Nikon Camera

I currently use a Nikon D50 with a 18-70mm lens and a Lumix GF1 with a 14-45mm lens. 

However recently I have wanted to get a new camera. Since I primarly use the Nikon D50 I would like to get a new nikon camera. I have a budget of around £600

If any one could recommend me a camera for that budget. I do not need a lens included however if it is a good deal it would be nice.

It would really help me if you could support my instagram account Ben.Wiggins_Photogaphy 

Thanks

Nikon D3x00 or D5x00 series camera.  Look for a body only version and use your 18-70 lens.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 hour ago, BoldNoble1 said:

would you recommend a nikon d5500?

It's a good camera.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

15 hours ago, BoldNoble1 said:

would you recommend a nikon d5500?

I have a d5300 and it is a fantastic camera.  There is no sensor or processor difference between the d5500 and d5300.

So if you can pick up a d5300 for cheaper its a good idea.  

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Recently my uncle who is a camera man has said that the lens I currently have will not work with a new camera. He has told me to invest in a canon camera instead as they are better.

I am currently looking at a Canon 760D with an 18-105mm lens for £550.

Good or bad?

Thanks

I'm not sure the upgrade is really necessary but that is up to you. About the 5x00 serie, I have the 5300 and it's really good, the 5500 doesn't have anything better so if you can get the 5300 cheaper I would say go for this one (unless you really want one of the 3 new features of the 5500). But I would recommend to go for the 7x00 serie if you can afford it since it has a motor which will allow you to auto focus on older lenses. The 5x00 can't do that. And older lenses are to keep in mind because they are often (a lot) cheaper and sometimes even better (rarely worse) than new lenses. So it will allow you to save a ton of money ;)

One thing to note is that your lenses are probably (depending on the age, but more than likely considering it's on a D50) driven by the focus motor of the camera.

That being said, the D3xxx series and D5xxx series do not offer that as a feature on the camera.  This means you have very few options in the crop sensor market.  Using the 7xxx line, in your price range, getting the d7100 would probably be your best bet for prosumer.  The other option is find a used D300s or D300 (video is the difference here, which is horrible quality so it really doesn't matter).  The D300 line will be a very VERY high quality camera, with pro level body and design, however it is older and only has a 12mp sensor, so if you're doing large scale prints or cropping, this might not be enough.

Your other option in the current market is to switch to a full frame camera, lenses are still compatible, however, the camera will either auto crop (new camera) or you will have to manually crop out the very odd black borders.  Your options here are the D610 (do not buy a used d600) or a used D700 (great camera, still rather expensive)

Oh... and the good thing is all the cameras I listed support the Nikon CLS system via pop-flash, so... Enjoy off camera flash.

I hope this helps.

On 28 March 2016 at 2:13 PM, BoldNoble1 said:

Recently my uncle who is a camera man has said that the lens I currently have will not work with a new camera. He has told me to invest in a canon camera instead as they are better.

I am currently looking at a Canon 760D with an 18-105mm lens for £550.

Good or bad?

Thanks

Your uncle said the Nikon 18-70 DX G lens will not work with a more modern Nikon entry level DSLR?

If this is the lens you have, it will work with D3x00 and D5x00 cameras.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/324190-USA/Nikon_2149_18_70mm_f_3_5_4_5_G_AFS_ED_IF.html

The GF1 lens will not work with Nikon or Canon for certain.