PC parts help

Hey guys so I've picked out some parts 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fabros/saved/4MRD4D

I'm trying to make a workstation and play most games at around 60fps on medium to high settings

Is this build alright, any improvements?

Also is this motherboard good for gaming or will it have issues???

You need DDR4 RAM with Skylake

so you will need to upgrade your motherboard to support the needed DDR4 memory

your PSU isn't great either, but its ok with your budget

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

It's fine aside from the mediocre PSU (I'd opt the 500B over the CX series) and the SSD (the A-data SP550 and the Sandisk SSD Plus are much better options).

Try to get a motherboard with DDR4.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Should I just change downgrade my CPU to the last gen or is this CPU a huge improvement?

I would swap the PSU out for something different. The SSD also has poor performance for the price. You also go with an Intel Xeon LGA 1151 CPU and have similar performance to the i7-6700, you'll just need a C232 motherboard though. 

If you are building a workstation you may want to get the E5 2670. It is an 8 core CPU that goes for about 70 on Ebay. It is the chip I have. I was able to get it a motherboard and 16GBs of RAM for exactly 300 dollars. It is an amazing workstation CPU and also good for gaming. It will also let you get a nice GPU. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

10 minutes ago, Fabros said:

Here, better everything

do you already have that GPU?

Also if you're going to buy windows, don't buy an OEM key as they're only supposed to work once

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/knccdC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/knccdC/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($327.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($65.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.79 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.25 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($192.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: AOC I2269VW 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $977.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-22 01:34 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Wow you guys are really helpful, I'd actually prefer to have an i7 and I already got the graphics card from  a friend who got a better card

Well,I think your newer one is good enough.
But if you really want to play good games and have enough budget, I highly recommend you to get a Navdia GTX 970 or higher.

(GTX970/ GTX980/ GTX980 TI/ GTX Titan/GTX780 TI)

And if you can, change a motherboard that support DDR4.

1 minute ago, kroulis said:

Well,I think your newer one is good enough.
But if you really want to play good games and have enough budget, I highly recommend you to get a Navdia GTX 970 or higher.

(GTX970/ GTX980/ GTX980 TI/ GTX Titan/GTX780 TI)

Really doesn't need any of that over a 950 for 1080p gaming

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Really doesn't need any of that over a 950 for 1080p gaming

LOL. So I think that's enough. A DDR4 motherboard?

Ok I will probably go for a DDR4 motherboard, better sandisk SSD and a more reliable PSU 

• Ditch the i7. You just don't need it. Grab a i5 6500. It is great for gaming and will offer some higher end preformance if you decide to take up some video editing or somthing similar 
  • also ditch the 16 gigs of ram. You will be fine with 8gb. If you need more it is a cheap and easy upgrade. 
  • Get a H170 board. You only need a 'Z' or 'X' chipset if your processor has a 'K' at the end. 
  • Storage is fine. There are better SSDs out there but for that price you are fine. The hard drive is fine but APPARENTLY Seagate drives have a higher failiyre rate. Despite this I have used seagate drives heaps over the years and they have been fine. All that said I would reccomend a WD blue 1tb
  • Either go down to a Corsair RM550 or get a overall cheaper supply. Maybe a CX500M or a 500B. 
  • That card is fine but still kinda low end. Take the money you will save on the CPU and spend it on a r9 380. 
  • Get a cheap copy of Windows from kinguin if you want
  • Get a larger monitor. 21.5" is simply tiny. You will get sick of it. Get 24" as a minimum and I reccomend 27". 
  • Maybe look at a quieter cooling solution than what comes with the eh CPU and the case. Maybe Noctua redux fans and a BeQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim. 
  • Peripherals? 

Hope me I helped :) 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

13 minutes ago, Fabros said:

Ok this is what I think I will go with

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fabros/saved/4MRD4D

No point to a Z170 board for a locked CPU

Don't buy an OEM key if you're going to buy a windows key

that display is still crap, mostly being a TN display

and that power supply isn't going to be good for the money, the one in my build has similar specs for $30 less

Spoiler

Ok guys thanks alot you have been really helpful and I didn't expect so much help 

I will edit my list in my free time :D