Air cooler for a mild overclock?

sashogolowin

Hey guys

I am looking to build an 6600K gaming system, with a gtx 970 (or its equivalent from the Pascal generation); no experience in overclocking, I am aiming to get around 4.1-4.3 Ghz and keep it relatively quiet+cool. I could do with some feedback on choosing my Air cooler:

Cooler Master shows promise with their 212X and 612 V2 - though I got some concern whether the 212X will handle itself under stress; and whether the few bucks I shave with the 612 compared to the other brands are worth it...
be quiet! Dark Rock 3 is also a good contender - however based on several reviews its 'quiet' status (shaving 1-2 DBs here and there) seems somewhat exaggerated given its nearly 2x price compared to CM 212
Cryorig's H5 Ultimate and H7 apparently are both good for this kind of thing (I'm going for a HyperX Fury memory, so I suppose there will be no issues with RAM clearance with the H5).

Advice?

the dark rock 3 is a very good cooler but for that price i think coolermaster and corsair offer a aio liquid cooler, i have the 212 and im running my 4690k @ 4.2 ghz and under full load the temps are never exceed 60c so the 212 would be a good option  

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

A 212 something something will be more than you need.

Those OC are doable on stock cooler.

Hyper 212 EVO from Coolermaster

It's a good Cooler, but I prefer the looks of the CRYORIG C7

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Cheers for the info!

@scobie56 - Not wild on watercooling within this budged (max. 50EU), though I am thinking of getting a Define S, for watercooling support later down the line

Yes, the Hyper Evo 212 is quiet, cheap, and extremely silent. Would recommend to anyone for mild OC and cooling. 

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

1 minute ago, sashogolowin said:

Cheers for the info!

@scobie56 - Not wild on watercooling within this budged (max. 50EU), though I am thinking of getting a Define S, for watercooling support later down the line

yh i was just saying about the price of the dark rock 3, in the UK that thing costs £60-65 

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

2 minutes ago, scobie56 said:

yh i was just saying about the price of the dark rock 3, in the UK that thing costs £60-65 

Yeah, I get where you are coming from. I am based in Germany and the Dark Rock 3 is around 55-60EU right now. In that budget, I've only seen the CM Seidon 120V, which most reviews show close to no improvement in temperatures/noise levels.

6 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Yes, the Hyper Evo 212 is quiet, cheap, and extremely silent. Would recommend to anyone for mild OC and cooling. 

Cheers mate! Why the EVO and not the 212X though? :) I know its a legend, but I read mostly improvements on the 212X side.

3 minutes ago, sashogolowin said:

Cheers mate! Why the EVO and not the 212X though? :) I know its a legend, but I read mostly improvements on the 212X side.

Well for 1, I never heard of it till just now. xD! But It is also $12 more on Newegg. The 212x does look better, (and literally LOOK better), but I cannot really find much fault in my 212. 

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

2 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Well for 1, I never heard of it till just now. xD! But It is also $12 more on Newegg. The 212x does look better, (and literally LOOK better), but I cannot really find much fault in my 212. 

Yeah, the difference here is only 3EU, though I was rather annoyed when the EVO (or the 212X for that matter) did not fit in a CM Silencio 352. I was going for a 50:50 performance to silence thing - and both of these are 3mm over the max CPU cooler size. Damn shame...

Any Be Quiet cooler will do exceptional job.

I got Pure Rock (which is "low range") and its simply amazing. Aida64 stress test on my i5 6500 (OC to 4GHz) shows max 40 °C . And you literally cant hear it.

Many thanks for the feedback! 212EVO seems (still) the most appropriate choice :) I've got just one last theoretical question:
Exactly how much performance have you squeezed out of a 212EVO? I am aiming at above 4.0Ghz, as a general guideline, but I wonder how far can I push that CPU cooler - as I am rather uncertain as to what a 'mild' overclock is considered amongst the OC community.

6 minutes ago, sashogolowin said:

Many thanks for the feedback! 212EVO seems (still) the most appropriate choice :) I've got just one last theoretical question:
Exactly how much performance have you squeezed out of a 212EVO? I am aiming at above 4.0Ghz, as a general guideline, but I wonder how far can I push that CPU cooler - as I am rather uncertain as to what a 'mild' overclock is considered amongst the OC community.

I got my 4690k to 4.5Ghz at very comfortable temperatures, but the 6600k is certainly cooler chip. I would expect to get be able to get 4.7Ghz, but it depends on your board. To OC unless your board has enough heatsinks or VRM. 

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

4 hours ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

I got my 4690k to 4.5Ghz at very comfortable temperatures, but the 6600k is certainly cooler chip. I would expect to get be able to get 4.7Ghz, but it depends on your board. To OC unless your board has enough heatsinks or VRM. 

Good point dude.

I'm somewhat partial to the MSI z170m Mortar (metal PCI slot + audio on a separate circuitry); though a fallback option is the Asrock z170m Pro4S. From what I hear - those are OK given their price.

3 hours ago, sashogolowin said:

Good point dude.

I'm somewhat partial to the MSI z170m Mortar (metal PCI slot + audio on a separate circuitry); though a fallback option is the Asrock z170m Pro4S. From what I hear - those are OK given their price.

I would go with the MSI z170m for OC purposes.

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation