Upgrade Future

So this is a story all about how my computer got tricked, turned upside down... Ok, for real, I have a 4790K, 24Gb Ram, a 980Ti, and a Quadro 600 in my computer. My motherboard is the Asrock Extreme 6 z97. My monitor is an Asus PB258Q, 60Hz, QHD. I play mostly Rocket League, Cities Skylines, etc. 

Obviously, Overkill.

However, I LOVE overkill.

So, I am going to upgrade my PC again. Don't ask why, it is because I enjoy working on it.

Now the real question... How? I don't want to drop my 4790K, ram, and motherboard yet, and the quadro is kinda needed for my SolidWorks That means I have 2 real options for upgrading my PC, drop the quadro and go SLI 980Ti's (when the new gen comes out and I can snag a used 980Ti reference card cheap) with 2 850Evos in Raid 0, or keep the quadro, keep the single 980Ti, and go 950Pro for 'dat NVME.

I'm torn, not sure when, or if, the upgrade will happen, but want to know opinions. Thoughts?

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

Move over to an SSD only build and drop the HDDs, only keep them for backups maybe. Or be lazy like me and don't care about backups :P

That's what I'm gonna do next.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

1 minute ago, Mecami said:

Move over to an SSD only build and drop the HDDs, only keep them for backups maybe. Or be lazy like me and don't care about backups :P

That's what I'm gonna do next.

SSD Only is Ideal, But my steam library is a bit... Prohibitive. I Have 1 250Gb 850Evo now, gonna buy another soon for Raid 0 I think, but again, I may choose a bigger option (TWENTY 850 EVOs IN RAID 0 BECAUSE SPEEEEED)

13 minutes ago, Codyman125 said:

So this is a story all about how my computer got tricked, turned upside down... Ok, for real, I have a 4790K, 24Gb Ram, a 980Ti, and a Quadro 600 in my computer. My motherboard is the Asrock Extreme 6 z97. My monitor is an Asus PB258Q, 60Hz, QHD. I play mostly Rocket League, Cities Skylines, etc. 

Obviously, Overkill.

However, I LOVE overkill.

So, I am going to upgrade my PC again. Don't ask why, it is because I enjoy working on it.

Now the real question... How? I don't want to drop my 4790K, ram, and motherboard yet, and the quadro is kinda needed for my SolidWorks That means I have 2 real options for upgrading my PC, drop the quadro and go SLI 980Ti's (when the new gen comes out and I can snag a used 980Ti reference card cheap) with 2 850Evos in Raid 0, or keep the quadro, keep the single 980Ti, and go 950Pro for 'dat NVME.

I'm torn, not sure when, or if, the upgrade will happen, but want to know opinions. Thoughts?

Buy the prettiest most expensive case with tempered glass sides and do custom watercooling and insane lighting and stuff because everything else you talk about is un-justified and does not make sense what so ever...you're like me you're all set and it sucks...get into VR maybe? order a vive...that's what i plan to do in the near future.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Buy the prettiest most expensive case with tempered glass sides and do custom watercooling and stuff because everything else you talk about is un-justified and does not make sense what so ever...you're like me you,re all set and it sucks...get into VR maybe? order a vive...that's what i plan to do in the near future.

Already Running a Phantex Enthoo Luxe and full custom hard-line waterloop... The VR scene isn't my thing (yet) but good call there. I might get into it once it doesn't suck. (My friend has a DK2 and it kinda turned me off to the whole thing)

It would be pretty mental to upgrade from the i7 to skylake, maybe pick up the second 980ti after pascal drops, although you might be kneecapping yourself if you go for a reference model 

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings

1 hour ago, Van Weapon said:

It would be pretty mental to upgrade from the i7 to skylake, maybe pick up the second 980ti after pascal drops, although you might be kneecapping yourself if you go for a reference model 

I assume you mean menial, not mental, lol. Anyway, I have a full custom water loop, So I'd get the Reference so I can put a water block on it easily. 

1 hour ago, Codyman125 said:

I assume you mean menial, not mental, lol. Anyway, I have a full custom water loop, So I'd get the Reference so I can put a water block on it easily. 

Mental, as in mentally insane as a performance upgrade of 10-15% would cost you over $1500 

EDIT: The reference makes sense in that case then 

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings