GH4 Change Shutter Speed in Video?

Hey guys so I recently got a GH4 from Panasonic with a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and the correct speed booster from metabones. My issue is that I cannot change the shutter speed in video like I could with the T3i. Any ideas? There is literally nothing online about this at all from what I can see. Also the reason I want to change the shutter speed is because I have 3 softbox video lights that seem to flicker and I don't want them to on the video. Am in 4K @30fps. Thanks in advance.

No one likes fanboys.

What shutter speed are you using and what do you want to change it to?

Check this video:

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

I am not even sure what I'm on at the minute. Nothing on screen. And I don't know, I was going to count on trial and error to figure it out!

No one likes fanboys.

8 minutes ago, TehhMiik said:

I am not even sure what I'm on at the minute. Nothing on screen. And I don't know, I was going to count on trial and error to figure it out!

Well you do realize, I hope, that for nearly every camera on the market if you record a video at X frame rate, your shutter speed cannot be slower than 1/X.  So 30fps you cannot shoot slower than 1/30 and try to select 1/24.  General rule is to use a 180 degree shutter angle, meaning shutter speed is 1/(2*X) double your frame rate.

The thing is you might not be able to change shutter speed once you start recording, I doubt any camera will let you do that.  So you need to set it before hand.

Additionally, what is the frequency of the AC electricity in your country?  Check what it is and see if the GH4 has a flicker reduction option in the camera to set it to 60hz or 50hz.  If it doesn't you might have to use the video frame rate and shutter speed to reduce flickering.

For example

60hz countries: use something like 30fps with 1/60 shutter speed

50hz countries: use something like 25fps with 1/50 shutter speed

If you are recording high frame rates for slow motion, like 1080p120fps forget it.  Chances are you will always see flickering of lights (consumer grade, household lights) with such high frame rates.

One of the best ways to make sure flickering never occurs or drastically reduce change of it is to use flicker free lights, but they can be pricey.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

12 minutes ago, TehhMiik said:

And I don't know, I was going to count on trial and error to figure it out!

You should always know what shutter speed or angle you are using.

6 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Well you do realize, I hope, that for nearly every camera on the market if you record a video at X frame rate, your shutter speed cannot be slower than 1/X.  So 30fps you cannot shoot slower than 1/30 and try to select 1/24.  General rule is to use a 180 degree shutter angle, meaning shutter speed is 1/(2*X) double your frame rate.

The thing is you might not be able to change shutter speed once you start recording, I doubt any camera will let you do that.  So you need to set it before hand.

Additionally, what is the frequency of the AC electricity in your country?  Check what it is and see if the GH4 has a flicker reduction option in the camera to set it to 60hz or 50hz.  If it doesn't you might have to use the video frame rate and shutter speed to reduce flickering.

For example

60hz countries: use something like 30fps with 1/60 shutter speed

50hz countries: use something like 25fps with 1/50 shutter speed

If you are recording high frame rates for slow motion, like 1080p120fps forget it.  Chances are you will always see flickering of lights (consumer grade, household lights) with such high frame rates.

One of the best ways to make sure flickering never occurs is to use flicker free lights, but they can be pricey.

I am aware of most of this. What I'm asking is what button combination do I press to get to the point where I can actually change the bleddy thing xD

No one likes fanboys.

5 minutes ago, TehhMiik said:

I am aware of most of this. What I'm asking is what button combination do I press to get to the point where I can actually change the bleddy thing xD

Watch the video I posted or read the camera manual?

51 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Check this video:

Hey again. My menus look nothing like this?

No one likes fanboys.

Can you post a photo of your camera's menu?

4 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Can you post a photo of your camera's menu?

pingj.jpg

No one likes fanboys.

Do you see the shutter speed if you mount a Panasonic lens?

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

Do you see the shutter speed if you mount a Panasonic lens?

I don't own any other lens :c

No one likes fanboys.

Ok which specific speedbooster model do you have?

And what mode are you on the camera, shutter priority, aperture priority, full auto or manual?

2 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Ok which specific speedbooster model do you have?

The Canon EF to MicroFourThirds T 

MB_SPEF-m43-BT4

Speed Boost Ultra 0.71x

No one likes fanboys.

On your photo, I only see ISO and White Balance mode, aside from the other info for video.  There should be two more info at the bottom, one for aperture and one for shutter speed.

The speedbooster shouldn't be an issue, unless Panasonic doesn't really detect that there is a lens mounted.  Check if you need to update the firmware.

Just now, ALwin said:

On your photo, I only see ISO and White Balance mode, aside from the other info for video.  There should be two more info at the bottom, one for aperture and one for shutter speed.

I can change the aperture but shutter speed I can't figure out :c

No one likes fanboys.

3 minutes ago, TehhMiik said:

I can change the aperture but shutter speed I can't figure out :c

What mode is the camera set to, Shutter priority, Aperture priority, etc?  Try manual or Shutter priority.  Can video be used with those modes?

• 2 years later...
On 19/03/2016 at 5:29 PM, TehhMiik said:

Hey guys so I recently got a GH4 from Panasonic with a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and the correct speed booster from metabones. My issue is that I cannot change the shutter speed in video like I could with the T3i. Any ideas? There is literally nothing online about this at all from what I can see. Also the reason I want to change the shutter speed is because I have 3 softbox video lights that seem to flicker and I don't want them to on the video. Am in 4K @30fps. Thanks in advance.

Just found out watching this video attached at 4 minutes. Under the "motion picture menu", change the mode to M. There we go, the back dial will change the sutter speed. (:

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2016 at 11:23 PM, TehhMiik said:

pingj.jpg

Don't get me wrong, but to me, it looks like you're not in the manual video mode. I'd try switchting to that and then trying to set a custom shutter speed/angle.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the post above this one.

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace