Netgear Switches

Beyondtech

Netgear Switches  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Are NETGEAR switches in general reliable and work well?

• No
    • Yes

Are Netgear switches reliable for long uptime and for 24/7 use?

BeyondTech

DISCLAIMER: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of his family or of the little green men that have been following him all day. 
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for some of the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.

My Rig:

-  Intel 4790K (overclocked 4.4Ghz)

-  Dual Gtx 970 FTW

-  Asus Z97-DELUXE/USB 3.1

-  16GB Corsair Vengeance

-  Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD

-  Corsair AX1200i (why? I have no clue... )

-  Hyper 212 Evo

Depends on the type of load, requirements, environment and switch model. It's not as simple as yes or no. 

If you go for the cheapest switch they have, then have it being bombarded with constant data to and from servers, it's probably not going to cope too well. 

If you care about reliability, get at least a"smart" switch not an unmanaged switch because smart switches are built for small business and have at least marginally better hardware than unmanahed switches. And a Smart switch can be monitored and you have at least *something* to log into while TSing random issues.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Ok... Let me make myself more clear.

I am looking at getting two of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZCFVVC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_10&smid=A2I4D0WO1JEMBA

And one of: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-12-Port-10GBase-T-XS712T-100NES/dp/B00BWBLL6S/ref=pd_bxgy_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FZY8GYVN5GME5TPD5D4

This network will be hosting an international file server and media server used by a business. This network will mostly be just a backup but will have some primary data being stored. This network will be absolutely hammered in the morning when all of the nightly backups go off. As this is mainly just a backup, it is not worth moving up to the next tier with cisco gear but I am still looking for high quality, managed gear. 

I have looked at the reviews of these products and it all seems good, but I have heard the maybe 10-15 years ago, NETGEAR gear was not consistent/reliable.

Thanks,

BeyondTech

BeyondTech

DISCLAIMER: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of his family or of the little green men that have been following him all day. 
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for some of the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.

My Rig:

-  Dual Gtx 970 FTW

-  Hyper 212 Evo

Netgear has turned around, partially because they wanted to get into the (relatively) lucrative business world where their crappy hardware wouldn't fly. The models you linked are perfectly capable devices, and are specifically tested for abuse.

The thing you should be looking at in this case is what type of warranty is available and what is their shipping policy for RMAs? I wouldn't buy any switch for serious enterprise use without a lifetime limited warranty and next day shipping of a replacement in advance of you returning the bad switch. HP offers this on some of their middle/lower tier models. I have not looked at your two netgear switches to see what warranty and RMA service they offer.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

54 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Netgear has turned around, partially because they wanted to get into the (relatively) lucrative business world where their crappy hardware wouldn't fly. The models you linked are perfectly capable devices, and are specifically tested for abuse.

The thing you should be looking at in this case is what type of warranty is available and what is their shipping policy for RMAs? I wouldn't buy any switch for serious enterprise use without a lifetime limited warranty and next day shipping of a replacement in advance of you returning the bad switch. HP offers this on some of their middle/lower tier models. I have not looked at your two netgear switches to see what warranty and RMA service they offer.

Good point... I have looked into that and they both come with lifetime warranty, lifetime next day replacement, and lifetime 24/7 advanced tech support.

Thank you!

~BeyondTech

BeyondTech

My Rig:

-  Dual Gtx 970 FTW

-  Hyper 212 Evo

4 hours ago, Beyondtech said:

Ok... Let me make myself more clear.

I am looking at getting two of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZCFVVC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_10&smid=A2I4D0WO1JEMBA

And one of: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-12-Port-10GBase-T-XS712T-100NES/dp/B00BWBLL6S/ref=pd_bxgy_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FZY8GYVN5GME5TPD5D4

This network will be hosting an international file server and media server used by a business. This network will mostly be just a backup but will have some primary data being stored. This network will be absolutely hammered in the morning when all of the nightly backups go off. As this is mainly just a backup, it is not worth moving up to the next tier with cisco gear but I am still looking for high quality, managed gear. 

I have looked at the reviews of these products and it all seems good, but I have heard the maybe 10-15 years ago, NETGEAR gear was not consistent/reliable.

Thanks,

BeyondTech

Yes, Netgear are no longer (if they ever were) known for being unreliable. I say go for it, assuming you have looked up other alternatives and know which features you want/don't want.

Just a little tip which you should already know if you are in charge of upgrading your network, it is very handy to use the same brand of gear on your network if possible. It can make things like monitoring with SNMP a lot easier. Some features of certain gear does not have cross-vendor support either (Cisco are notorious regarding this).

I have one netgear switch and a netgear router. Both have been reliable dependable devices for longer than I remember, I don't honestly know how old they actually are, maybe the switch is 10 years old and the router/modem 7 years. Regardless I have had zero issues with them its been one of the few networking products that has given me no grief at all. Its only one data point and it says nothing for their other products as every company has lemons but my experience has been good and positive.