Cords kinked

15Evan15

just built a pc but the wall to pc to monitor to keyboard etc.. were all too long. so what i did was coil them up. not in a circle but I held out a flat hand and wrapped them around, then zip tied the middle. when i did this with the 3rd cor, i heard a very bad sound like the cord inside was tearing (keyboard cord) now i want to coil them in a circle. but the cords are all kinked up now, will unkinking them tear the cords like bending metal back and forth? if i DO damage the cord. will it cxause a performance deecrease?

If you damage the insulation, it won't decrease performance but it will increase the chances of something going inside the cable and shorting stuff out. When I say insulation damage, I'm talking about tearing through it completely and seeing bare wire inside. If you damage the wires, you could cause issues, including the device no longer functioning at all with that particular cable.

You need to be careful how tight you make zip ties as you can damage wire insulation if it's too tight.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well its already torn, but you may have just heard it cracking if it's thick plastic/insulator... just loosen it up abit and hope it didn't damage it too much(ie the inside wires). You should be fine to wrap in a circle but be careful this time lol

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]