Future Build

Would recommend a 5820k which is a nicer hexa core bc it's going for 350 (usually 400) on newegg but the cheapest x99 mobo i saw was like 160. But this would still be a good option bc the x99 plat has xeons, more 5th gen i7's, and some new 6th gen i7's coming out for it, so a better upgrade path then the 4790k.

Looks nice. I had a 960 for a bit, it's a really nice card. I'd say go!

2 minutes ago, Fungal said:

Would recommend a 5820k which is a nicer hexa core bc it's going for 350 (usually 400) on newegg but the cheapest x99 mobo i saw was like 160. But this would still be a good option bc the x99 plat has xeons, more 5th gen i7's, and some new 6th gen i7's coming out for it, so a better upgrade path then the 4790k.

I'll keep that in mind ;)

8 minutes ago, KRC1023 said:

Looks nice. I had a 960 for a bit, it's a really nice card. I'd say go!

Yay!

Can't overclock the i7 4790K on the H97 motherboard, the R9 380 performs better than the GTX 960 and that PSU is simply not adequate for a build like this (a SeaSonic or XFX would be a much better choice quality-wise).

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

• I know you said that you play CPU intensive games but still consider a high end i5 like a 6600k. I'm not sure what games you play but you will be  sacrificing minimal preformance and saving money
  • if you don't switch out the i7 maybe look at a either a z97 motherboard or a i7 4790 as you cannot take advantage of the unlocked chip. 
  • Get a 2x 4gb kit of ram rather than a single 8gb stick. 
  • Get a small SSD if you can budget it in. Maybe 120gb for OS and a few apps and games 
  • Look at a much better cooler than the 212 evo.  Maybe have a look at the nhd14
  • Get a 380. Better value and a better card overall. 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133