some Ip cameras with an ftp upload option . now i know i need an ftp server to upload the video to. i need to figure out how to do this but also these cameras will be at my sisters house and the computer at mine basically i want the extra computer i have to be offsite storage in case there computer got stolen in the break in so i always have footage of the theft. any ideas on how i can set this up? 

45 minutes ago, Aaronfunky said:

I recently have bought some Ip cameras with an ftp upload option . now i know i need an ftp server to upload the video to. i need to figure out how to do this but also these cameras will be at my sisters house and the computer at mine basically i want the extra computer i have to be offsite storage in case there computer got stolen in the break in so i always have footage of the theft. any ideas on how i can set this up? 

Relying on IP camera internal software is not a good idea.

What you need to do is eit her get a dedicated NVR or buy NVR software (like Blue Iris) to handle the recording. If you use software, you can easily backup the recorded files off site using various services and configurations. Some NAS manufacturers like QNAP and synology have apps that support IP cameras in their NAS devices you can then replicate the NAS data off site.

We use ZoneMinder as our NVR software at work. It's open source and free. I have no idea how easy it is to set up but it works well.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

30 minutes ago, brwainer said:

We use ZoneMinder as our NVR software at work. It's open source and free. I have no idea how easy it is to set up but it works well.

Zoneminder runs on Linux and you need to be pretty well versed in Linux to set it up.

1 hour ago, beavo451 said:

Zoneminder runs on Linux and you need to be pretty well versed in Linux to set it up.

well it's a good thing one of our programmers sets up every one of the servers and they only let me do the configuration of the system after ZoneMinder is running then! I only touch the network, cameras, and ZoneMinder web UI.

Edit: To be clear I'm pretty decent at Linux.... with a google search or two every minute. I get the basics but things like SELinux are quite beyond me.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: