Recommendations

k1ng_alex

Hello all,

I have this idea to have a solar panel strapped to my backpack charging a portable battery bank for emergency power , or charging devices on the go.

The idea is for it to be super rugged , high capacity and cost effective.

Ive seen linus use the ChargeTech which sounds ideal for me , but that cost kinda sucks and im guessing I would need more than just a cable from the solar panel to charge the battery.

Id love to hear your suggestions , devices Id like to charge are the normal stuff , phones, cameras , it would be cool to charge my mac book pro 2015 but thats more of a bonus .    

Just now, k1ng_alex said:

phones, cameras , it would be cool to charge my mac book pro 2015 but thats more of a bonus .    

a solar panel on a bag pack would hardly be able to charge a phone, let alone a mac book

besides, its a fragile thing so not producing enough current is the least of your concerns lol

if its practical then we'll see it everywhere by now :D 

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

a solar panel on a bag pack would hardly be able to charge a phone, let alone a mac book

besides, its a fragile thing so not producing enough current is the least of your concerns lol

if its practical then we'll see it everywhere by now :D 

there are panels designed for camping, they can do between 5-15 watts , sure it alone can't charge a laptop the idea is to have it charge a battery bank that way when i need it its there for me,

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

The surface area of a backpack and the amount of time it's actually in the sun for is pretty much going to render your idea useless for all but emergency situations and that's assuming you live somewhere fairly sunny. You'd be SoL if you lived in the north of England :P

Just now, k1ng_alex said:

there are panels designed for camping, they can do between 5-15 watts , sure it alone can't charge a laptop the idea is to have it charge a battery bank that way when i need it its there for me,

truthfully, you're better off with a solar mat that can be folded and kept in a box with a 5V, 12V, and 19V VRM

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately